Self employed or salon employed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbee1

Reaction score
hi,
i need some advice, im at a dilemma.
do i work for a salon offering to pay me £5.93 per hour,(materials provided) when i have clients booked in? or go self employed and pay a set rent and go mobile aswell?

what would work out the most cost effective?
help please

hi,
i need some advice, im at a dilemma.
do i work for a salon offering to pay me £5.93 per hour,(materials provided) when i have clients booked in? or go self employed and pay a set rent and go mobile aswell?

what would work out the most cost effective?
help please

As long as the rent is reasonable it is always best to be your own boss and to work as self employed in the salon .. no mobile ... full time self employed.

I ran into a similar situation when I finished school. I thought it would be good to get some experience in a salon, but when I went to meet the owner she wanted someone with a year of experience (which I obviously didn't have). So I decided to go it alone and it was the best move I ever made. I have a steady clientele and have a fully licensed home based spa :) I am my own boss, can spend more time with my family and can pick my own hours.. is the BEST!:lol:

I ran into a similar situation when I finished school. I thought it would be good to get some experience in a salon, but when I went to meet the owner she wanted someone with a year of experience (which I obviously didn't have). So I decided to go it alone and it was the best move I ever made. I have a steady clientele and have a fully licensed home based spa :) I am my own boss, can spend more time with my family and can pick my own hours.. is the BEST!:lol:

This is my dream for 2011 Helkat, glad to hear you enjoy it :green:

I agree hun, be self employed if you can. Much more flexibility and opportunity to work harder for more reward x

thanks for your comments, i think ill go it alone, at least then what i earn will go into my pocket rather than someone elses. ill be doing a job i love and getting full gratification.
thankyou so much,
now just on to do a business plan and come up with a name lol x:o

Depends how much money you need and how soon. Can you allow time to build a clientelle?

If you can then go for it...I went SE straight away and got my own salon within 3 months, its possible but hard work x

i have just started out on my own after been salon based, it's a little slow at the moment but i would never go back in a salon it's nice to be my own boss :)

As long as the rent is reasonable it is always best to be your own boss and to work as self employed in the salon .. no mobile ... full time self employed.

Hey Geeg, just curious - what's your reason for advising against mobile - is it the time taken travelling? What are your thought's on home salons?

Hey Geeg, just curious - what's your reason for advising against mobile - is it the time taken travelling? What are your thought's on home salons?
My goodness, if you can do home service this is the BEST. Low overheads and make a beautiful salon expperience in your home.
Mobile .. donkey work! All that travelling and packing and unpacking .. clients who mess you about .. the danger of going you know not where or who is behind that door .. not for me .. I remember Susie Lamplugh .. do you?

Crikey I was going to go mobile for a few months then hopefully set up my own salon, but that's hit a chord! Yes, I do remember her and maybe I need to rethink and maybe look into setting up a salon instead of doing the mobile thing first... I was only going to go mobile firstly basically for the practice and to build clientele and then after 6 months or so the plan was to find a great place for my very own salon and set up.. but I'll have my nail trainer and a few guinea pigs for the practicing.
Made me rethink the whole mobile aspect :eek:

Xxx

My goodness, if you can do home service this is the BEST. Low overheads and make a beautiful salon expperience in your home.
Mobile .. donkey work! All that travelling and packing and unpacking .. clients who mess you about .. the danger of going you know not where or who is behind that door .. not for me .. I remember Susie Lamplugh .. do you?

Yes, it's the donkey work part that really bugs me, the unpacking and packing and travelling and unpacking then packing and so it goes on....

Have been in estate agency and having had what was almost a pretty nasty experience I totally get you on the not knowing what's on the other side of a door...yes, I remember her...tragic story and no matter how safety conscious you are you can never guarantee your safety in someone else's home. I would prefer to set up at home and we do have the space, the only trouble is we live 15 minutes from the centre of York and a mile out of a village up a half mile track so not sure how practical it is... Still thinking which way to go now I have made the decision to get back to what I really love doing.

Thanks for the advice and it will certainly make me think more seriously before I jump in doing it mobile again. x

I had a log cabin built at the bottom of my garden early summer, up and running since end of August. I have a cubicle area for spray tanning and the rest is my nails desk and display cabinet etc. I decided to do this rather than rent space, to keep overheads as low as possible.

To be honest some weeks are very quiet (thats when I panic and think i should rent a room in a busy salon:(...) but determined to keep going. After all, it its going to take time, so gradually adding more services i can offer. l

Did the Minx course early Oct and I adore them doing the crystal pedicure on myself tomorrow so can advertise it for Christmas!
I have done French tipped creations with Minx set in Acrylic which i simply love.
Plus doing semi perm Lash Fx Course in 2weeks.(feeling a little nervous but love lashes and thought it a great addition.)

Its wonderful to read your posts on here lots of great advice and encouragement:)

Lynda x B-Dazzle Nail & Tanning Salon, Norwich - Home

I had a log cabin built at the bottom of my garden early summer, up and running since end of August. I have a cubicle area for spray tanning and the rest is my nails desk and display cabinet etc. I decided to do this rather than rent space, to keep overheads as low as possible.

To be honest some weeks are very quiet (thats when I panic and think i should rent a room in a busy salon:(...) but determined to keep going. After all, it its going to take time, so gradually adding more services i can offer. l

Did the Minx course early Oct and I adore them doing the crystal pedicure on myself tomorrow so can advertise it for Christmas!
I have done French tipped creations with Minx set in Acrylic which i simply love.
Plus doing semi perm Lash Fx Course in 2weeks.(feeling a little nervous but love lashes and thought it a great addition.)

Its wonderful to read your posts on here lots of great advice and encouragement:)

Lynda x B-Dazzle Nail & Tanning Salon, Norwich - Home

Great, I recently moved to a house where I have room for something like that. Do you find it works well? Can I be cheeky and ask roughly how much you spent setting it up? Had a look at your website - it looks really nice. x

When I first set up my home salon I used to offer mobile to get the business going and to build a up a client base. I stopped pretty quickly because of one absolutely filthy home I had to go in!

I now only offer mobile to disabled clients and that is only because it would be impossible for a wheelchair to negotiate the step to get into my salon! I must admit I find mobile work a pain, moving all the stuff, the wasted time travelling and the usually uncomfortable chairs and table heights.

Latest posts

Back