Setting up a salon from scratch

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhunny

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

I'm in need of advice. I have only recently qualified in the beauty but have been doing massage for over a year. I love all aspects of it. I have 2 jobs at the mo, a full time one and a part time one behind a bar - which has turned into great advertising, they're letting me put up flyers, posters, price lists etc. I've met loads of business contacts that are interested in putting people my way as i'm also qualified in sports massage - so got some of the local sports clubs interested in sending their guys to me. I've been working from home and haven't done a huge amoutn of advertising as yet, some leaflet drops and handing out cards, lists and calling local businesses.

I've got a handful of regular clients, and some not so regular ones, but they'll come back, just not as often. I live too far out of town, and having guys come into my home - not a good idea! So, my point is, there's a lease come up on a shop. It's in a great location, and there are no sports massage therapists in town! There are a couple of beauty salons but they're either dodgy or on a completely different market target to me (the more exclusive prices, considering they're not in a good location in the town). I'm aiming at offering a service with a difference, and at prices people can afford - but i'm not cheap either. The lease is £7k a year, 2 years left on it. Rates are cheap as i can apply for small business relief (so they're just £106 a month). My mum is also a qualified therapist and beautician and has offered to work for a very reasonable offer - free! (she's in a situation where she can do that and has 2 businesses of her own that are running with someone else), and the shop woulod be big enough for 2 rooms and a nail bar at the front.

Am i pushing too soon? It's right on the high street, closer than the horrible NSS that's right down the other end of the high street, and is currently rammed with girls because they dont know where else to go! Any thoughts would be really, really, really appreciated.

Thank you!!!:green:

Hi,

I am just setting up my own spa too and like you have to take on a lease - I am not a qualified beauty therapist but have a fair bit of business knowledge. It sounds too me like all the factors are pointing towards you starting up on your own and the risk appears to be calculated so everything is in your favour

* Good location

* Competition not brilliant but yet they are still 'crammed with girls'

* Your mum is obviously a major asset

* Rent and rates seem reasonable

* You already have a client base almost waiting for you and chance to advertise more

I think the answer to your Q is staring you in the face. Good Luck!

Hi guys and girls,

I'm in need of advice. I have only recently qualified in the beauty but have been doing massage for over a year. I love all aspects of it. I have 2 jobs at the mo, a full time one and a part time one behind a bar - which has turned into great advertising, they're letting me put up flyers, posters, price lists etc. I've met loads of business contacts that are interested in putting people my way as i'm also qualified in sports massage - so got some of the local sports clubs interested in sending their guys to me. I've been working from home and haven't done a huge amoutn of advertising as yet, some leaflet drops and handing out cards, lists and calling local businesses.

I've got a handful of regular clients, and some not so regular ones, but they'll come back, just not as often. I live too far out of town, and having guys come into my home - not a good idea! So, my point is, there's a lease come up on a shop. It's in a great location, and there are no sports massage therapists in town! There are a couple of beauty salons but they're either dodgy or on a completely different market target to me (the more exclusive prices, considering they're not in a good location in the town). I'm aiming at offering a service with a difference, and at prices people can afford - but i'm not cheap either. The lease is £7k a year, 2 years left on it. Rates are cheap as i can apply for small business relief (so they're just £106 a month). My mum is also a qualified therapist and beautician and has offered to work for a very reasonable offer - free! (she's in a situation where she can do that and has 2 businesses of her own that are running with someone else), and the shop woulod be big enough for 2 rooms and a nail bar at the front.

Am i pushing too soon? It's right on the high street, closer than the horrible NSS that's right down the other end of the high street, and is currently rammed with girls because they dont know where else to go! Any thoughts would be really, really, really appreciated.

Thank you!!!:green:

One thing I forgot to say is that just make sure (as you are starting from scratch) that you have plenty of £ to buy equipment, product ranges etc - sorry might sound obvious but boy does this stuff add up

Hi

you mention the lease is £7k per year with rates on top. Is the £7k your rent? or the money you are having to buy the lease for? - these are two different and equally valid things.

Why would you think you were pushing too soon? You have been qualified for over a year, and you sound like you are quite confident about your idea and the services you will offer and you seem to already be getting clients.

Go for it would be my advice. You only live once.

xx

Latest posts

Back