Self employed nail tech putting her own 'stamp' in the salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
This could sound vile but can you tell me how I could be diplomatic in this Situation I've just taken on a self employed nail tech 4 days p.w (were open 7)
She has set up her area to work ( furniture provided by me) and has added lots of colour and accessories! & tack..I'm talking pinks blacks reds and blues. My salon is natural and tranquil and the whole ethos is relaxation. This nail station is in a shared area and looks awful!....clients have even commented that it doesn't go with the salons look. Do I even have right to comment ?

What can I say /do without being horrid ...I'm awful in these situations as I'm not very diplomatic at the best of times x

Last edited:
Can you put a screen around it for privacy? It would give her space on the inside to display posters, price lists etc?.

Maybe order a decal for your side in your colours "nail techs name nail desk"

I'd let it go. She is self employed so she can do what she likes (within reason) with the space so as long as she's clean and tidy, I think you have to accept that she has a different style from you.
You never know, she might start to copy your style in time.

I was in the nail tech's position once upon a time. I had to ask permission for everything, I wanted to display an enlarged professionally printed price list in the window, as my treatments were being interrupted with potential clients coming in to ask for prices. I was told I couldn't do that, I had to buy ridiculously expensive OPI posters that gave no information whatsoever because it suited her. In the end I got an A board for outside the salon with professionally printed price lists, which she was super jealous of. It was almost as if she saw me as competition, even though she was a stylist. She tried to control everything I did, and as a selfy I felt employed by her. I ended up leaving.

Now I'm not saying you would do any of that, and of course that is an extreme case. However, I expected as a selfy renting a space, to give and take in these situations. I don't think a gentle chat would hurt, maybe look at things together and see if you can come to a compromise? Just explain you value her and her work, but would like the salon to be matched aesthetically, as it benefits both of you lucratively. I think the most important thing is don't make her feel like she isn't self employed, I'm sure you'll be great :)

Good luck!

I was in the nail tech's position once upon a time. I had to ask permission for everything, I wanted to display an enlarged professionally printed price list in the window, as my treatments were being interrupted with potential clients coming in to ask for prices. I was told I couldn't do that, I had to buy ridiculously expensive OPI posters that gave no information whatsoever because it suited her. In the end I got an A board for outside the salon with professionally printed price lists, which she was super jealous of. It was almost as if she saw me as competition, even though she was a stylist. She tried to control everything I did, and as a selfy I felt employed by her. I ended up leaving.

Now I'm not saying you would do any of that, and of course that is an extreme case. However, I expected as a selfy renting a space, to give and take in these situations. I don't think a gentle chat would hurt, maybe look at things together and see if you can come to a compromise? Just explain you value her and her work, but would like the salon to be matched aesthetically, as it benefits both of you lucratively. I think the most important thing is don't make her feel like she isn't self employed, I'm sure you'll be great :)

Good luck!

Oh wow I would never do this .....My only issue is the decor, it just doesn't fit.
Everything else she pretty much has free reign x

Aww, this sounds like me I rent a room in a beautifully modern/minimalish tanning salon but I LOVE chintz
And tack. And photos, flyers, mirrors, decorative pots, fake plants & shabby chic furniture...

She may just have got caught up in the excitement of buying bits for her first 'space'. I put as much love into my room as I would a whole shop, she might just be a bit excitable :)

I think a lil word with her would be fine, im a big believer its not what you say, but the way you say it xx

Oh wow I would never do this .....My only issue is the decor, it just doesn't fit.
Everything else she pretty much has free reign x

I know..hopefully you can come to an agreement :) x

Latest posts

Back