Self employment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi,

i haven’t been self employed for long so after some advise I’ve started an admin job just to support me a bit whilst I’m still building my beauty business. The half the hours than originally agreed and now are 12 hours a week on a self employed basis. The agreement was also to do the 12 hours in the week as and when suited.
Since I started it keeps changing and I’m being told when to work.
Now they want me to work the 12 hour week over 3 days core times so I can’t do any clients first thing and not able to do anyone until 3 on those days its affecting my availability for my beauty clients.
It was working well at one point as I was working earlier and doing a later shift so had more free time for my beauty clients.

do you think it’s worth sticking with the admin for the time being and also can I be dictated to what times to work when I’m self employed.

i have tried to explain I need to be doing it all over two days or a long shift as I have my beauty work and I can’t live off 12 hours which again was something that was discussed originally but was told it would have to be looked at.
Thanks

The Gig economy doesn’t suit everyone. Most part-time jobs require flexibility. If you are self employed you don’t have to work whenever they say. Equally they don’t have to find you any hours. They offer the work, you say yes or no. They choose whether your availability works for them.

so 2 options, suck it up or tell them to stuff it.

All problems are surmountable - you need to focus on the things you can control. You can control finding work after 3, you can’t control your Boss having 20 hours work a week for you.

it sounds like you are really stressed. You’ll find it really difficult to build your beauty business whilst you are stressing over money. I’d look for another job to support yourself.

It might be worth taking a pay cut in order to have regular, guaranteed hours on set days a week.

Have you thought about finding customer facing work which would allow you to advertise yourself and your beauty business?

Know your worth and potential. Some people just take the P**S out of others because they let them walk all over them. Don't let them walk all over you! Once you know your true worth your attitude will change, and so will theirs. You need to do what is right for you. At the end of the day, you're making them money by providing professional service! You could be making yourself that money and developing your own clientele.... Do a part-time online job that you can do at home, then you can juggle it around your own schedule. There are tons of online jobs out there just now with the digital economy booming. Where there's a will, there's a way.... That's what this pandemic has taught us all.... Think out of the box. If it works you up, in the long run, it's not good for your health or wealth..... Move along, theres more fish in the sea lol....

Latest posts

Back