Selling products whilst on furlough?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissRelish

Reaction score
I'm a director of my company and currently, I'm being furloughed due to the lockdown. Iv read that I cant make money for my company whilst on furlough is this correct?
Some of my clients are wanting to buy skincare products from me I'm a bit reluctant to do this as is this legal? am I allowed to sell products and make money if I'm furloughed? It's all so confusing! can someone help me..
Thanks

If you are waged and receiving full furlough, then no, you can’t sell. However you can part furlough yourself abd work part time. I’m not sure if the rules are different for company directors. In lock down one you could furlough yourself for 3 weeks then unfurlough yourself (I think for 3 weeks) abd then put yourself back on furlough.

I’m not sure whether you can be on furlough for say 4 days in 5 like an employee. I don’t qualify for furlough so I’m not au fait with the legislation. Your accountant should be able to advise about part-time furlough options. As you’re a company director you’ll have an accountant who prepares your end of year accounts. It’s not much extra to ask them for advice during the rest of the year.

Last edited:
Aside from my beauty business, I am also a payroll manager, looking after multiple companies.

Directors can remain furloughed while preforming their day-to-day tasks to keep the business running. They cannot do anything to generate income. This is the wording from HMRC;
"Where furloughed directors need to carry out particular duties to fulfil the statutory obligations they owe to their company during hours which they are recorded as being on furlough, they may do so provided they do no more than would reasonably be judged necessary for that purpose, i.e. they should not do work of a kind they would carry out in normal circumstances to generate commercial revenue or provides services to or on behalf of their company."

Directors can flexibly furlough themselves, working as much or as little as they like. I have clients that work just one day in the whole month. The 3 week rule no longer stands. Just remember you can ONLY claim for time you were furloughed.

So if you wanted to work (making money) a couple of hours per week, then you can, you just can't claim those hours

Latest posts

Back