Setting up in biz

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharon Green

Reaction score
Really hate my full time job in admin (I am a qualified Bio Sculpture tech and qualified in airbrushing). :( . How much will I need to set up a biz doing nails full time? Is there anywhere or anyone that I can get advice on doing this? All help greatly appreciated.

sharon :)

sharonjanegreen said:
Really hate my full time job in admin (I am a qualified Bio Sculpture tech and qualified in airbrushing). :( . How much will I need to set up a biz doing nails full time? Is there anywhere or anyone that I can get advice on doing this? All help greatly appreciated.

sharon :)

Hi Sharon

It would be very difficult to leave a full time job on Friday and set up doing nails full time on Monday - unless either you had the clients already or you went into a salon who already had a full diary.

How long ago did you do your Bio Sculpture training? Do you have lots of clients?

I "borrowed" (from savings) £2,500 to do my initial training and buy my "kit" . It took me a year and a half to show a profit due to more training and more spending LOL.

You would need to seriously work out if you can afford to do without your wage for a length of time until you built up your clientelle.

Sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear but there are a lot of people out there who very quickly get disheartened because they are not raking in thousands of pounds from doing nails after the first month.

I think nails is a calling not something you just do to rake in the dosh LOL

Hi Sharon

You can go and see an adviser at 'Business Link' free of charge. They will help you go through your options and give you advice on setting up your business, funding, etc. I think their website is www.businesslink.org I have just been in contact with them and have had some very good advice given me.

Hope this helps. :)

:D Thanks for the advice. I am not planning to just walk out of my current job, we simply could not afford for me to do that :( . I need help finding out how much it will cost me 6 - 12 months down the line so that I have something to aim for. I trained with Bio Sculpture in April and have got a handful of clients at the moment so I am going to advertise to drum up some business.

A hairdresser friend of mine thinks I should work at the salon she works at on my Saturdays off (every other) through the summer. How much should I be giving the owner of the salon per Saturday that I work there? It would be a good way of getting known, does anyone think it would not work, or have any ideas on another way of getting myself known? Any input on the subject would be gratefully received. :p

hi sharon........id definetely say go for it hun, especially working in the salon, ule have a ready made client base.........even if its just the odd few, word of mouth soon spreads.........im just setting up my own salon, im renting the whole upstairs of a hairdressers, im paying him £16 per day 6 days a week, all inclusive of electricity, rates water etc.......ile have my own phone line, own sign outside, shared advertising costs, in house promotion, ile have my hair done (hair extentions PINK, my hair is black and they look wicked) and the salon staff r going to wear nails and nail art etc...........
ive fell lucky with this one.......im also having 2 sunbeds, 1 vertical and 1 lay down........i do airbrushing, only just done a course but by time i open in 8 weeks ile be ok, its really for the french manicures and colour tones.......go for it hun, feel free to email me at [email protected], i only went back to nails this year, april same as u..........ive spent lots and lots, on courses, over a thousand (and the rest)..........but its all down to practice.......ive just started using trilite gel..........suppose to be fab, and i use creative liquid and powder (still having probs but im having a 1-2-1 on monday)....i had lots of help from business link, theyve helped me from day 1 get to where i am today.....if u dont go for it ule never know.........
i worked too, but i got so fed up i just decided 1 nite id had enough, that nite i left work and never returned.....mad decision and ive 3 kids, left us totally skint, but pushed me even harder to do the salon.....if i was still working i wouldnt of sorted it all out like i have done, maybe never!!! who knows........... ;)

Hiya, i was in a similar situation, in a full time job I hated (and 2 hours commuting every day). I trained in manicure, pedicure, nail art then bio-sculpture. I did evenings and weekends until I built up quite a few clients then went part time at work and built up my clients a bit more. (I was sooooo tired for a couple of months but its worth it !!). I gave up my office job completely 2 months ago and went for it. It's all going well, and I'm in a salon. I have busy weeks and quiet weeks, but I'm loads happier and have lots more time to spend with my little boy :D Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back