Self employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodley123

Reaction score
Hiya ... I asked my boss a month a half a go about going self employed and waiting for him to tell me how I should pay he did amble £200 a week witch is a bit extreme ... am going to be buying all my products ... he just doesnt seem to be very happy with me going self employed he doesnt think I will benifit from it baring in mind been qualified 8 years and have a full clientele ... can I just give him a date and say am going self employed from that date? As already waited a month for a response and am not getting no where !! Thanks

The balls in his court really. If you were employed by him you should really work your notice unless he agrees that you don't have to. He should then give your self employment terms to you in writing ie rent, mags, refreshments, back bar, products etc so you know exactly what included. Does he have other self employed people in the shop?

Ok .... and yeh he used to.. I have been here 11 years and qualified 8 .... my pay is not great and got my p60 and my account friend said am getting £2000 underpaid so its really stressed me out been offered a good job wirh my friend but I just feel like my loyalty is here and I am 26 bought a house so I want to earn more money and if I work extra hours here I dont get any extra I am really stuck in a rut :( .. I really dont know what to do I asked to go self employed and he said yes but foesnt think it will benifit me but will work out how he wants to do it and still a month and half later no answer and hates talking about it !!

Have you worked out roughly how much you bring in? Depending how he works it, take all the outgoings off including tax and ni and personal insurance.Also work out how much holidays you'll be taking as you won't be earning anything and might still have to pay rent. Its a big decision jumping from the security of being employed to basically running your own business.

...my pay is not great and got my p60 and my account friend said am getting £2000 underpaid so its really stressed me out been offered a good job wirh my friend but I just feel like my loyalty is here

Underpaid by £2000 yet you feel loyalty towards your boss?

Why don’t you value yourself more?

You’ve already given him 8 years of loyal service, you need to seriously consider moving on and working for yourself.

Imagine being underpaid by £2k a year for 8 years. That equals £16,000.
Can you afford to throw away another £16,000 for the next 8 years?

It’s what in the trade we call a No Brainer. ;)

100% move on and work for yourself I left the salon I was employed in for 5 years to rent a chair in a salon 2 years ago and it’s been fantastic the salon was new opening so was a fresh start for everyone and even on my ropiest of weeks at the start still cleared my rent and made more than I did employed and it’s only rises from there on in I was extremely nervous starting up, not having the security of the same money in each week but it’s been the best thing for me [emoji178]

Hi guys thanks for the messages... I have had a think about it ... I think I am going to hand my notice in and start fresh

Hi guys thanks for the messages... I have had a think about it ... I think I am going to hand my notice in and start fresh

Defiantly do it babe! You will never look back x

100% move on and work for yourself I left the salon I was employed in for 5 years to rent a chair in a salon 2 years ago and it’s been fantastic the salon was new opening so was a fresh start for everyone and even on my ropiest of weeks at the start still cleared my rent and made more than I did employed and it’s only rises from there on in I was extremely nervous starting up, not having the security of the same money in each week but it’s been the best thing for me [emoji178]
Am going to hand my notice in ... but am so scared about doing it .. did you prewarn your boss you were leaving? X

Am going to hand my notice in ... but am so scared about doing it .. did you prewarn your boss you were leaving? X

Yeah I didn’t actually think that leaving was going to be the end the result at the time to be honest! We had a sit down together to discuss how we both felt work wise etc which where I worked before was quiet a common thing for us all to do - and I kinda said as a throw away comment in jest “I feel like I’d be better working somewhere else” to which she replied “well why don’t you go and do that” and I finished up the following week... at the time she did say that my job would be open for me to return, I think she hoped I would go and see the grass wasn’t greener and return with my tail between my legs but it’s worked out 100% better for me not just profit-wise, you get a greater love for what you do and how you do it when it’s all on you, I’ve been on lots of training course (where I worked before only courses that she deemed suitable or training in salon was deemed suitable) and I’ve got a far better work-life balance by being self employed which is great having 2 kids (no pregnancy rule at previous salon lol ‍♀️)

hand your notice in, thank them for the time you’ve been there and just simply say this is something your keen to give a go and a new challenge for you - all the best! X

Latest posts

Back