Setting the boundries

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackie1

Reaction score
Hi,

I am moving from the room I rent in a gym to a tanning studio. I have been happy in the gym with no issues, but it is in the wrong location.
I had said to the owner of the tanning studio I would put free sets on his staff to promote my nails. He has just phoned me to volunteer a couple of his family members for the same offer, he says he is trying to promote me.
I don't want to start giving out freebies to his family and would appreciate some suggestions on what to say to him when I phone him back. Plus how long should I give the staff freebies. There has been a couple of wee things that are giving me a bad vibe but beggars and all that!

Cheers

Is his family part of the staff? Do the staff's nails as offered just 1-2 days (or the time it takes to do it to the staff) and say to the owner that your feeling generous and that you decided to extend the promotion to family and friends at a special rate for 1 week. The main thing here is that YOU direct the conversation, promotion, etc...... . Thank the owner for his generosity in promoting your services and talent and return the favor by offering a lowered rate. By taking the lead and announcing your promotional prices, you are setting limits and you are calling the shots. You are avoiding misunderstandings and assumptions. The ball is in his court and it doesn't leave any space for interpretations. Your making an effective statement, and you present yourself with generous dispositions.

Hope this helps

Kat ;)

Hi Jackie,

do you and your family get free tanning sessions?

I don't think it is fair for him to expect you to do free services for every Tom, Dick and Harriett who he sees fit - you have expenses involved in doing these free sets. Might I suggest that they pay for their first full sets and then if they get you referrals based on their nails, that would be the time to reward them for their referrals.

How would you feel if you were doing all the staff and all his family, friends, etc. and you had to turn away bona fide full paying customers.

Whilst it is commendable that he is trying to help to promote your business it is not in his interest if you cannot pay his bills due to giving away freebies. Suggest you can take something off your rent to him in return for free sets of nails LOL.

Here is how it works for me...................
The owner of the Tanning Shop I rent space from, gets free nails, as she gives me free Tanning.........
But very rarely uses this offer...............
The staff pay half price and promote my business................
They only get time slots that are not in prime time.............i.e 3 o/clockish...........
hope this helps

Hi,

Thankyou all for the replies and yes it helps loads.

Cheers

jackie1 said:
Hi,

I am moving from the room I rent in a gym to a tanning studio. I have been happy in the gym with no issues, but it is in the wrong location.
I had said to the owner of the tanning studio I would put free sets on his staff to promote my nails. He has just phoned me to volunteer a couple of his family members for the same offer, he says he is trying to promote me.
I don't want to start giving out freebies to his family and would appreciate some suggestions on what to say to him when I phone him back. Plus how long should I give the staff freebies. There has been a couple of wee things that are giving me a bad vibe but beggars and all that!

Cheers

Hi Jackie...what a predicament :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I rent space in a hair & beauty salon and give the staff there half price nails and refills..same as ...to promote my nails.

A couple of things to consider....1) I'd give a time limit to how long this offer is available and same as Ruth said, make it clear from the word go that it is preferred that the times you do their nails are not prime time...or...if you get a full-paying client wanting to book in, that the staff take 2nd place to this and will have to be moved.

2) At first when the novelty is there and everyone is like'Oooh look at my lovely new nails'...after a while turns to 'And this one is broke....or...my nails are really ready for rebalancing!'.....it sticks in the throat that you are doing 'free' nails and not getting the positive promotion you initially hoped for :|

I've found myself in the predicament where I am still doing one of the hairdressers nails for half price...and she is on maternity leave!! :rolleyes: ...so learn by my mistake and set your boundaries.

And finally....if the staff want you to do their nails...it can sometimes be difficult to fit them in as they are working and cannot take time out of their day to have their nails done..and you end up staying after hours....and there are more of them than you...so means more late nights for you doing free nails! Just plan carefully.

On a more positive note, at least when you do the staff's nails and you give them lovely nails, they can see how the system works, how long their nails last etc and have more knowledge when talking to your potential clients.

All I'm saying is, I reckon your right to set your boundaries, hope my mistakes help a little. Not meant to sound negative, but I've found it does have it's pros and cons.

Jenny - Nails x x x x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back