Self employed rental charges

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAISY1234

Reaction score
Hi! I'm a salon owner and have two self employed hairdressers.I currently charge 60/40 ( 60 to stylist and 40 to me) I supply all products, refreshments, bio degradable towels,magazines,back bar, rent, electric etc.Basically the stylists just have to provide their own tools. They also get their hair, beauty and nails free. They now want me to look at getting a junior who they want me to pay for or I reduce their rent and they will contribute. They come and go as they please and there is no rent payable when they are not in. I have told them I will post the question on here to see whether I am being unreasonable or they have a valid point. My opinion is the rent is very reasonable and they have a good deal but all replies would be very helpful! Thanks

Ps one stylist is also a qualified beauty therapist and nail technician and I provide all products, and two beauty rooms to use.

They’re already getting a bargain as usually in a 60/40 split, the 60% goes to the one supplying the products and essential services such as laundry and electricity etc., so you should be getting the 60%.

I don’t understand the point about getting their hair and nails done free as that’s something they should agree amongst themselves if they’re all self employed, although you will be losing out on income twice if they’re not paying anything for the time they’re spent sitting in someone else’s chair and no monies from the person doing their nails/hair.

I think you need to review the current arrangement and if they want a Junior as part of their rent deal, I’d look at charging them a set weekly rent so that you know exactly what rent you have coming in each week regardless of what clients they actually service.

I think they’re taking you for a mug!

They’re already getting a bargain as usually in a 60/40 split, the 60% goes to the one supplying the products and essential services such as laundry and electricity etc., so you should be getting the 60%.

I don’t understand the point about getting their hair and nails done free as that’s something they should agree amongst themselves if they’re all self employed, although you will be losing out on income twice if they’re not paying anything for the time they’re spent sitting in someone else’s chair and no monies from the person doing their nails/hair.

I think you need to review the current arrangement and if they want a Junior as part of their rent deal, I’d look at charging them a set weekly rent so that you know exactly what rent you have coming in each week regardless of what clients they actually service.

I think they’re taking you for a mug!
Hi! Thanks for replying! The hair and beauty free was meant for the products used not their time which is up to them.
I'm just at the end of my tether with this! I've suggested a set weekly rent and they provide their own products etc but they don't seem to want to go for that one as I informed them that they would only get Two weeks free rent and would have to set up a DD each week?
Am I the only owner who gets this grief?

They are taking the piss out of you. Getting 60%, having everything supplied, having their nails and beauty treatments done for FREE. I guess you also provide their marketing and get clients in their seats for them too?

Enough is enough. Tell them to pay a set amount each week for their chair or find another salon!!

Two weeks free rent?
Can you afford to do this? What does your accountant advise?
It’s a nice perk but a bit unrealistic in the current financial climate. Presumably, your building society doesn’t give you 2 free weeks on your mortgage?

You might think you’re only giving them free hair and beauty products but you’re also losing ££ revenue every time they do each other for free when they could have a paying client in the chair. That together with the 40% commission really isn’t a great business model.

You’re getting grief because you’re letting them walk all over you. Of course they don’t want to lose their cushy number so they will resist all your attempts to re-negotiate.

You need to work out a new agreement that is fair to both parties and then give them a start date.
If they’re not willing to accept the revised terms then advertise the chair and give them a weeks notice to quit when you’ve found their replacements.

I think you need to toughen up if you want to stay open.

Hi! Two weeks of the year we have to close due to access which works out fine as we are normally chokka the week before so it evens out.
You are right that I need to toughen up however feel much better having got other salon owners opinions and I can now be confident in my answers to them. Thanks again!

I work in a barber shop, i pay him weekley rent. And when im off work i pay him half the rent.
When i was off sick for 8 weeks as i had major surgery he didnt want anything from me. So yea i have my own times and prices. But i also clean the shop daily and contribute to tea coffe and beer for clients. So yes i think they are taking the mick

I work in a barber shop, i pay him weekley rent. And when im off work i pay him half the rent.
When i was off sick for 8 weeks as i had major surgery he didnt want anything from me. So yea i have my own times and prices. But i also clean the shop daily and contribute to tea coffe and beer for clients. So yes i think they are taking the mick
Hi! I've suggested weekly rent but they've realised the percentage is better but still moan! I'm also going to be out of the salon for 8 weeks after surgery and worried sick about the shop and my op! Do you mind me asking what he charges and for how many days?

Hi! I've suggested weekly rent but they've realised the percentage is better but still moan! I'm also going to be out of the salon for 8 weeks after surgery and worried sick about the shop and my op! Do you mind me asking what he charges and for how many days?
Well. Its youre shop. If you say you want weekly rent ....they have to do so.
I pay 65 a week. If on holiday, or only in the salon 1-2 days then 35. I fly home to Germany every 4 weeks for 4-5 days so we agreed on half.Its only a tiny shop with 2 work stations, im outside leeds and the Rents are cheaper here. If you have a whole salon, and they use everything you should charge more. And you should not worry, you need to be strict, its ur shop, if they dont like it tell em to piss off because they wont find anywhere else they can sct like that. They will soon listen

Latest posts

Back