Self employed/pregnant-advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bean

Reaction score
Calling all new mums old mums pregnant ladies and self employed with own business!

I've recently found out I'm pregnant and wondered what my options are when the baby comes along. I have been advised my a small business consultant either employ somebody and let them take my profit or only take a small amount of time off and hope that my clients come back!

Please any advice I would be grateful of xx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I'm interested to follow this as I will be planning my second next year. I've got my own business since having my first child and I've recently employed a new therapist to work along side me. My plans are to take 4 months off and she could cover my clients. I'm not even pregnant yet but need to think about these things as i can't risk losing my salon.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm expecting my third. I rent out a room and employ a part time therapist. I plan on taking 3 weeks off then go back 2 afternoons/evenings a week, slowly building back up to my 4 full days. My clients won't go to my therapist, she has had to build up her own clientele. I must have spoiled them all!!!

Your situation will depend on how you work your business. Are you a full time worker? Part time? Can your clients live without you for 4 months?

Good luck whatever you decide xx

Calling all new mums old mums pregnant ladies and self employed with own business!

I've recently found out I'm pregnant and wondered what my options are when the baby comes along. I have been advised my a small business consultant either employ somebody and let them take my profit or only take a small amount of time off and hope that my clients come back!

Please any advice I would be grateful of xx

Why do they have to take your profit? Just pay them minimum wage and you manage the business during your time off, you don't need to be there all that much, do you have anyone else working with you at the mo? If not maybe you should get someone in and trained up ready to oversee things while your away, my cousin went into a salon as a level 2 apprentice stayed there through level 3 then the manager left to have a baby and my cousin now runs the business for her so she can spend time with the baby

Hello. Congratulations! I'm due in April and am planning on taking 3 months off. I'm hoping my clients understand and may do a wee offer to say thanks for being patient and coming back :) xx

Hi, im due in the middle of March with my first :)
I rent a room and Im planning to take on a part time member of staff when im 6 or 7 months and I am hoping to work until 38wks, then have 8 weeks maternity leave.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am self employed and decided to take 9 months off when I had my baby in feb. I start back the beginning of November. I have got bookings coming in slowly but I knew it would be hard- I've lost loads of regulars. But I don't regret closing my door and spending that time with my boy, I would do the same again! Xx

I am self employed and decided to take 9 months off when I had my baby in feb. I start back the beginning of November. I have got bookings coming in slowly but I knew it would be hard- I've lost loads of regulars. But I don't regret closing my door and spending that time with my boy, I would do the same again! Xx

Lovely hearing what you chose to do. I'm tempted xx

I did exactly the same with both of mine!! But because I'm mobile I haven't got the overheads of a premises! I took 9 months off, cut my cloth accordingly because all I got was my SMP & did a couple of KIT days to boost money x

I would take 4 weeks or so off and then do my existing clients only. I work from home and mobile so I could easily still take a few a week. It can be done just working less and not taking on new clients.

It's great to hear what everyone is doing or has done, I really don't know what the best option for me is? Did any of you speak with your clients?

I work from home, currently in a room in my house as we've just moved however will hopefully be working from a cabin in the garden next year as I was before x

We're thinking (slowly) about having our first bambino and the plan is to take 2 weeks off and then return part time.
It's only me&hubby and we won't have childcare support from family or any financial support.
When hubby is working- I'll be with the baby and vice versa.
I work from the cabin and council will not allow me to employ anyone so I guess we need to get on with it :) x

I am like you and work from a home beauty room. I just told all my clients that I was taking the 9 months off and they were all fine with it- I am friendly with other nail techs etc in my town and just recommended others. This past 9 months has gone so fast, I personally would not have wanted to take any less time off. You will understand what I mean when your wee one comes along!! 😊As to only taking two weeks off........ Don't want to scare you but I couldn't walk let alone sit to work on clients after two weeks (I walked like John Wayne for about a month!) 😜 but everyone is different and you have to do what suits YOU xx

As to only taking two weeks off........ Don't want to scare you but I couldn't walk let alone sit to work on clients after two weeks (I walked like John Wayne for about a month!) �� but everyone is different and you have to do what suits YOU xx

Haha I was thinking the same thing :o
(Sorry!)

Yes I definitely won't be taking only two weeks off. At least I will want 3 months off and then go from there and probably start breaking back in gradually part time :)

i am currently self employed within a salon. I am due in april and i am worrying about this. so as mad as it is Im going to try and set a salon up at home and start getting clients to come to mine to try and keep them whilst my baby is here, because even though ive just had my 12 week scan i feel pushed out already that ill have no clients as they have started training someone up already for shellac and they will do my beauty clients :/

it's a big big stress but Im really worried ill have no clients to go back to :(

how did people cope on maternity allowance? Im starting to think i wont be able to afford the rent and bills as my boyfriend only works part time too?

Another question, people whom are only taking a small amount of time off will you be bottle feeding or breast feeding?

Hi I am currently self employed and my boy is 2 now, I took 9 months off, although I cherished the time i had off work with him i did lose a lot of my clients so was hard building it back up again, I am planning on having another baby but only having about 3 months off as I only work part time.

In relation to the comments made about only taking a few weeks off: I own a salon and have high overheads, working from home is completely different to the commitment of running a salon. As nice as it would be to have 9 months off it isin't always possible, and I would definitely lose my clients to other salons in that time.

To the op: it all comes down to what you can afford and how hard your willing to work to get your clients back xx

I'm being induced Saturday and I'm working until the end of the businesses a day Friday.

I own a salon and employ 2 therapists.

I will be having 3 weeks off apart from daily communication and wages, but this will be from home.

After that I will be popping in every day for a couple of hours (baby in tow, everyone loves to see a newborn baby!)

I think having a salon, with wages and overheads to pay whether you're there or not, means you can't just abandon ship for months.

My staff cover all opening hours so whilst I don't HAVE to do clients there is no-one on reception whilst in doing treatments and without a manager (and not being able to afford one) certain thugs won't be getting done. I will try and do as much as I can from home marketing, book keeping etc, but the manager needs to be about the salon.

I absolutely love work (no matter how hard being an employer/salon owner is), and think it is different to having a shine salon which will still be there after however long, Then you only need to work on building a client base again, or managing a manageable amount of clients.

Ive had 3 children, and I am under no illusions of how hard it will be to manage it all, the guilt, the pressure but closing the salon isn't an option, so I will be working to make the most of r all.

:)

Latest posts

Back