Self-employed using card machine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30sharon

Reaction score
Hi im about to get a card machine in at last its took lots of shopping around how does everyone else work it with there self employed staff ? do you let them use the machine ? if so do you charge them or let them use it free ?

We all booth rent at our salon, and we all can use machine to process our clients. The owner does not charge us but the credit card Machine company does charge 3% total of any charges.

I'm in a hair dressers only nail/beauty there I get charged 50p when use it on my own & 25p if my client has had her hair done at same time as been with me! x

I'm in a hair dressers only nail/beauty there I get charged 50p when use it on my own & 25p if my client has had her hair done at same time as been with me! x

Thanks is that for both debt and credit cards ?

i'm looking into this at the moment, its my salon and girls rent a chair, i was wondering how this could work as all the money would come into my account and i will prob ahve to give them a cheq at the end of each wk xx

i'm looking into this at the moment, its my salon and girls rent a chair, i was wondering how this could work as all the money would come into my account and i will prob ahve to give them a cheq at the end of each wk xx

I know ive not even thought of that side of it yet there is only two of us doing hair and one beauty therapist its only the girl doing hair that's self employed ive been looking at company's for a few weeks now its just an other cost every month but i think its more professional looking if i except card payments ive had the form for wa week and still not signed it yet

You can deduct a fee say 3% depending on your charges from any card clients they have. Just make sure all the staff are aware of this before you start using it. Im sure having a card machine will bring in more clients anyway!

The problem with allowing to use it is that the full amount of their treatment is going into your bank account

but only a % of that is actually yours so how when it comes to doing your taxes do you start going back through and working out which payments were theirs and then working out what amount you were paid out of it?

So effectively you could be paying tax on the full amount!

& might look a bit dodgy to the tax man if you start claiming payments that came through your card machine werent 100% to you

Just a consideration!

I have 2 self employed girls and have a card machine BUT we basically set it up so they take cash payments and generally the customer is aware of this before they come so its not a problem, occasionally a customer may have to use card to pay and I just go with that nothing can be done, at the mo I don't charge the girls but if they were in on a more frequent basis then I would consider it.

When customer pays that way I just at end of day give the self employed person the cash there and then rather than keeping them waiting.

I rent beauty rooms in a hairdressers and pay a weekly rent. I don't get charged for using the card machine. If the transaction is purely beauty, I Mark a 'b' on our copy of the receipt in pencil, or if it's hair and beauty, I Mark the total of my treatments beside the 'b' and then just take what I'm owed out of the till. HTHs xx

Sorry to jump in on this thread.

I'm a mobile therapist but wanted to start using a machine as a lot of people don't have time to get to a bank first and paying by card is easier - however I don't know where to start to get one! Can anyone give me some advice?

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

iPhone/iPad users there is an app called swipe has anyone use that yet? I hear it's great if your on the go. Especially if your doing business in your home.

I haven't really started anything yet. Still searching for questions and answers.

By the way all of salon geek users are great and very helpful so far. Giving back is always appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Ive just downloaded the swipe app to see what it's about! It only offers $ and I can't seem to change it :-/ Really think a card machine would be good so any advice appreciated :)

On our machine it has a screen in it with everyones names who work in salon, when you go to cash your client out and they use a card you click on your own name and do transaction under your own business account set up threw card machine company. When I first started at salon I had to contact company with blank check so they knew where to deposit money for my own services. Each employee has there own account set up threw one main credit card machine we all share and use. Each persons money goes into each employees own bank account. It is simple to use and so nice. Then after all Is said and done the machine company takes 3% out at the end of the month credit card transactions totals.

On our machine it has a screen in it with everyones names who work in salon, when you go to cash your client out and they use a card you click on your own name and do transaction under your own business account set up threw card machine company. When I first started at salon I had to contact company with blank check so they knew where to deposit money for my own services. Each employee has there own account set up threw one main credit card machine we all share and use. Each persons money goes into each employees own bank account. It is simple to use and so nice. Then after all Is said and done the machine company takes 3% out at the end of the month credit card transactions totals.

That's a brilliant idea!! Xx

God that would save alot of hassle who pays the rent the salon ?

Hi what company Is this with please? Thank you x

We are a salon in USA, so If you are interested please let me know. I can earn some extra cash for referring others to their company. Please just email if you are local in USA and want info... Also I'm not really sure which states the company does business.
Btw the owner is not renting machine, she bought it. But they do have renting options :)

Hi,

I've been looking into this as well. The salon I rent a room in let's me use their card free but most clients pay cash.

However, I have invested in an iPad 2 and I think there is a way to put paypal on tour web page or an app that can process card payment, that way you can keep it totally separate from the salon.

I've heard for card machines you need a merchant bank account bad the fees involved can be high whereas an iPad is about £200 plus £25 a month, looks good and with paypal etc the transactions are free! I combine the iPad functions and show the clients
My before and after pics so it works really well!

All you people being charged 3% for your transactions, you seriously need to talk to your card machine provider!
Adam - if you join the FSB (which is a no-brainer for a self employed person) then you can have free business banking with the Co-op, and much cheaper terminal rental and transaction rates. I get charged 1.61% for Visa, 1.63% for Mastercard and 23p for debit cards. The terminal rental is £14.95 per month.

Latest posts

Back