Serving alcohol in salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shiv9mbs

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of doing a Saturday afternoon of 'martinis and manicures' but I'm unsure of whether a license is needed etc
Has anyone done anything else similar and can give me any advice? I'm in Scotland by the way so not sure if licensing laws are different?

Thanks in advance everyone x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

It all depends on your local council I'm afraid.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

It really depends, here we need a liquor license and so does all the staff who will be serving it. Although it's really easy to get, you have to be 18 years of age or older and the license is just a small test you do online. It may also be as simple as that where you are too.

I phoned Glasgow city council yesterday asking about this. I said I wanted to have a launch event in my salon and did I need a license to serve wine etc. The answer was as long as I was not charging for the drinks I did not need a license. I would check out how it works with treatments though as it might be insinuated that payment was built into the treatment cost so you would then need to give 4 weeks notice and get a temporary event license and possible certification training they said.

Our council states no, even if they're free drinks, as they can't guarantee the cost isn't incorporated in the price.

We used to be able to give free Mulled Wine with treatments in December, but nope! They stopped that too. :-(

We get round it now with non alcoholic sparkling wine - each council is different.

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

The law may be slightly different in Scotland but in England it works like this (i co own a mobile bar company so have spent a lot of time working with licencing!) A premises can be licenced to sell alcohol (Premises Licence) and a Personal Licence Holder has to authorise sales by being the Designated Premises Supervisor. This doesnt mean they have to be present at all times but alcohol is sold under their authority so they are ultimately responsible. For one off events you can apply for a Temporary Event Notice and anyone can apply for up to 5 of these a year unless you are a Personal Licence Holder in which case you can apply for up to 50. So if you are selling alcohol regularly you will need a Premises Licence but if it is a one off you can apply for a Temporary Event Notice. The grey area comes when a salon wants to give alcohol away to clients so do you need a licence or not? Well believe or not the way you work it out is actually (informally) called the Hairdresser test! The example given is a Hairdresser giving out Mulled wine to clients a Christmas, and if they give the wine to anyone who comes into the salon regardless of whether they buy a treatment or not this is considered a gift and no sale has occured and a licence of any kind is not needed. However if only clients who purchase a treatment are given the wine it is seen as being included as part of the purchase and so a sale has occured and a licence (either Premises or TEN) is required. Hope that helps! x:eek:

Ahhh so if I offer the postman a glass of mulled wine in the morning when he drops my post into work, I can serve it?

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yep but lets hope hes not on a bike or he could have a bit of a wobble lol :) x

You may be able to give complimentary drinks, but to charge you would need licence and a DPS.

Ditto Cheshire-Gal

Even if you dont charge for the drinks but only give them to clients who are paying for a service you still need a licence x

Even if you dont charge for the drinks but only give them to clients who are paying for a service you still need a licence x

Im almost 100% sure you dont. Its like running an open night and giving bucks gizz!

We used to do complimentary cocktails, beers, etc. We needed no extra licenses or anything as we weren't charging for them, just a nice touch :) xx

Check with your local council licensing department if in doubt but the information i was given was taken from the course you have to attend to become a Personal Licence Holder along with experience of contacting councils around the country and remember if you get it wrong the maximum penalty is a £10,000 fine and 5 years in prison - ouch! x

We used to do complimentary cocktails, beers, etc. We needed no extra licenses or anything as we weren't charging for them, just a nice touch :) xx

We were told that they were included in the price of a haircut or service, much the same as a tea or coffee, so it is the same as selling and needs a licence.

I would double check with the council first.

Coffee mugs......serve all alcohol in a coffee mug!:evil:

Latest posts

Back