Self employment in salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautygirl11

Reaction score
Ive been working self employed on my own for 10 years but the opportunity to work in a salon a couple of days a week has come up and something I’m interested in doing.
I’ve said I’d need to be self employed to make it worth my while.
The owner has proposed £60 a day for a 7 hour day. Am I allowed to be paid in this way?
I was expecting a percentage split. She is going to provide the products.
Any advice on how best to approach this to make this beneficial for myself would be appreciated!

I think the owner means you pay her the £60.00 for a 7 hour day....and anything over that is yours.;)
Rents vary according to area/salon type/footfall etc.
£60.00 sounds a little steep, but if its in a high end salon in a good area, that could equate to the cost of one Cut & finish, so that would be about right :)

Yes she means £60 a day that you pay her for the chair. After speaking with the Nhf regarding chair rental the average is between £50 and £75 a day not the charge for one cut and finish. I would go out of business if I was to charge one cut and blow dry price as a daily fee and I’m in a boutique salon running from my garden. My salon still costs £200 a week to run and then you still need to make a profit or what’s the point in chair renting. Xxxxx

Yes she means £60 a day that you pay her for the chair. After speaking with the Nhf regarding chair rental the average is between £50 and £75 a day not the charge for one cut and finish. I would go out of business if I was to charge one cut and blow dry price as a daily fee and I’m in a boutique salon running from my garden. My salon still costs £200 a week to run and then you still need to make a profit or what’s the point in chair renting. Xxxxx

That's interesting...thanks for that.:)
I am in Bexley, kent, and have had hair/nail techs approach me about renting a chair/station...
When price is discussed they have been SHOCKED that I would expect £50.00 a day!o_O
My salon is brand new, high footfall...and rather gorgeous if I do say so myself!:cool:
We know how expensive it is to run a business, but some folk think salon owners
are just greedy bast*rds!:p

I’m in Colchester in Essex, people have no clue how much it costs to run a business.... including me until I had my own. It’s really hard and you can’t have people costing you money. Do you offer rent free days with yours? Xx

I’m in Colchester in Essex, people have no clue how much it costs to run a business.... including me until I had my own. It’s really hard and you can’t have people costing you money. Do you offer rent free days with yours? Xx

To be honest, the whole 'rent a chair' experience has put me off.
In my last salon, I rented out a nail desk, fully stocked with CND goodies.
The first 2 months RENT FREE.
After which a daily rate of £10.00 would be introduced for the next 6 months.
In the interim, the council introduced licencing. This was to cost me £600 per year.
At the end of that period, just as the 'rental' was due to kick in, the tech's left...this happened on 2 occasions.
What on earth were they expecting!!!
Ten pounds per day!!!!....Including EVERYTHING!!!
Good riddance. :p

To be honest, the whole 'rent a chair' experience has put me off.
In my last salon, I rented out a nail desk, fully stocked with CND goodies.
The first 2 months RENT FREE.
After which a daily rate of £10.00 would be introduced for the next 6 months.
In the interim, the council introduced licencing. This was to cost me £600 per year.
At the end of that period, just as the 'rental' was due to kick in, the tech's left...this happened on 2 occasions.
What on earth were they expecting!!!
Ten pounds per day!!!!....Including EVERYTHING!!!
Good riddance. :p

That’s terrible... it is really hard. Yes you don’t need ppl like that, that rental price is amazing! Hope you get some luck with your technicians at your new salon xx

Latest posts

Back