Setting up my own salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOUL SISTA

Reaction score
So,

I qualified as a nail technician some 8 years ago and had a little set up at home. I did this on the side as I still had a 9-5 job. A few years later i qualified as a beauty therapist and add some treatments to what I offered.

I have really been contemplating starting my own Salon and leaving my full time job.

I am really good at my job and I earn really good money but that is not where my heart is and as i am looking for another role at the moment, i just keep thinking about opening my own salon.

Does anyone have any pointers, advice on what kind of cost to consider and things to look out for?

Any advice would be appreciated.

My now business partner and I started our own hair and beauty business and have now been open since Jan 2015. It's the best thing we could of ever done! Go with your heart and everything else will work itself out! In terms of setting up, it is expensive for all the equipment and obviously depending on where you are looking at opening up rent, bills. As long as you have the financial backing it will all just spiral from there!

My now business partner and I started our own hair and beauty business and have now been open since Jan 2015. It's the best thing we could of ever done! Go with your heart and everything else will work itself out! In terms of setting up, it is expensive for all the equipment and obviously depending on where you are looking at opening up rent, bills. As long as you have the financial backing it will all just spiral from there!

Thank you so much for your message. How much (roughly) do you thin is a sensible amount to start with?

Thank you so much for your message. How much (roughly) do you thin is a sensible amount to start with?

Again, it depends on where you are. I would say between 15-20k xx

So,

I qualified as a nail technician some 8 years ago and had a little set up at home. I did this on the side as I still had a 9-5 job. A few years later i qualified as a beauty therapist and add some treatments to what I offered.

I have really been contemplating starting my own Salon and leaving my full time job.

I am really good at my job and I earn really good money but that is not where my heart is and as i am looking for another role at the moment, i just keep thinking about opening my own salon.

Does anyone have any pointers, advice on what kind of cost to consider and things to look out for?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi
can I ask you a question please?
I am looking to set up from home and I also have a part time job, can I ask how did you go about home insurance and paying tax on what you earned from home? I'm finding all the conflicting information on the internet very confusing!
thanks
:)

Hi as far as home insurance goes you need to tell them that you are working from home, the reason being that there will be more people coming into your home. I assume you will have a dedicated room to carry out your treatments, all I can say is that your insurer must know, some will be fine some not. We don't deal with home insurance but you will need cover for the treatments you carry out so if you are interested you could call us on 0344 892 1602 or look at our website www.towergatehealthandbeauty.co.uk

To both of you good luck

Hi Soul Sista

Whether you're thinking of opening up a high street salon or perhaps working from your own home you will need to make sure you are adequately insured. We offer policies for salons and self-employed mobile therapists/working from home so please feel free to give us a call on 08456 058 670 and one of our team will be happy to discuss this with you. Alternatively, you should be able to find any information you need via our website www.professionalbeautydirect.co.uk

I worked from home for 5 years and struggled to find an insurance company to insurance me, the beauty insurance was fine it was the house insurance for building and contents.

To the op I worked from home for 5 years and 18 months ago I rented a salon, I had build my client base and over the 5 years invested in stock, equipment and training. This had all helped with the salon, especially my client base. If your going to open a salon with no client base then you need to expect it will take time and long hours.

Good luck I love working for myself xx

Latest posts

Back