self employment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claire_839

Reaction score
ive just applied for a job and its self employed i started two days ago but am yet to sign a contract. he is offering me 30% is this right? he says he gets 30% and the other 40% goes on gas, electric, supplies etc.

the traditional split is 60/40
whoever supplies the product gets the 60%.
in some cases the split mayb 70/30, but this would have to be justified with superior surroundings, a receptionist, cleaner for instance.
if the salon is busy and providing you with clients this may still b a good deal.
after all 30% of £200 is better than 60% of nothing!
you must think of the bigger picture sometimes, wiegh it all up.
good luck

If you mean that you have to give him 70% of your takings, you'd be mad to accept that. Work it out, if you had a busy day, how much would your take home pay be if you only took 30% of your takings.

The utilities, etc, should come out of the 30% you are giving him and you should get 70%. Even with that deal, the owner is getting a very good arrangement. Be strong and don't let him mess you around.

I think he's taking the mickey!! Have you been doing nails long? I can understand if you're newly trained and want the experience - but you have to find out what the salon is like.
Is it beauty? Hair? Nails? Just 1 & wanting to add nails? 2 of them? All 3?? How busy is it there? Have there been alot of enquiries about nails?? IS there already a client base becuase so & so's leaving?? How much does he want you to be charging?

At the end of the day, if he doesn't want to put you in a contract maybe he's testing the water (totally speculating here because I don't have enough info on your situation) But at the end of the day, if he's saying you have to be self employed (and at a rubbish rate if you're supplying the products IMP) and that there may be no client base for nails, then you might find you arrive Monday morning with no clients booked in! May get 1 walk in say on the first day & a couple of others here and there. And if nails is going to be new in the salon, then who's paying out for the promotion???

Hope this helps and isn't too harsh but maybe you've got more to go back with now xx

I would be very wary of signing a contract....esp if its for a long time..... it looks like you could be giving him 70%. I have to agree with the others 60/40

sounds like a really bad deal chick if u only get 30% !!!dont do it !! say u make only £100 in a day from say 3 or 4 clients , would u really want to be only getting £30 for this ? i wouldnt tell him to sod off . plus remember u will also be liable for the tax and ni on what u make as u will be self employed . judging by these figures u wouldnt earn enough to make it worth ur while . hth let us know what happens chick ! good luck

just thought i would ask is he paying u an hourly rate plus 30% per treatment? that would make a difference .

i can understand everyones horror at someone handing over 70% of their takings, this as i said should b max 60%.
however, as i also said, look at the bigger picture...
is he providing ALL stock and utensiles
is he promoting the salon well
and is it a busy salon in a great area?
if yes to the above, it would cost you hundreds of pounds a week to provide all that for your self, so take that into consideration.
with regards to a contract, dont shout about it, it works both ways u know.
if you havent signed u are free to leave if things dont work out.
if you sign, u may have to give 1 months notice b4 u can leave.

if yes to the above, u could build a decent clientele, get priceless experience, with the back up of a manager and then re-negotiate a better deal.

Latest posts

Back