Sensitive tot...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HWilliams

Reaction score
My Anthony will be 3 in January

I am very worried about him. He sleeps through anything but lately when he's awake, any loud noise scares him.

A couple of weeks ago, my sister in law came round with her son, same age and he cried as he didn't want dinner. My son burst into tears. Then my friend had a power cut so as she's got 3 small kids, I invited them all over. My son was fine til 1 cried then he went ballistic. He was so upset, didn't calm down til they left.

Then today, had to take my car in the garage and the airgun they use sounds a bit like a drill, Anthony clung to me for dear life, he was sobbing and then he peed so much, it went through nappy, trousers and onto my jeans!

He used to go to nursery for the 2 days a week I was in college and will be starting nursery in Sep as I have some fixed days at work but I am so worried about him, I just don't know what to do.

Spoke to his nursery and they are aware of his sensitivity and will work to help him but what if a child screams and reduces Anthony into a cowering wreck while I'm not there to hold him and comfort him.

Just laying next to him and he is such a happy boy normally but when he gets in that state it's painful to watch.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

H x

My youngest went through a very similar stage hun - not so much with every day noises like the hoover but with loud, startling noises or if people/children around him got upset. He would literally cling to me and be inconsolable.

I found that just reassuring him, whilst trying not to reinforce that his being a hysterical wreck meant mum would drop everything and come running, helped and over time he gradually stopped doing it.

If it something that you feel is concerning hunny I would mention it to your health visitor also - sounds daft but could he perhaps have sensitive ears that are causing him to react to certain levels of noise and that is what is frightening him so. Poor little love, give him a Geeky hug off me xxxx

My youngest went through a very similar stage hun - not so much with every day noises like the hoover but with loud, startling noises or if people/children around him got upset. He would literally cling to me and be inconsolable.

I found that just reassuring him, whilst trying not to reinforce that his being a hysterical wreck meant mum would drop everything and come running, helped and over time he gradually stopped doing it.

If it something that you feel is concerning hunny I would mention it to your health visitor also - sounds daft but could he perhaps have sensitive ears that are causing him to react to certain levels of noise and that is what is frightening him so. Poor little love, give him a Geeky hug off me xxxx

Thank you so much for your kind reply, that is EXACTLY what he is like. It is so good to finally find someone that understands what I mean.

I am going to try to still reassure but try to back away a bit just like you said, but difficult because he digs his fingers in me so I find it hard to move.

Possibly a hearing test is a great idea... I didn't even think of it being a possible health visitor issue.

He's all snug as a bug in a rug in bed now but I will hug him first thing in the morning.

Thank you so much x

:hug:

It is so hard hun because you don't think anyone will understand - we were like that and it was especially hard as my hubby owned a garage so if we visited, i had to leave my little boy in the car and stay outside to talk to hubby and have dinner because the air guns and stuff would start him off in seconds!

If you ever need to chat hunny, you know where I am xxxx

I definitely think you should take it up with a doctor/health care professional. As the other gal said, it could be a hearing issue that's causing him to hear it louder/differently than the rest of us.

That isn't normal at all, and it would be better to get him help before he suffers anymore! :sad:

I urge you to seek a hearing test hun. Erin was the same. She still is. She is now waiting for a few operations and a hearing aid. Her speech has improved with therapy but she wakes easily and cant tolerate high pitchs or very low ones. She's.adorable but she's very hard work. Don't let your health.visitor fob u off! Ask tl be referred now as even a wait for a hearing test can be long...we waited five months. Insist insist insist. We were referred over two years ago... We are still waiting for her hearing aid and operations. And now her behaviour has got worse with her control issues and lack of understanding. It may be theres nothing.wrong with your little man, i sincerely hope not. We kept thinking it was a phase and here we are today still struggling xxx good luck x keep us.posted

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

It is so hard hun because you don't think anyone will understand - we were like that and it was especially hard as my hubby owned a garage so if we visited, i had to leave my little boy in the car and stay outside to talk to hubby and have dinner because the air guns and stuff would start him off in seconds!

If you ever need to chat hunny, you know where I am xxxx

It was Hell in Kwik Fit today... thank you so much xxx

I definitely think you should take it up with a doctor/health care professional. As the other gal said, it could be a hearing issue that's causing him to hear it louder/differently than the rest of us.

That isn't normal at all, and it would be better to get him help before he suffers anymore! :sad:

I definately will call in the morning now... Thanx

I urge you to seek a hearing test hun. Erin was the same. She still is. She is now waiting for a few operations and a hearing aid. Her speech has improved with therapy but she wakes easily and cant tolerate high pitchs or very low ones. She's.adorable but she's very hard work. Don't let your health.visitor fob u off! Ask tl be referred now as even a wait for a hearing test can be long...we waited five months. Insist insist insist. We were referred over two years ago... We are still waiting for her hearing aid and operations. And now her behaviour has got worse with her control issues and lack of understanding. It may be theres nothing.wrong with your little man, i sincerely hope not. We kept thinking it was a phase and here we are today still struggling xxx good luck x keep us.posted

Oh God bless her... Ok, I will deffo call in the morning.

Erin, I love that name. I pray that you all have the strength to get through this and hope that everything she needs to recover happen soon for you.

Kids eh? They don't come with instruction manuals!

Cheers everyone xxx

Oh God bless her... Ok, I will deffo call in the morning.

Erin, I love that name. I pray that you all have the strength to get through this and hope that everything she needs to recover happen soon for you.

Kids eh? They don't come with instruction manuals!

Cheers everyone xxx

I have four. Harry, Erin, Matilda and Penelope. Erin is the hardest work.

Dont take no for an answer. Tell them it needs dealing with now! or ill ring them for you lol. :)

Keep me posted xx I hope hes ok. xxx

well can't get appt with Dr, have to ring every morning at 8am :(

However, things have taken a turn... Anthony visited the same children that appeared to traumatise him without me and there is photo & video evidence to prove that he was totally having a ball!

I am still going to talk to Dr just in case, but I think that Anthony is over sensitive when he is tired and sees me as a 'security blanket'

I have to be a bit firmer, I suppose.

I'll let you all know how my Pixinpooch gets on.

I also like to call him Man Fluff...

My hubby to be is Man Beast LOL

defo still take him docs but thats good.to.know. Its hard being firm.i know. Hospital for us today. Fingers crossed we get an op appointment x

defo still take him docs but thats good.to.know. Its hard being firm.i know. Hospital for us today. Fingers crossed we get an op appointment x

Good luck, lemme know how it all goes x

How did it go? X

I know this is way off topic, but may resonate to some. I have one dog that is terrified of fireworks/storms etc (other dog fine). So, watched a dog behavioural programme that said not to console a dog when they got upset because consoling them just reaffirmed their fears. So, when the dog got upset, we just starting ignoring them (rather than trying to console them) and, hey presto a 75% improvement in their fear..

Not meaning to compare your child to a dog by any means, but, maybe by consoling them with kisses and cuddles (your natural instinct) may just be reinforcing their fears. Maybe try ignoring their fears (ie not cuddling/kissing/etc), and distracting them in another way could help?

hth

she had her hearing aid mould done. she shall be wearing them within a fortnight. happy its.sorted. but gutted to x

I know this is way off topic, but may resonate to some. I have one dog that is terrified of fireworks/storms etc (other dog fine). So, watched a dog behavioural programme that said not to console a dog when they got upset because consoling them just reaffirmed their fears. So, when the dog got upset, we just starting ignoring them (rather than trying to console them) and, hey presto a 75% improvement in their fear..

Not meaning to compare your child to a dog by any means, but, maybe by consoling them with kisses and cuddles (your natural instinct) may just be reinforcing their fears. Maybe try ignoring their fears (ie not cuddling/kissing/etc), and distracting them in another way could help?

hth

Yes, that's what I meant by being tougher...

Thank you x

she had her hearing aid mould done. she shall be wearing them within a fortnight. happy its.sorted. but gutted to x

Well, you'd waited long enough! Sometimes I really hate the NHS.

Don't be gutted... As Erin gets older, technology will change. Maybe you'll be able get her something more discreet that will be just as effective, just thinking of when she goes to school cos some kids can be so cruel and would hate for someone to make her feel inferior/bullied.

You've done nothing wrong, never feel bad or down... Just one of these little things in life what makes us different/special.

Give her a massive squish from me x

she starts school.Tuesday. i can't wait. feel more positive now. she's beautiful. u know everyone thinks their own kids are beautiful but.she is. i dont care what she looks like but i dont want her feeling ugly cos of it x

Princess - I am sure that with you to guide her and enforce that she is no different to anybody else then she will never feel ugly or anything less than perfect. We each teac our kids so many qualities and the most important thing a mother can ever teach her daughters, IMO, is that beauty is not something that is visible to the eye but something that the heart and soul feel from a person :D

I am really glad they have sorted her hearing aid out finally for you, it must be difficult dealing with the stress of waiting and stuff :(

H - how has the little man been? Hope he is good :D

Give them both a mahoosive snuggle off me xxx

Latest posts

Back