Self taught

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MissBella

Reaction score
Hi everyone Im self taught in gel and acrylic nails and nail art mainly free hand but starting to do airbrush.Ive been doing nails since i was 15. Here are a few pictures of mine and my mums nails. These are old pictures probably around 3 years :eek: and not great quality but the only ones i have at the moment. Can you all let me know what you think these are gel nails. http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j274/bella_album/nails.jpg
These are my mums nails and not all perfect length.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j274/bella_album/Pic-0979.jpg
After i did some free hand nail art
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j274/bella_album/mynails.jpg
These were gel nails after about 2 or 3 weeks before i did infills and i tried to hide my natural nail growth :lol:
Id love for you all to tell me what you think or if im going wrong anywhere. Ill try to post more recent pictures

Your nails are pretty hunny,

However you will probably get a few unsavoury comments about being self taught when others have spent thousands - Just a warning..

Is it just yours and your mums nails you are doing as you will have to watch out with insurance as you won't be insured without a qualification and i don't want you getting sued.

Good Luck xxx

they look lovely but the pic is too small....well done hun...xx qualification is necessary!!!!

they are very good...dont waste your talent and get trained properly

youve got talent girl

My advice to you is to seek professional training.
Only that way, can you garner full support. Not only from distributors regarding PROFESSIONAL products, but from fellow nail technicians.

We all worked very hard, and paid a LOT of money to get where we are.
You will find on these forums that we are not fond of DIY's (Do It Yourself) as they 'usually' cause more problems than anything else. On a regular basis, we are fixing said problems caused by DIY's.

We paid our dues, and expect others to do the same.

Having said that, from looking at your work, although pictures are poor, it seems you are on the right track.

I urge you to seek professional training though.
You're not likely to get much support without it.

You do seem to have quite a talent - have you ever thought about getting properly trained so that you can work on the general public and get paid for it.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but would you do a home perm and then walk into a hairdressers and say look at this I have done it myself what do you think.

With the talent you have think of how far you could go in this industry with proper recognised training.

Yeah Im trying to save up to go on the creative course but with a 7 month old its a little hard lol. I was ment to go on it last year but the boss at the salon i worked at had to move away and then i got glandular fever so it put me out for a few months. I would really love to go on some courses and work in a salon or start up mobile. I do my family and friends nails i love the practice and i find it very relaxing I hope that my nails have gotten better over the years since i did those nails so ill have to get some recent pictures. Thank you all for your comments i hope to do a course very soon :)

Yeah Im trying to save up to go on the creative course but with a 7 month old its a little hard lol. I was ment to go on it last year but the boss at the salon i worked at had to move away and then i got glandular fever so it put me out for a few months. I would really love to go on some courses and work in a salon or start up mobile. I do my family and friends nails i love the practice and i find it very relaxing I hope that my nails have gotten better over the years since i did those nails so ill have to get some recent pictures. Thank you all for your comments i hope to do a course very soon :)

good girl yourself and no it isnt easy with kids fair play to ya hun keep it up

I have to say, I think they look very nice.

Do you do anyone else's nails or is it just family?

I would be interested to

a) hear what you do about sanitisation
b) know what you do if you get lifting/bacterial infection (or have you not encountered these?)
c) see the condition of yours and your mum's nails underneath (obviously not possible lol)

You are very brave (or possibly just naive :)) to put this thread on this site! We have all spent a LOT of money to get trained so that we can build successful businesses and, without wanting to sound mean, NOBODY on here is going to turn round and say "oh, yes, well of course some people don't NEED to train, they're just a natural." But some people certainly have a natural flair for it and you definitely have that!

Depending on where you want to go with your nails (and from what I can see so far, you could actually make quite a success of yourself and your talents:)), my advice would be to take some professional training (maybe with the company who supply the products you are using, if you are happy using them?) then you can start charging for what you can obviously do well, with the knowledge that you are safely and properly using the right tools and equipment (you will also be able to get insurance after a proper course, which obviously you won't at the moment).

PLEASE geeks, don't lets turn this thread sour and put MissBella off nails for life . . . :hug:

Thats good i admire your passion to do this, as them nails look great! you have done so well i can assure you i prob wouldnt of been able to do them that good before i done my course xx:hug:

The only form of training ive had is my old boss showed me a few things and she had more than 20 years doing nails. but sadly no proffesional courses :cry:

you obviously have the eye.. get training and we will support you 100%.

We all have to start somewhere and you obviously have a talent for it which you should persue. It would be a real shame if you didn't get yourself professionally trained, then you could start earning some money ! but my strong advice to you is please don't go into business before getting qualified. Start your business off on the right foot. We will give you all the help and encouragement you could wish for, day or night there is allways someone on here to answer questions.

Good luck xx

WELL DONE YOU :hug: you obviously are a natural, especially if you have improved since then!

You obviously have a sensible head on your shoulders and are working towards a recognised course/training, which I am sure you will pass with flying colours :hug:

I am sure that you will be aware of sanitization etc as you have worked in a salon previously and despite the fact you have no formal training at least you had some from a salon owner, so in my book that is better than none at all.

You also, are only practising on friends and family (isn't that who we practiced on at the onset of our careers? - it was for me along with the nail trainer), so imho, I think that is responsible behaviour - but once you have your formal qualification, then the sky is your limit :green:

Whilst, I understand that this forum is for professionals, I think that anyone who has such a passion for nails should be encouraged especially when they are doing their best AND are saving to have the proper training to become a recognised professional.

Well done MissBella - I wish you all the best for the future :hug:

they do look nice hun, but if you havent had training and you dont have an nvq you might qualify for a free nvq course, search the threads on here to find out more , hth xx

Ive never had any problems or infections. Im aware that i need real training and cannot go any further in my career until i do so and i cant wait for the training. Thank you for all your kind words and advice :) Im learning so much from this site thank you everyone :) I knew this thread might have not gone down well but if it helps me to further myself. Can anyone suggest any good courses other than creative in the uk i live in the west midlands.

Have a look at this link, you may find yourself eligible for a grant for training from The Princes Trust. I know someone who was young, with kids who ended up with a £5000 grant!

Prince's Trust - grants for jobs and training

Pity I'm an old crinkly!!

You reallt should have a look at this, try other places like your local business Link as they may be able to find funding too.

You have a promising talent there girl...go for it!

WELL DONE YOU :hug: you obviously are a natural, especially if you have improved since then!

You obviously have a sensible head on your shoulders and are working towards a recognised course/training, which I am sure you will pass with flying colours :hug:

I am sure that you will be aware of sanitization etc as you have worked in a salon previously and despite the fact you have no formal training at least you had some from a salon owner, so in my book that is better than none at all.

You also, are only practising on friends and family (isn't that who we practiced on at the onset of our careers? - it was for me along with the nail trainer), so imho, I think that is responsible behaviour - but once you have your formal qualification, then the sky is your limit :green:

Whilst, I understand that this forum is for professionals, I think that anyone who has such a passion for nails should be encouraged especially when they are doing their best AND are saving to have the proper training to become a recognised professional.

Well done MissBella - I wish you all the best for the future :hug:

Hear hear :hug:

Good luck to you with training hun, it looks to me like you'll do well. :hug:

Have a look at this link, you may find yourself eligible for a grant for training from The Princes Trust. I know someone who was young, with kids who ended up with a £5000 grant!

Prince's Trust - grants for jobs and training

Isn't great that everyone has been so encouraging! good luck with finding the right training. there is a young girl doing the NVQ at nightschool, who applied to the Prince's Trust and she was offered a 4k grant. she isn;t taking it, as she want to go mobile, but it is good to know that there are options out there.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/69014-omg-free-nvq-training.html
Good Luck

Jayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back