setting gel on the thumbs!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helenlovesnails

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Merry christmas!

Just wondering what everyone had to say really... i have been doing gels now for about 3 yrs, and just recently have found when setting the thumbs they either do not set, so a lot of the colour comes away when i sanitise, or they just take ages.

I put the thumbs in seperatly to keep then flat, so hand is sort of tucked under the table with thumb in the lamp. hope that makes sense!

Just wondering what everyone else does?

Thanks very much

Hi everyone,

Merry christmas!

Just wondering what everyone had to say really... i have been doing gels now for about 3 yrs, and just recently have found when setting the thumbs they either do not set, so a lot of the colour comes away when i sanitise, or they just take ages.

I put the thumbs in seperatly to keep then flat, so hand is sort of tucked under the table with thumb in the lamp. hope that makes sense!

Just wondering what everyone else does?

Thanks very much

I take it you mean your Bio Sculpture gel is doing this? Make sure that your client has got their hand in the lamp properly when curing the thumb as if it is slightly on the side it will not cure properly. I occasionally cure the thumb nails slightly longer too just to make sure.

How long is your prep done before you start to apply the gel? I found that when i wiped over the thumb again before applying the gel that the gel cured better and I made sure there was no new dust or oils etc were on the nail. Do make sure that the sanitizer has evaporated from the nail though first.

HTH

I always have to give the thumbs extra cooking time. I have my client put just a thumb in for another minute or so when they switch hands. Or sometimes if I get done "gelling" one hand before the other is done "cooking" I'll have them put just the thumb in with the first hand.

I find with colour gel its better to put both thumbs in for a min then the whole hands that way the thumb nail is nearer to the bulb put your hand in the light and you will see what I mean.

Dawnie

Have you always had this problem or is it a recent issue? Are you using any new products? I would agree with the others in that you may just need to cure slightly longer. How long do you cure for at the moment?

You mentioned colour comes away when you sanitise. Make sure you cure a layer of clear over the previously cured colour. This will prevent any colour from coming away.

Like others, I find thumbs do need extra time since some clients place them at an odd angle even when it's just thumbs with fingers tucked....

hth x

If the colour comes off when you sanitise then they're definitely not cured properly...
Is it definitely just the thumbs this is happening to?
If not and it happens to the fingers too then change your UV bulbs and see if that helps.

If the colour comes off when you sanitise then they're definitely not cured properly...
Is it definitely just the thumbs this is happening to?
If not and it happens to the fingers too then change your UV bulbs and see if that helps.

I used to have this problem occasionally on the thumbs too Sandi with the Bio Sculpture gel - I could always tell it had cured properly because when I came to put the layer of clear or sealer gel on the colour was still wet underneath. The problem was solved by curing the thumbs longer.

When you say the colour comes away, are you saying it leaves bare patches on the nail or just that you have traces of colour on the wipe?

You shouldn't really need to wipe Bio colours after curing, until the final sealer coat (and after this is applied there should be NO colour whatsoever comes off). However if you need to refine a little before sealing, and are finding some colour on your wipe, thats fine as the inhibition layer does carry a little colour, although the gel should be intact on the nail....ie no bare patches.

If you are finding that the gel is actually wiping off the thumb nails, then yes, the positioning of your nail in the lamp could be a reason...Bio now do a hand rest to raise the hand.

I also would check your bulbs. They may be just starting to fade a little, so that the fingers cure well when fully in the lamp, but the thumbs are struggling positioned at the entrance. As Sandi says changing your bulbs should rectify this, but I would look at ways of raising the nails closer to the buls anyway, to ensure best cure. I get the client to make a sort of semi fist (finger pads resting against the base of the hand) and then put the side of the hand down so the thumb is raised on the top....this elevates the clients thumb naturally by a couple of inches and is perfect in the Bio lamp.

The thing that seemed to work for me was doing the four fingers on one hand with the thumb of the oposite hand, cure and then do the same thing with the other hand. That way you don't have to take extra time doing them seperately and they are still lying flat. Also be sure that your reflectors on the bottom of your lamp are clean. :)

Latest posts

Back