Self employment handing in notice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhair

Reaction score
Heyyyy everyone

So I've been working in a salon for about 6 years now. When I first started I got bullied terrible but I felt I couldn't leave because I had nothing to fall on and children to support. Everything turned nice and I was relieved. Last summer it started again except there's been no bullying just the other stylist which is also the owner doesn't even say hello to me it's like I'm invisible then moans to her clients that I don't clean her mess because she's unable to as expecting. But I'm self employed not paid to do that. When I had covid bed stricken she told the receptionist not to do anything for me as I was only sitting doin nothing. It's so toxic.
It's got to the point a few off my clients have said they feel uncomfortable and their only coming because they love me and my work. Which makes me think how many have a lost. Or will lose.
I've got clientele but scared of risking moving too but I know I need too. She's not approachable either so my question is how do I quit? And how much notice do I need to give? I have no written or spoken arrangement about leaving. Thanks if u have got this far lol

I was in the same position, not bullying but being asked to do treatments I wasn’t qualified/insured to perform, obviously refused to do them! No written contract etc.
In the end I got so fed up with it I walked out one morning and eventually started up on my own, it’s not easy but easily the best thing I’ve done!
I would say get things in place before you leave so you’re set and don’t have to worry about income etc, ie find a space to work from, let your clients know (on the quiet) and then when you’re ready just never go back!
you’ve got no contract so you don’t need to give any notice!
good luck x

Time to move on.
Start making plans and preparation such as new premises / home salon or go mobile.
Make sure you have all the contact details for your current clients. Discreetly let them know where you will be. For example, Easter is coming up, how nice it would be to give each client a sealed Easter card (in which you have put your new work details & phone number)...
If you have no contract then the resignation notice is not established. Generally if you pay rent weekly, it's a week notice, monthly, a months notice.
Alternatively...
You could just finish very soon and do mobile for your clients until you get sorted, there's only so much you can take sometimes. Start taking your equipment, stock etc home so if things flare up, grab your bag and walk. Of course make sure you have paid up any rent due, no need to further the arguments.

Take care & hope it works out better for you x

Time to move on.
Start making plans and preparation such as new premises / home salon or go mobile.
Make sure you have all the contact details for your current clients. Discreetly let them know where you will be. For example, Easter is coming up, how nice it would be to give each client a sealed Easter card (in which you have put your new work details & phone number)...
If you have no contract then the resignation notice is not established. Generally if you pay rent weekly, it's a week notice, monthly, a months notice.
Alternatively...
You could just finish very soon and do mobile for your clients until you get sorted, there's only so much you can take sometimes. Start taking your equipment, stock etc home so if things flare up, grab your bag and walk. Of course make sure you have paid up any rent due, no need to further the arguments.

Take care & hope it works out better for you x

The thing is I get paid monthly then my rent is deducted from the monthly payment.
It's like I'm self employed but without the independence.
I've fell in to a trap and just need to part.
I have to use the salons booking system even though I don't have full access. All reviews are left on their page also. I also have to use their prices and have monthly meetings.
I feel like I just want to brand as an individual get my own Google page for reviews own prices ect. I've been looking at salons and want to move for May time. I guess I'm just scared approaching her telling her I'm quitting lol

The thing is I get paid monthly then my rent is deducted from the monthly payment.
It's like I'm self employed but without the independence.
I've fell in to a trap and just need to part.
I have to use the salons booking system even though I don't have full access. All reviews are left on their page also. I also have to use their prices and have monthly meetings.
I feel like I just want to brand as an individual get my own Google page for reviews own prices ect. I've been looking at salons and want to move for May time. I guess I'm just scared approaching her telling her I'm quitting lol

Don't tell her until you have been paid up to date. This will give you time to plan and pass on your contact details to clients. Maybe set up a new FB page and ask clients to friend you, that way you can pass on details once you've left as well as before hand where possible. It's possible your landlord (not employer if you are self employed) will become difficult but it's not something you can avoid at this point. It's OK to be apprehensive of what might happen, what might be said, etc. but if you have all your plans organised it doesn't really matter what they say does it?

I'm assuming you get paid monthly for the previous month and 'rent' gets taken out in advance. You're probably going to have to just write off that month rent in advance. You walk before you get paid and they'll be picky about what you're to be paid, walk just after you're paid and you get out with less drama but the rent is gone.
Do they charge rent when you're sick/on holidays? If not, say you're going on a months holiday from your pay day in May and then that's when you walk.

Why are you getting paid if you're self employed? You pay monthly rent, but do you provide your own products and supplies? Why does she expect you to clean up after her? Having to use their prices and booking system is definitely not self-employment.
I worked for a toxic salon owner for 4 years, and began to let my clients know I would be leaving.

At the time I was arranging to start my own salon, and had planned to keep working there while renovations were going on. I was the only computer-savvy employee, so was made to submit payroll, inventory and regular orders from our suppliers, with no extra pay for the time I wasn't doing hair.

She also used to force us to come in on Sundays where she would "teach" us new products/techniques. None of us got paid, and we didn't want to be there, especially since her hair skills were more in tune with the 1980's than current trends.

After a call to the labor board I was told that if we do not get to choose to participate in these "classes", she has to pay each of us for at minimum 3 hours of pay for making us attend. This woman at one point ran 4 salons, and had pulled this for years. I submitted the extra 3 hours after asking each staff member if they wanted to be paid for it.

When she got the payroll sheet she lost her noodle. Called me every name under the sun and told me I'll never amount to anything in this industry. (This after she brought up our policies and procedures book, where I called her out for not giving us lunch on Saturdays. Her reasoning? The salon closed an hour earlier than the mall, so that was our lunch.) I almost laughed at her ridiculous posturing-she intimidates and bullies everyone. I asked then if I had to stick around for staff meetings held at 5:00 if that was technically my lunchbreak. I had to pull the phone away from my ear she was yelling so loud.

I tendered my resignation after she tried to bully me in front of a full salon, because I passed over my responsibilities to her new *manager* who struggled to keep up. I gave two weeks notice and since we were short staffed, I worked til the end. This woman had the balls to show up at my open house when I opened my salon, and then tell all her staff how she came to support me.

People like that are never satisfied. The power goes to their head. I agree with others. Make a list of your clients, and if you have access, copy your formulas down and contact details. The odds are good that once you turn in your resignation she'll tell you to just go. Honestly, I wouldn't want to stick around to put up with her behaviour. Write out a letter, put it on her desk or in the cash register if you're too nervous to bring it up, and keep it simple. Thank her for the opportunity to grow as a stylist, and wish her the best. Then head off I to your future. If you don't have a place lined up, then get moving while you gather your data. Getting away from such a toxic person makes you appreciate wherever you end up.

Why are you getting paid if you're self employed? You pay monthly rent, but do you provide your own products and supplies? Why does she expect you to clean up after her? Having to use their prices and booking system is definitely not self-employment.
I worked for a toxic salon owner for 4 years, and began to let my clients know I would be leaving.

At the time I was arranging to start my own salon, and had planned to keep working there while renovations were going on. I was the only computer-savvy employee, so was made to submit payroll, inventory and regular orders from our suppliers, with no extra pay for the time I wasn't doing hair.

She also used to force us to come in on Sundays where she would "teach" us new products/techniques. None of us got paid, and we didn't want to be there, especially since her hair skills were more in tune with the 1980's than current trends.

After a call to the labor board I was told that if we do not get to choose to participate in these "classes", she has to pay each of us for at minimum 3 hours of pay for making us attend. This woman at one point ran 4 salons, and had pulled this for years. I submitted the extra 3 hours after asking each staff member if they wanted to be paid for it.

When she got the payroll sheet she lost her noodle. Called me every name under the sun and told me I'll never amount to anything in this industry. (This after she brought up our policies and procedures book, where I called her out for not giving us lunch on Saturdays. Her reasoning? The salon closed an hour earlier than the mall, so that was our lunch.) I almost laughed at her ridiculous posturing-she intimidates and bullies everyone. I asked then if I had to stick around for staff meetings held at 5:00 if that was technically my lunchbreak. I had to pull the phone away from my ear she was yelling so loud.

I tendered my resignation after she tried to bully me in front of a full salon, because I passed over my responsibilities to her new *manager* who struggled to keep up. I gave two weeks notice and since we were short staffed, I worked til the end. This woman had the balls to show up at my open house when I opened my salon, and then tell all her staff how she came to support me.

People like that are never satisfied. The power goes to their head. I agree with others. Make a list of your clients, and if you have access, copy your formulas down and contact details. The odds are good that once you turn in your resignation she'll tell you to just go. Honestly, I wouldn't want to stick around to put up with her behaviour. Write out a letter, put it on her desk or in the cash register if you're too nervous to bring it up, and keep it simple. Thank her for the opportunity to grow as a stylist, and wish her the best. Then head off I to your future. If you don't have a place lined up, then get moving while you gather your data. Getting away from such a toxic person makes you appreciate wherever you end up.
Wow this is the exact same position I'm in so many team meeting to discuss data. I can't even access our booking system properly.
Shes found out I'm leaving and not happy.im going at the end of the month. But I literally have no savings from lockdown and being a single mom.
I've found a super cheap salon room I can rent and plan to set up my own booking system and take a booking fee from clients who are booking next month to stock everything up. All my clients have said they agree I should move and will follow me.

That's great! It's a wonderful feeling to look forward to your day of work, away from the toxicity of others. Especially people stuck in their ways, refusing to evolve with a changing industry

Latest posts

Back