Self employment???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcorn1

Reaction score
I've been looking for an employed stylist job for ages and there are none around. There have been a few but they want self employed stylists.

The thing is I have thought about going self employed before (been in industry for 8 years) but don't know the first thing about it and wouldn't know where to start getting started.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with leaflets or booklets or plain old advise?

Cheers peeps x

I've been looking for an employed stylist job for ages and there are none around. There have been a few but they want self employed stylists.

The thing is I have thought about going self employed before (been in industry for 8 years) but don't know the first thing about it and wouldn't know where to start getting started.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with leaflets or booklets or plain old advise?

Cheers peeps x

Hi

Usually you start out by coming to an agreement with the salon owner, the usual is you either pay for a chair rental from her for around £80 to 100 pounds or more per week depending on where you are situated ,

Or you can work on a percentage basis ,
If you have no clients then this may be better for you .
You would be wise to get a written contract and read it before you start working there.
it has its advantages and disadvantages like any job,

if you work on a percentage basis it is usually around 30%,or more
this means the salon owner will take 30% from any profit you make but this also means you usually have to supply all your own stock too.

You can also work on a 50% or more basis where the salon pay for all the stock,
and they just take half or more of your earnings ,
which works out pretty much the same with far less hassle for you.

You have to register as self employed and tell the Inland Revenue, these people can also give advice too.

Then get yourself covered by an insurance like( professional beauty )around £35 per year only takes a phone call, (unless the salon owner has it covered for you,)

You may also need someone to do your book keeping (this is very important)
but ask around first for a personal recommendation as a good accountant is always a busy accountant
Word of mouth is better, (try not to sign up with an accountant just in case you don't stick the job out )

You must keep records and receipts of all your customers payments,
and keep all your receipts for every single thing ,and receipts of all that you buy that concerns the business , even cleaning stuff, tea ,coffee ,ect even petrol I think ,

( Wee girl knows a lot of the things you can claim back on your taxes) as she was a Chartered accountant you could PM her,

Overall its not bad working for yourself but the wages are variable
You can earn good money ,but you cannot afford to undercharge or you will not make any profit and you'll end up slogging your socks off for nothing ,
Better to charge more with no rushing and do a good job on one person,
than to be to cheap and rush around being busy and stressed doing two or three,
(the profit will work out similar anyway)

So you must do your maths first and take everything into account and charge accordingly , This is where most businesses can fall down ( get it right the first time,)

I am sure others can add any bits that I have left out
maybe about advertising ect,

It all sounds very scary but it isn't really, its easy once you get all the above in place

The hard bit is building up a Clientele, and finding someone good to work with
I hope I have helped a bit :hug:
let us all know how you get on? x

Hey Sweetcorn that is fantastic, I have been BRing for over 15 years.
It has it pros and it has its cons, You need to be a very discipline person to do it. Otherwise, you just end up getting farther and farther behind and then the books become a mess. But not to discourage you. :D Just a heads up.

What you really need to do is get in contact with your local employment/governement/IR office and they can set you up and let you know the steps that need to be taken to get yourself off the ground properly.

And What minx said also. ;)

Please keep us in the know about how it is going...

Thanks guys. I'm not 100% set on it yet as I've got a possible employed job in the pipe line which I would much prefer.

Thanks for the advise I will keep it all in mind and still do some homework on it.

Cheers dudes x

Latest posts

Back