Sensitive skin on 14 year old

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOS14

Reaction score
Looking for some advice for my 13 year old daughter. I can't seem to find a suitable cleanser for her very sensitive skin. She has got acne on her forehead and has been prescribed a cream by the docs and has been prescribed aveeno as a moisturiser, this is the only moisturiser she has tried that doesn't sting. She has tried Dermalogica pre cleanse and ultra calming cleanser and both sting, Simple stings and she was recently using a Micellar water which was fine for a while but now stinging across her cheek area. Really don't know where to turn to next as don't want to be spending a fortune but need to get something suitable for her. Thanks for any advice. X

I would recommend environ cleanser. If she were my client I would pop some in a bottle to try. You may find that the product given by the gp is causing her increased sensitivity.
Ty and find an environ salon and get some advice.

Vicki x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for replying, we've already tried Environ and was too harsh on her, she is only using her cream from docs on her forehead, her main sensitivity is on her cheeks, she did say the other night the only thing that doesn't sting is water but she is wearing makeup so she needs something to cleanse properly! x

I'm wondering if you've been given the sebuwash to cleanse rather than the avst cleanser. You may find that anything with a foaming effect may contain sls which she could be sensitive to.

Vicki x

She was given the sebu wash but I was using the cleanser that she tried and was sensitive to both, really don't know where to turn to next! x

Have you tried the dermalogica clear start? Was she pescribed acne cream from the doc?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I had a client with the same problem after a few different washes we ended up with guinot microbiotic mouse realy helped her it was fab. Think you can find it on all beauty.com

I would look at her whole skin care regime. It sounds like her skin is so depleted it will react to everything. What kind of moisturiser is she using, and what make up etc?
All these things will have an effect on how her skin reacts.

Vicki x

I have really sensitive skin and I have found the La Roche toleriane cleanser to be very good.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek mobile app

Have her try the "First Aid" brand cleanser they sell at sephora, my skin is sensitive to where it gets really red easily and that is the best cleanser i've used that doesn't give me a bad reaction!

Hi, I recommend you try Dermaviduals. See their website dermaviduals.co.uk. The range is based on the theory of Corneotherapy and is backed by well over 700+ research papers. The skin reacts because it feels it's under attack. Rather than try to push ingredients into the skin, these products restore and repair the outer layer, the acid mantle and stratum corneum. Once this protective element is in place the skin no longer feels under attack and starts to heal. Prices are not expensive. Products contain no emulsifiers which can upset oil balance, no parfum or preservatives. This range works brilliantly for sensitive skins.

Where can I buy dermividuals as there doesn't seem to be any prices online? We've tried clean start, too harsh, using aveeno moisturiser and Jane iredale powder foundation and a body shop liquid liner. Thanks for all the replies. X

Going to go out on a limb but coconut oil is great for removing makeup, extremely gentle, there's a thread on it here somewhere. Good luck

You could also use a Jane Iredale mitt as they remove all make up with just water, but I think the real issue is the reactivity of her skin. She need some serious nourishment which she clearly isn't getting from her current regime. Unfortunately a lot of doctors know very little about skin.

She needs a full consultation with the back up of a refund if the products aren't suitable. Otherwise you are just chasing your tail. I would try and find a reputable salon and get some advice. I'm afraid I don't think this is the place for it! All you will get is anecdotal evidence of "this worked for me".

Vicki x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

It sounds like her skins barrier function is impaired if products are stinging.. They are probably sinking into the skin too quickly due to her barrier function not working properly so this would cause the products to sting. I use Dermalogica products which I know you said she's tried the cleanser but perhaps barrier repair moisturiser would be a good start for her to get her skins barrier working properly again.

I agree with Vicki she needs to go to see a therapist with a good knowledge of skin to have a look and they can recommend properly for her.

Good luck!

Ok im going to take a different stance on this. Im wondering if its food or drink thats causing the problem or another environmental factor. I know if i eat some foods its causes my skin to become sensitive and then the products i use sting.

For starters would cut anything out of the diet that isnt fruit, veg, meat or fish, whole dairy such as butter instead of marg etc and wholewheat bread pasta etc and only drink water. I would do this for 6 to 8 weeks to give her body a good chance to flush anything that may be causing the sensitivity. I would also ensure she is washing in tepid water, not hot or cold but standard body temp and you can get water purifiers to go over showerheads to purify your shower water so anything that maybe causing sensitivity there will be gone too. I also recommend giving her a pre and pro biotic each day for 6 to 8 weeks so her skin can start building a barrier again. Imagine your skin like your gut, if there is no good bactieria it cant be protected so needs rebuilding.

I would lay off the make up completely and any other products for 6-8 weeks then slowly introduce again one at a time andl once starting to introduce products look of for pre and pro biotics in skincare like medik8s beta moisteriser

Hth

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Where can I buy dermividuals as there doesn't seem to be any prices online? We've tried clean start, too harsh, using aveeno moisturiser and Jane iredale powder foundation and a body shop liquid liner. Thanks for all the replies. X

Look on the web ID skincare - UK distributor of Dermaviduals. Info on the products is there. There are no prices displayed because they are only allowed to be sold through salons/clinics. You can fill in the contact form on the site, or call them on 020 8341 6967 to ask about prices and your nearest salon.

Latest posts

Back