Setting up on my own-Advice please :-)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballyboo

Reaction score
Hi everyone, it's my first time on here so be nice! lol

I am considering going mobile as i have a quite big client base, but i'm not familiar with how this works. I have tried looking on the net at setting up your own business but i can't seem to find any relevant info.

Would I need a business plan/lots of cash to set up??

See i'm useless lol

Also, my prices at my current salon are very high for this part of the country and i'm not sure how to structure my pricelist. I do a few clients at home already and they don't seem to think of paying me as much as what they paty at the salon, usually i get a cuppa and a tenna! Obviously i couldn't make a living drinking coffee and receiving £10 per client so i need some tips on being strict about my prices as i can be a bit of a pushover :)

Does anyone who works for themselves have a set number of hours/days they work???

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Ballyboo xxxxxxx

Hi hun
Welcome to the site
Check out the Business Link website. Covers pretty much everything you need to know about setting up a business legally. The site is for business in general so there is other stuff you'll need to look at like insurance etc that isn't covered on there. I got a good book from the library for my NVQ because I need to cover that stuff in my coursework. It's one of the official beauty NVQ books but can't remember the exact title.
Hope that helps

Thanks i will check that site out now!! Cheers :)

try checking out the fhbf - its £50 a year ,but you get mags and advice and there aree business courses especially for freelancers .-thing is though ,it is lonely and even though you get lovely people you do get some nutters , if your in a salon you can ask them to leave ,in their house you cant . lots of nice people -a few nutters .

Lol i have come across some nutters in my time! If my current client base followes me i probably wont be able to fit in any new clients anyway, but i would prefer word of mouth anyway, i wouldn't go into a strangers home you can come across allsorts!! I once got talking to a lady in a club after a few too many vodka's and she said i had lovely hair etc and me being a big gob offered to go to her house and do her hair the next weekend. Well...it was the dirtiest, smelliest most discusting home i have ever been to. I was gipping all the time lol She was lovely but she was a scruffy lol

I don't know much about setting up mobile but i do know you need a set price list for everyone, you will not make any money otherwise. dont sell yourself short, im sure your clients will realise its worth stilll paying as much, or as near as, the price they still pay now
x

iv recently been to see a advisor in my area they set up a list eg
driving lessons second hand car quotes collect places of intrest eg carehomes clients bank accounts business advertising costs products and equipment needed once i have this info im to back with the details if your on benefit the jobcentre should help oh and pricelists of treatments go to your local jobcentre see wot they say yee:hug: /B]

deffo research the local mobile prices and take into account your costs, time, so that you make a profit, get some price lists printed or do it yourself, then deffo stik to it....
im pretty sure that scummy, dirty houses will be in the minority (fingers crossed)
good luk xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the info everyone!! xx

Latest posts

Back