Semi-Permanent Makeup

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spicykat

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone help me. I do semi permanent makeup and i've had all the checks with the council health authority department etc... and i'm registered with them as you have to have a base. If i do any other salon work i need to let them know which other salons i go to, again this i've done.
I've been asked to go to peoples houses so again i've rung them and they say that this is perfectly ok to do. I was advised by another micropigmentation technician to put down clean sheets on the floor and i've also got a plastic sheet on the bed so that i can disinfect it. I've now started advertising a mobile service and i've just recieved an email from someone saying that it is illegal!!!!

If this is true then i wouldn't be advertising it but why has the council said that it's ok to do. If it is illegal why don't they know surely they would've said no to me.

I haven't carried out anyone's treatments at home and i really want to get to the bottom of this before i do. The last thing i want is to get a bad reputation and obviously do something that is illegal.

Look forward to your replies.
:)

Quote from Wake Up With Make Up - Cosmetic Tattoo Makeup - www.cosmetictattoo.com
"Permanent Cosmetics, Permanent Makeup, Micropigmentation and Cosmetic Tattoo are terms all describing the same thing; the tattooing of pigment into the dermal layer of the skin with needles. Other terms such as "semi-permanant makeup,lineology and dermalogy" are sometimes used wrongly to mislead the consumer to believe they are receiving something other than a tattoo
There is no such thing as a "dermalogist or lineologist". And at this point (2008) there is no such thing as "Semi-Permanent Cosmetics" applied by needles. These are deceptive terms and relay false information to the pulic. Be aware of the terminology your practitioner uses. Don't be fooled by fancy terms you don't understand.

The truth is, any application of pigment into the skin is tattooing. While it is definitely a specialty within the art of tattooing and requires specialized supplies and training, it is still tattooing. Some might like to suggest that it's not tattooing, but if color is placed in the skin with needles, there's only one thing that can be; a tattoo"

Semi permanent makeup can be washed off. If the color is applied using needles, it is not semi-permanent. Read about this on the Society of Permanent Cosmetic Professionals - SPCP at Society of Permanent Cosmetics Professionals - permanent makeup, micropigmentation,* permanent cosmetics, and cosmetic tattoo technician organization

Traveling technicians who do these procedures in peoples homes hold no respect among professionals in the industry and are considered 'rogue'. It is impossible to control the environment in a home setting, and greatly disdained by OSHA. The threat and possiblity of Blood Borne Pathogen Cross Contamination is of great concern to Permanent Cosmetic Professionals, OSHA and should be of great concern to the public.

Sheets? Seriously ..NO!! Sheets must be laundered, thereby putting at risk anyone else who lives in or visits the home where an invasive procedure has been performed. All sundries must be 100% disposable.

It's extremely disheartening and quite scary that in 2008 with what information is available to us about viruses and pathogen that a trainer would not have steered you in the right direction and avidly oppose any intention you may have of performing permanent makeup procedures out of clients' homes.

Not only will you gain a bad reputation, the public at large is put at great health risk by anyone perfoming permanent makeup procedures anywhere other than an approved, controlled, safe environment.

Please seek the advise of professionals at the Society of Permanent Cosmetic Professionals, and re-think your decision to use the term "semi" permanent if in fact you are using needles to implant color.

Last edited:
Hi
Thanks for that information i've not read where it says it's illegal but i've only briefly read through it. However the council should be aware of this I've rung them today and a guy is going to ring me back tom so I will be informing him of this info.

I know what you are saying about the semi permanent but the colour does actually fade over a few years which is why it's probably referred to as semi permanent. Anyhow i really appreciate your help and I'll be changing my advertising.

Regards
Kat

Here in the UK, you DO NOT need a license to visit people's homes to do SPMU. Strange but true. :hug:xxx

Oh right so that's why the health department said it was ok then. I'm not saying it's right but what about tattooists they go to bike festivals and carry out tattooing and what about the beauty show's, isn't that just as bad if not worse as a lot of people stand around you to watch.

Aye, and I have known friends of ours hold "tattoo parties" too where they all go and get tattoos done by one of our friends who is a tattooist...

and also you have district nurses who go to peoples homes to deal with wounds and even take stitches out etc... So why is it so strict for us. I don't know it just doesn't seem right. People don't want to go to hospitals anymore cos of all the germs etc...

I always say that the dirtiest thing in the room is the client as they've just walked in from the street.

Yes I agree and as for airbourne germs they are everywhere and I can't see how you can get away from that. The cleanest of places still have germs. Why is it just for permanent makeup surely it should be for any tattooist. If tattooists are carrying it out in homes and at festivals why should it stop us from doing it at home. I guess we could go on forever about laws etc...

Oh right so that's why the health department said it was ok then. I'm not saying it's right but what about tattooists they go to bike festivals and carry out tattooing and what about the beauty show's, isn't that just as bad if not worse as a lot of people stand around you to watch.

It's different in all councils...here your NOT allowed to tattoo anyone apart from in your studio.....all councils are different and its weird !!

Hiya,

I understand your concerns, councils have different systems in each borough.

one of my councils won't let me do a demo at a show, or take yellow waste in the car, and others are happy for me to demonstrate in beauty seminars/shows exhibitions and take and dispose of my waste in my clinics.
some have even said that if you donate to charity, hospitals will take your full sharps box and dispose of? not tried that yet.

Yes i agree, it's not completely safe to work in the home, as there are kids, pets etc etc. and there can be alot of people in and out of the room disturbing your work. I don't think its that safe.

But never say never, if i was in a stuck situation and for E.G had a disabled person who wanted PMU and could not get to one of my clinics for any reason, I would offer the service to them at home, why not.

Good luck in what ever you do, if your council are happy and you are following a strict standard and work with safety in mind (after all you can have a baby at home, why not some new brows)

Jenny x

Yes I know it's crazy. Well I have had a disabled lady contact me just yesterday. Anyway i'm not advertising it mobile as i can't be doing with the hassle and of course i don't want to get a bad reputation. The SPCP is an American Society so has nothing to do with the UK. It just annoys me so much there's so much like you say you can have babies at home!!

Thanks guys for your comments.

Yes I know it's crazy. Well I have had a disabled lady contact me just yesterday. Anyway i'm not advertising it mobile as i can't be doing with the hassle and of course i don't want to get a bad reputation. The SPCP is an American Society so has nothing to do with the UK. It just annoys me so much there's so much like you say you can have babies at home!!

Thanks guys for your comments.

If it's easier for you and your disabled client to treat her mobile rather than in salon then I'd say do it - if anyone complains just say that it's a "reasonable adjustment" to cater for her needs under the Disability Discrimination Act.

I am confused!!! I have just taken on some more salons to go in and perform semi permanent make up and the licensing laws seem like an absolute nightmare. Is there a kind of blanket license that allows you as a mobile technician to go into any salons or does each salon have to be licensed individually. If this is the case it would be quite expensive and also very time consuming as the councils dont seem to operate particularly quickly.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

many thanks
Karenx

Shall we start a campaign? We pay so much out for licenses that it amounts to discrimination.

Hi
I have been searching every website i can find and doing a lot of research into micropigmetation as i am interested in taking up training in the subject in the future.

the only information i can find on Micropigmentation, semi-permanent tattooing, semi-permanent make-up is this from the HSE Local Authority Circular and Local Authorities Enforcement Liaison Committee (HELA)LAC Number:14/1 - Micropigmentation
hope it helps

i would definitely be up for a campaign.................but chances are we wouldnt have any success.............good idea though. x

Shall we start a campaign? We pay so much out for licenses that it amounts to discrimination.

does this go for everything we are trained in kim>??

or just Micropigmentation, semi-permanent tattooing, semi-permanent make-up

Latest posts

Back