Self taught from youtube, employed in salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtend

Reaction score
Hi geeks, Im a hair extensionist in worcestershire area, and I have seen on facebook alot of people advertising them selfs as extensionists, there is one girl in paticular that offers a full head of extensions for 80??? lol i cant even buy the hair for that price! anyway she taught herself how to do extensions off you tube!! and ive just learnt that she has just been employed at a local salon to come in and fit hair extensions!!! i find this abit worrying, is this even legal can people really get employed in a salon without the right certification??? If so I find it abit unfair to all the extensionist that work hard to get a certificate :(

I very much doubt this is legal as she won't hold a certificate therefore she has no insurance!!!!!! I'd say book in have a treatment with her the next day phone up saying its pulled your hair out, get a solicitor and sue her she won't have a leg to stand on.
Better still phone the salon and tell them you have heard they have in insured hair professionals (give them the girls name you are reffering to) and tell them you will be contacting the watch.
Hth x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I meant the watch dog lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Anyone can do a one day course in extensions and be 'qualified' but it doesn't mean they're any good at it and won't cause damage to someone's hair.

(Personally, I'd only allow another fully qualified hairdresser to mess with my hair as I don't think 1 day hair extensions courses provide remotely adequate training if the trainee isn't already a hairdresser.)

However, she may actually be great at what she does. She may also have completed a course somewhere, how do you know she hasn't?

You don't have to hold any certificates in the UK to offer general hair & beauty services, so the Salon isn't acting illegally even if the majority of their staff are 'unqualified'.

Also, they still may be covered by insurance if the Salon Owner/employer has employed them on a trainee basis and they are supervising their work.

Hi, before jumping in, find out the full details or it will come back to you and bite you in the b--, there is a difference between being qualified and being competent. Someone can be qualified to do a job but not be competent and visa versa. Always get the full details not just hearsay, as you could be sued yourself for detrimentally affecting the girl's business which would then impact on her home life as she like you relies on money to pay bills. Just a thought.

I've seen qualified extensionists ruin peoples hair so never judge a book by it's cover lol. It's not illegal to do hair if you're not qualified and it's not illegal for the salon owner to take her on. :)

Like John frieda said ( I think it was him ) qualifications do not make you a hairdresser

Like John frieda said ( I think it was him ) qualifications do not make you a hairdresser

nope, but they do make your insurance valid ;)
having just had to do a repair on a self taught "extensionist"s handywork i would make sure all the relevant qualifications and experience were in place!! and my client thought she would be ok incidently as the girl who done them had been hairdressing for 10 years.... but she learned extensions from youtube also!!

Latest posts

Back