Self motivation....do you have it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzidoll

Strictly Scottish Geek!
Premium Geek
Reaction score
I have always loved a challenge...and change to my working routine.
In fact my biggest fear would be to be stuck in a rut.
My former career in the years B.N. (before nails!) I managed to change department or location every 2-3 years which kept me motivated and challenged.

I have also been lucky that I have had enough change to keep me motivated in my career in nails. From part time salon worker, to self employed booth renter, to employer, then Educator.
Along the way mastering new skills to make me a full service technician.
I am still motivated by the desire to do a perfect set of nails!!!

I feel I have made the most of any opportunities that came my way...and ones I had to seek out for myself. :wink2:

What about you?

Are you working in a salon...but really want to be on the Cruise ships!
Are you working in an office...but really want to be in a salon!
Are you only doing white tips....and dream of 3d nail art and CCB!!

Do you have any self motivation....and if not why not.....and what would kick you out of your rut?

great thread...will pop back leter when i have more time and post a reply. x

Great Thread Izzi:Love:
I am feeling very stuck just now I work part time from home and want to be working full time in a Salon.
What I really want is to become an Educator as we are a bit short of them up here.

I use the excuse of the distance for not getting my finger out and getting the training but I need to just push myself to do it.I feel motivation is something you are born with the ability to do a bit like confidence both of which I sadly lack:sad:

yea great thread.!:biggrin:....
I'm a home based gal.....but I keep going because I love this business.....
To motivate myself when I feel I'm in a rut ...is I try something I have never tried before....like 3d...I practice and guinny ...anyone and everyone who will let me until I get it mastered just right ......
I've just recently moved so now my motivation is designing my Salon at home as I have an unfinished basement ...and an open pallet ...so to speak....so I can make it " my way" which I'm thrilled about.....
but for now...I'll just have to do with the spare bedroom as my " salon" now and busily plan and save for the time it comes true.....

feel motivation is something you are born with the ability to do a bit like confidence both of which I sadly lack:sad:

Sorry Karen...I have to disagree.
We all have the ability to motivate ourselves...yes a lack of confidence can hold us back if we let it, but as with everything in life small steps get's us there.
If you look back over the past year, don't you see how much you have achieved, you have learned 2 different systems of nail enhancements, and manicure/pedicure, and built up a good clientel from home, whilst holding down another job & running a home. THEN added waxing to your list of skills.

Not bad for someone who lacks confidence!!

I really think this website has a large part to play in motivating us all....from the forums to the geek gallery there is plenty on here for us to learn from and inspire us.

Sorry Karen...I have to disagree.
We all have the ability to motivate ourselves...yes a lack of confidence can hold us back if we let it, but as with everything in life small steps get's us there.
If you look back over the past year, don't you see how much you have achieved, you have learned 2 different systems of nail enhancements, and manicure/pedicure, and built up a good clientel from home, whilst holding down another job & running a home. THEN added waxing to your list of skills.

Not bad for someone who lacks confidence!!

I really think this website has a large part to play in motivating us all....from the forums to the geek gallery there is plenty on here for us to learn from and inspire us.
Ok when you put it like that I see I have more confidence than I give myself credit:D

You are so right about the wonderful work shown on here it is such a boost for newies and semi newies to see what is possible.

For me i'm stuck in an office while i'm dreaming of something else.........

....would love to jack in the 9-5 and be a student again full-time. However there is one thing stopping me thats money!

In answer to the original question....YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES:p

This site has motivated me so much for my love of nails.......i lost it at one point,but have now been motivated,in the knowledge that nails are a learning curve,and Geegs quote aboutpractise is soooo true.:biggrin:

Before working in the nail industry and working in the City, I didn't have much motivation - I just plodded on and on and on - like a little mouse on its wheel unable to get off the daily grind.

However, since joining the nail industry about 3.5 years ago, I have bags of motivation and find myself constantly challenged with accommodating all the different clients, all the different systems and techniques and the ever changing world of the nail industry. I love it!

I am so motivated about the future - relocating and looking forward to building a new client base or perhaps opening up my own salon wherever I go. It keeps me young (I hope!) xxx:Love:

I have always been fairly motivated .... when I was in my 20's I home taught myself to touch type and word process then took City & Guild exams at college using my own machines. I couldn't get a job with no experience and couldn't gain experience without getting a job. So I wrote to lots of companies offering my services FOC so that I could gain valuable workplace experience and if no positions became available a reference from them to take to any prospective employer. A large local company was happy to take me on but didn't have an opening and after 3 months I found a position. I got the biggest arrangement of flowers I have ever seen in my life and a reference to die for. They said they would write to me if a vacancy came up and they did a few months later offering me the position without an interview. But I had already got taken on by a small family firm that was going to give me experiences in all difference aspects of clerical work and I was extremely happy with the company.

15 years later I am still working one day a week for the firm which took me on, they say they 'cannot' let me go .... so I feel obliged to do the one day a week.

When I decided on a change of career 3 years ago I started researching nails and beauty and here I am, running my own home based salon and feeling very happy with my lot. Now when I feel the need of a bit of motivation, I book on to some further training and this feeds my motivation along very nicely.

Great thread Izzy :hug:

I started my foundation course in L&P July 31st 2006. I then did Spa mani/pedi in September, spray tanning in Jan 2007 and Brisa in March 2007.
I started off mobile AND HATED IT then worked from home but now have set up my little home salon.
I still lack in confidence in my work but I am still motivated and love it all.

Brilliant thread:hug:

I am very motivated by my new career, every day I learn something new and research like crazy to make sure I am offering the best I can.

I am always thinking to the future and continually training and educating myself further but I am unsure where I want to take my business but I do have a few ideas kicking about.

well i have never really been ambitious...even when i worked at next and there was opportunity for promotion i never went for it...i was always just happy to do my thing with as little pressure and responsibility as possible.

Although when i worked at next i knew i was unhappy and did hate the fixed hours/days...i knew i wanted to do nails full time and so i did just bite the bullet and left next.

I never wanted my own salon....again i guess the responsibility part puts me off....i like an easy life with as few complications as possible....and i am easily pleased and always grateful for my lot.

So i guess to sum up....i have the self motivation to change what i am unhappy with but not the ambition to go any further.

I feel i have achieved what i wanted too, been more successful than i thought i would be and am happy to stay at that.

well i have never really been ambitious...even when i worked at next and there was opportunity for promotion i never went for it...i was always just happy to do my thing with as little pressure and responsibility as possible.

Although when i worked at next i knew i was unhappy and did hate the fixed hours/days...i knew i wanted to do nails full time and so i did just bite the bullet and left next.

I never wanted my own salon....again i guess the responsibility part puts me off....i like an easy life with as few complications as possible....and i am easily pleased and always grateful for my lot.

So i guess to sum up....i have the self motivation to change what i am unhappy with but not the ambition to go any further.

I feel i have achieved what i wanted too, been more successful than i thought i would be and am happy to stay at that.
Thats completely fine Angie....i read somewhere from another geek that we shouldnt forgrt that particular nail tech who is quietly producing good sets of nails,and has her book with regular clients and earning an income....praise be to them i say.

Its all about having the motivation to do the "little" things that are overlooked.So many of us want to strive,and go to the top,it doesnt matter on the "position" one wants to get to.

Im happy being a salon owner,and want a salon back home in France...i have no plans to be an educator,trainer,sales director thankyou very much.

I love and NEED to be with my clients too much to branch out into other dpartments of beauty and nails.

At present,am motivated for my love of Academie,and pursuing enhancements,taking it slowly,and not rushing...very untypical of a sagittariun though!:biggrin::D

Brilliant thread!!!!!!!!

I think if you're self-employed and working mainly on your own, you have to be self- motivated as there aren't any team meetings and the like (except on here) to help get you motivated and to boost your desire to improve or just get on and improve....nor a manager to big you up or knock you down.

You have to motivate yourself to do it, otherwise you might just stay in bed....sometimes I wake up and think I'd love to have a lie in, but I get up and get on, can't pull a sickie when working for yourself!

I think also too that this is the type of industry that if you aren't self motivated you won't survive. We have no choice but to keep at it and love it too x

fab thread

i am motivated but i have my off days as i am sure many people do

i long for the day when i can give up the part time office job but i know that soon that day will come

i began my training in 2005 and am loving every minute of what i do, at the end of each year i think about what i have achieved and give myself a pat on the back and then i think about what i want for the next year

To be honest you have to be motivated when you are responsible for your own earnings...it would be so easy sometimes to say "no sorry i am fully booked" on days where i feel i cant be bothered.....but i don't cos i need to be earning and that client could become a regular and go on to tell others who could also become regulars....i never see it as turning down £30 but as turning down a possible £100's of pounds.

I never signed up for over time at Next..extra hours or stayed late....cos i hated my job....i would never have done the hours i do now then.....but now its different....cos i love what i do.

ditto and double ditto ... although maybe one day I'll give one of those comps a go !! me and hubby talked about opening a salon when little man gets to school but (this might sound very lazy) I can't do with all the hassle, I'm quite happy running my biz from home, it suits me and my family 100%, before I was a member here i thought I had to have my own salon to be a success, but having read all about your life's it changed my mind, I'm motivates enough this year to be a full service tech and to pass at least one masters, ask me next year I might aim higher..... but for now I'm very happy to be doing what I'm doing.. thank you very much xx

I think also too that this is the type of industry that if you aren't self motivated you won't survive. We have no choice but to keep at it and love it too x

I do agree with this comment Cathie, especially if you are self employed.

That said, don't you think that you can plateau sometimes? and just coast along doing OK nails with an OK clientel and this let's the competition catch up or even overtake you.

It takes self motivation to get out there find out what changes are happening in the Industry and what courses and new concepts can improve your skills and take you to the next level. This will give you the edge over the competition, and keep your enthusiasm levels up.

Latest posts

Back