Self employed rent increase help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G's Beauty

Reaction score
Hi,
I've owned my small salon for almost 9 years now, I currently have 2 other girls as well as myself self employed there, one works part time and pays a set rent each month which I am happy with, the other girl works full time and when she started 5 years ago she had no client base, so I set a small rent to try and help her build her clientelle up, since then I have never put her rent up (bad business I know) but being off now during this quarantine I have never really appreciated how much the salon costs me each month to run (crazy how much you realise when you have no income coming in and all bills going out) so I know I need to put her rent up this year whenever we go back, as things have gone up aswell, like insurances are putting their premiums up etc.

Majority of the time it's just me and her in the salon working, therefore we have become really close friends and this is where I am struggling, how to approach and tell her the rent needs to go up, I know 2020 is going to be the ideal time as I can explain that the cost of things have gone up due to this and therefore her rent needs to go up. I am also concious that I don't want to bombard her as soon we re-open with this as I am aware she like the rest of us has no money at the minute and I don't want to cause any additional stress. However I have now realised I need to put myself and my business first, I am a single parent and this is my only source of income and what she gives me each week just simply isn't enough to cover even half of the bills anymore.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I know I need to grow some balls and take the bull by the horn, but for someone who is a people pleaser this is hard for me :oops:

Also, how much rent do people charge, I'm interested in keeping it on a rent basis rather than percentage, or how do you all work out how much rent to charge?

Thank in advance
Gemma

Didn’t want to read and run. Just need to do it like you said it! Grow some balls and say rents going up, “am sure you’ll understand. “Just be warned no friends in business. I charge £300 a month for a small room I rent to a lash tech, which I am happy with. Xx

Thankyou for your reply! Yes agreed, I need to grow some balls xx

I really sympathise with you. I have a self employed, shes on 50% and shes now telling me she wants more money. I cant afford to give her anymore. I dont make enough out of her. It is difficult to confront her and tell her I wont be putting her percentage up.
I guess I need to grow some balls and approach her.
Any advice

Latest posts

Back