Self-tanning disaster, please help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsGena

Reaction score
Hi, I bought some spray tan solution so I could spray myself and eventually my friends. I currently do not own a spray gun, so I use the mitt for now. Well, I put some liquid solution onto my mitt and rubbed it on my face and it was a disaster, to put it mildly.

I am using an alcoholic herb on my skin 2x daily, so my skin feels like sand paper to the touch, unfortunately. It went on like this: (see first pic)

Then, I figured, okay my skin is MUCH too dry. Of course it's coming out like this. I purchased St. Ives moisturizer (I also have Cerave, which is also supposed to be good, but I no longer use it due to parabens), and using it for 2 days, immediately after I put on the alcoholic extract, my skin actually felt like human skin. I know you're not supposed to put moisturizer on your face prior to tanning, but my skin was THAT dry. Okay, so now I thought I had a good canvas to lather it in. Did the same method (poured a small bit of solution onto my mitt) and put it on my face and it turned out disastrous AGAIN. (see second pic)

I no longer know what to do at this point, and I REALLY want to make this self-tanning thing work as I refuse to prematurely age my skin through UV. I gotta be tan -_-

Does anybody have any tips? It goes on great on other parts of me, like my arms and legs. I never saw anyone look so dirty with the guide color on :( I definitely want to fix this as I cannot bear to look at myself like this, and obviously I cannot be seen by anybody else after I apply.

Attachments

• JAWLINE_FIRST_TRY_NO_MOISTURIZER.jpg
    JAWLINE_FIRST_TRY_NO_MOISTURIZER.jpg
    918.4 KB · Views: 77
  • FOREHEAD_AFTER_MOISTURIZER_2ND_TRY.jpg
    FOREHEAD_AFTER_MOISTURIZER_2ND_TRY.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I’m not familiar with the products you are using but If you plan on doing this as a business then get some training.
All courses go through prep & troubleshooting so you’ll know exactly what to do if something goes wrong.
Also if you tan skin that is really dry you won’t get the results you are looking for without thorough preparation prior to tanning.

Spray tan solution is designed to be used with a gun/machine so that a fine mist is applied.

Saturating your skin with a mitt is not how its meant to be done so of course you are having problems.

Either book training & buy the kit or go to professional for your tans. Xx

Please do some training before you spray anyone. There is a lot to learn and a lot that can go wrong. For example, You could actually put someone in hospital or worse if they are allergic to any ingredients. You can buy a fake bake product on the high street (i think its called the face) maybe try this xx

Latest posts

Back