Serious back pain, anyone suffer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modernlydie

Reaction score
Neck, shoulders but mostly upper back. It starts with the first client of the day, aching then gets worse and worse until I can barely raise my arms, feels like hit knives in my shoulder blades and am in tears.
I go to physio and am on painkillers daily. Physio said I should give up hairdressing!!
Does anyone have a magic wand or miracle cure? Failing that has anyone found reiki, acupuncture or any other holistic therapies work?
Yours desperately! :(

I do.

My mum suffers from a genetic spinal condition, I'm currently battling with the physio to get referred for a scan but he's not having it.

I feel your pain ! 😭😭in agony too / am waiting for an x ray on mine to see as it's so bad! Have tried physio, osteopath, acupuncture / personally for me they work for so long then back is so bad I'm back to square one! Living on anti inflammatorys , painkillers and hot water bottles and still in pain xx

I do.

My mum suffers from a genetic spinal condition, I'm currently battling with the physio to get referred for a scan but he's not having it.

Really ?? That's awful that he won't refer u !especially with it bring genetic - keep fighting it!

Medical acupuncture - it's like black magic .. and have it done every 6 weeks to keep you in good health.

I've heard wonders about the Bowen Technique. I'm going to give it a try :)

Medical acupuncture - it's like black magic .. and have it done every 6 weeks to keep you in good health.

totally agree with the acupuncture! ask your physio if they think Pilates would be suitable for you, i had sciatica (just thinking about that pain makes me feel sick) and Pilates exercises really helped x

Thank you all, will defo look into all your suggestions, especially acupuncture. I've heard a rumour you can get it on the nhs....I can try at least!
I'm trying to build my core strength to support the muscles but any exercise and I end up in agony (it's not an excuse, I'm frustrated as an normally a very active person).
I only work part time so it shouldn't be that bad but it spasm up so quickly and it starts the spiral of pain. And I'm dreading the next 3 days, especially Saturday 😬
Physio will be ordering scans and xrays in 3 weeks, but what can that achieve? apart from maybe explaining the crunch in my shoulder!
I feel like I'm f!@#$ed and I really don't want to give up.
How us artistes suffer for our art eh?

Sorry to hear your back pain is so debilitating. I have a prolapse at L4/5 after falling downstairs when I was pregnant 15 years ago. The pain at times has been excruciating.

Since starting Pilates I'm so much better but if you're going to try it ensure you go to a really good class. It took me a while to find one but the instructor is fab and adapts treatments to each persons problems.

Really hope you find something to help you.

Really ?? That's awful that he won't refer u !especially with it bring genetic - keep fighting it!

Rachel I am jealous! I'm going to really push as I'm on painkillers every day now and it's just so ****.

Rachel I am jealous! I'm going to really push as I'm on painkillers every day now and it's just so ****.

It actually is so sh.. As today I was cooking dinner and couldn't get into the back of the own cupboard for a lid !! I can't empty the dishwasher , picking things up off the floor is agony !! Fight for it .... We are too soft !! My problem is after losing friends and family to cancer I always fear the worse but I'm trying to convince myself now I have some form if arthritis! I can't even remember what a day without pain is like ... Don't give up!!!

I have severe injuries to my spine.
I'm on an NHS trial of inversion therapy.
Baisically I hang upside down for 15 mins morning and night.
It's amazing! I've been able to come off my morphine for the first time in 5 years.
You can pick up inversion tables on eBay for around £60
It's great for releasing tension, realigning the spine and strengthening your core x

Try a foam roller
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1412546214.088384.jpg
that's an example of one. They are brill I got one similar months ago and couldn't be with out it. Pilates help but the foam roller I'd great lie over it and roll up back = relief! ☺️

I've heard wonders about the Bowen Technique. I'm going to give it a try :)

Bowen is fantastic
I have a girl who takes a clinic in my salon twice a week and she's getting busier all the time - all word of mouth referrals
It's one of those treatment that you think can't possibly be doing you any good, but then it does ! 👍

I have severe injuries to my spine.
I'm on an NHS trial of inversion therapy.
Baisically I hang upside down for 15 mins morning and night.
It's amazing! I've been able to come off my morphine for the first time in 5 years.
You can pick up inversion tables on eBay for around £60
It's great for releasing tension, realigning the spine and strengthening your core x

This sounds amazing - glad it is working for u xx

I think we all suffer back or neck issues due to poor posture, bending etc
My Mum had a bad neck and back she pushed an MRI scan and x rays etc it turns out she has cervical narrowing in her neck as well as de generative wear and tear

I find a good massage or a visit to the osteopath really helps me. It can be pricey but it's worth it

The Hubby had a back operation on a bulging disk at the age of 26 so I'm really aware of my back. Don't ignore anything!

Our health affects our lives and lively hood xx

Like Jodie said I think it's a hazard of the job! I suffer with back neck & shoulder pain! I've tried Physio, take pain killers regularly, Physio helps at the time, but pain always returns! I think the best thing we can do is regular gentle exercise like Pilates to help strengthen the muscles, & try to keep a good posture! Not easy when you're hanging over baths tho lol! X

It is something I worry about long term! I love my job and wouldn't want to be forced to give it up. My Physio gives exercises to do morning and night that take 5 mins I bet you could find them on google x

I get a bad back easily and find that shoes with good arch support, and exercise really helps! Finding half an hour a night to stretch, do yoga, or going to the gym regularly will work wonders. Having lots of core strength so muscle in your back and abs really helps keep your spine even and maintains good posture. I also do hula hooping and pole dance, theyre both good ways of maintaining muscle strength in a fun way.
Its best to prevent the damage than have to try to treat it, so the more muscle you build up in your back, the more it supports your spine and joints.

I agree that your core is key. The more core strength you do the better.
I have several slipped discs from t2-t10, 4 rear rib dislocations and a dislocation in my neck. A from pulling a faulty trolly when I was cabin crew :(

Latest posts

Back