Self employed nail tech?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace_Hair

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a hairdresser and was thinking about getting in a nail tech next year. I wanted some advice.

I know it obviously depends on the area. But, how much would be a reasonable amount to charge? Would it be better for me to charge a percentage or a base rent? Or, can I combine the two, without taking the mick out of the nail tech?
I would expect the nail tech to provide all their own products.

Also, would you as a nail tech prefer a proper nail table or something like the picture below?

Are there any other things you would recommend taking into consideration?

TIA
f5f64285e63abb9f7aa008bfb4440cfe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is both important and fair to be realistic realistic.
A nail technician needs a space ... About 8 feet square.
I myself would want to pay a straight rent, provide my own products and to choose the type of desk at which I am comfortable to work.
I would not work anywhere that I had to pay a percentage. I would feel that if it is my a space then the work I do with my hands should be mine.
I would be happy to include within my rent, an amount to share washing and coffee facilities.
I would want my rent fixed for at least 18 months.
It takes time to build up business in a new location so it would be nice to work up over three moths to the full rent.
It would be really nice to have a 3 month clause in the agreement where either I could leave if things didn't work out, or you could ask me to leave. For legitimate reasons.
I would take my own appointments and handle all customer enquiries and queries.
I would hope to bring new custom to the hairdressers and I would expect them to also cross promote my services.
I think it is important to cover all points from both sides in a legal agreement.
I hope this gives you some ideas.

I rent a beauty room in a Hair salon and pay a daily rent that includes all bills, use all my own products, work my own hours and have my own nail table that I brought with me. I would definitely not use the item in the picture.

I agree with everything geeg said, however I've rented the nail area out in my shop twice this year & the downfalls were that they diddnt have a well enough established client base prior to starting so struggled to meet the rent some weeks, next time I will definatley do a percentage split, however I'm not really sure how ill be able monitor what work she's actually doing? (I wouldn't be taking the money because she'd be self employed) I worry they'll lie and say they made less lol, also personalities within the salon can clash that's always difficult to work around too, maybe decide a trial period before signing a contract

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back