Self leveling gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscavell

Reaction score
Just a couple of questions

Do any of you use it?
Is it any good?
Is it better than 'normal' gel?
How easy is it to use?

Ive tried 'normal' gel and, whether its just me or whether its a thing with newbies I dont know, but I can never seem to get a flat nail. I always end up with waves or a bit missing which I think Ive covered whilst doing it (only practicing on myself by the way)

Well I personally would never choose to use a self leveling gel. I can't imagine anything I'd like less in a nail product.

I want a gel to stay where I have put it but for the surface only to smooth out under the UV Lamp. CND Brisa Gel is such a gel. It stays where I want it to stay but goes lovely and smooth (which is I think what you meant when you said 'flat'. No one wants a flat nail do they?)

I don't see from your profile so can't say which gel are you reffering to,
but too often I heard people who sell gels around me giving descriptions saying - self leveling, time saving, no filing needed ever, or so.

Well, I fell for that one too back when I was starting out.

I think people sometime abuse that word or use it wrongly, or simply don't explain -

Because most of the time those 'selfeveling gels' were either it too thin and runny, and that might be understood as selfleveling, but as Geeg says, that's annoying and constantly freeze curing,

or they simply meant - our gel is so great that when you make a nail, you don't have to file too much, in which case 'selfleveling' term makes sense - stays in place and has a nice surface.

I do file when finnishing :) and also prefer thick gels. And so what about those bumps? :green: The thicker the gel, the more time you have to put it in the right place, pay attention to every zone so minimum filing later. I even used All in one Protech Pronails gel, which is "thick as cheddar and no one wants to buy it" as the dist. said. :green: Well, I did! And made very nice nails with it.

But, not to be misunderstood, this is just my personal preference, and I'm certanly not saying that thick gels are good and thin are not.

Last edited:
I use calgel which is self levelling, never tried any others as quite new to the gel scene lol but I like it because it soaks off like my L & P and I find it really easy to use hth xx

I've come to understand that gels have degrees of Self leveling hability, and aren't just leveling or non leveling. I think usually leveling hability comes associated with consistency, being the more liquid are more leveling, and the more thick less leveling.
I like a gel that has a medium consistency and the self leveling hability to even out the surface.
I don't like it to be too liquid as will tend to run into the cuticle area, and i don't like it too thick as it will tend to have a lumpy surface.
I think it's a matter of experimenting and seeing what you like best.

I ve been using a self leveling gel up until few weeks ago. its trosani and is called super easy gel. now i've tried the deluxe gels, they are a bit thicker and not so selfleveling and i like it much more cause i feel i can work it better and that there is less chance that it runs in cuticle area while i m doing the the other nails! :)

i use the ibd gel and i love it. i hardly have to buff which saves time and they look good. i have also used opi axxium gel and i prefer the ibd. i am also a newbie.

Hi Love,

I use a "self-levelling" gel and I love it. It doesn't level flat, it levels smooth, if that makes sense. I never have a flood in the sidewalls and rarely every have flat spots or dips. I only have to cure for 7 seconds between layers, so this gives me a great idea as to where I need to string a bit more before my final cure. The best trick I have learned is to tip the hand over so the palm is facing up. I do this for approx 10 seconds before I cure the apex layer and it pools the gel at the apex, taking it away from the sidewalls and landing it exactly where I want it. Cure for 90 seconds, buff, shape and I am on my way!

Hi Love,

I use a "self-levelling" gel and I love it. It doesn't level flat, it levels smooth, if that makes sense. I never have a flood in the sidewalls and rarely every have flat spots or dips. I only have to cure for 7 seconds between layers, so this gives me a great idea as to where I need to string a bit more before my final cure. The best trick I have learned is to tip the hand over so the palm is facing up. I do this for approx 10 seconds before I cure the apex layer and it pools the gel at the apex, taking it away from the sidewalls and landing it exactly where I want it. Cure for 90 seconds, buff, shape and I am on my way!

What brand do u use x

What brand do u use x

The quoted poster has been absent from Salon Geek since 2010, so you may want to create a new thread if you can't find the answers with the assistance of the search facility.

Latest posts

Back