Setting up time/clearing away time, paid or unpaid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahahahaha BLue! I meant reputation! You dirty minded boy ;)

Although dishy reps are a nice perk! Clever companies would have more better looking male reps! I'd certainly buy more!
;)

I have considered being a rep myself...... ;) big headed much? Hehe x

Fag breaks they have when meant to be mixing a toner!! Or filling shampoo's up! Tidy staff room lol the list goes on!! X

lol.. i was always nippin out for a fag when training, but never moaned once about no lunch hour or break, late finishes or early clients give and take,

Thanks everyone for your advice, very different opinions. I don't think I am going to be comfortable with not paying for setup /clear away time and it is all part of the job I guess so should be paid.
Just wanted to se how everyone else felt about it !

I'm a salon owner and my team is pretty laid back and everyone works in a nice environment, and I ask that they are at least 15 mins early for work, one girl comes in nearly an hour early as she drops her kids off round the corner before school, another is always 30 mins early as she gets a lift from her boyfriend before he starts work and my other girl is always early, give or take one or two times she was running late....in my opinion, they get paid well, those are the requirements of the job, if we finish early I let them go early, and not only that.....the amount of waxing, shellac, Minx, tinting, etc etc etc that they enjoy from my salon, free of charge, I think 10 mins clearing up at the end of the day isn't so bad?! I would raise that little subject if any of them were to comment on not wanting to come in early to prepare for the day ahead or stay behind to help clear up and maybe they would understand that running a business in the beauty industry means timing and preparation can sometimes go over the normal working hours!

Fag breaks they have when meant to be mixing a toner!! Or filling shampoo's up! Tidy staff room lol the list goes on!! X

lol when i was a junior i set myself on fire doing that lol
I was were a woolly jumper which must have had hair spray on it went to make a coffee for client & have a fly fag had jumper went up in a blue light was shouting HELP & boss had to come in and pull my jumper off WELL CAUGHT LOL

In the salon I worked for years ago we used to close at 5.30 or 8.00 on a Thursday. There was always at least 2 of us and we would book the last client in to be finished bout 15 mins before we closed so that we could prep everything for the next day. That way we didn't have to come in 20 mins earlier in the morn or stay after closing to prep the salon. We were always early anyway as it was our time to chat n chill before the first client was there. Also, we enjoyed our perks in the earlier part of the week when it was quieter so it didn't interfere with the busy times. I loved that salon!! By far the most easy going and chilled place Ive ever worked! X

Sent from my RACERII using SalonGeek

I've always been expected to be a work 10 mins before I start and I ask that of my girls it give time to get in have a natter, straighten hair etc and if they have taken their tools home put them back ready for their first client.

wow I really feel sorry for some of your staff!! Like someone else pointed out, putting your coat and bag away is not part of the job, therefore should not be paid for. Setting up your treatment area IS part of the job and therefore should be paid for. You know it makes me laugh when you hear employers complaining because their staff have left them in the lurch by not shoing up/leaving unexpectedly, but to be honest if this is how staff are being treated and being expected to provide unpaid work on a daily basis then I think its inevitable that this is going to happen sooner or later.

wow I really feel sorry for some of your staff!! Like someone else pointed out, putting your coat and bag away is not part of the job, therefore should not be paid for. Setting up your treatment area IS part of the job and therefore should be paid for. You know it makes me laugh when you hear employers complaining because their staff have left them in the lurch by not shoing up/leaving unexpectedly, but to be honest if this is how staff are being treated and being expected to provide unpaid work on a daily basis then I think its inevitable that this is going to happen sooner or later.

And like someone else pointed out what about all the time they spend having treatments done, get to leave early if finished, all the perks of the job? There has to be some give and take, even the job centre which is a government run business ask there staff to be there 15-20mins early which they don't get paid for!! And the staff are normally lifers because of the perks!!

Setting up doesn't really take very long as well as you're organised the evening before but it's the end of day that can take up the time, especially when you have to Hoover throughout the salon, sweep treatment rooms, clean wax spills and mop wooden floors,cash up,empty bins and wash up etc, this has to be done everyday and much as you like to keep on top of things throughout the day,when you're really busy you can't do most of the jobs.

Wax pots are always on timers so there's no need to come in extra early to turn those on. Usually 15 minutes is more than enough and I personally like to be there at least 15 mins early.

However I have to say that the way it worked out for us was if we had a quiet day and no clients near the end of the day we would go home early,paid. This I think is a very good way of dealing with it. Explain to your staff that they don't get paid extra for setting up or coming in 15 mins early however it all pans out during the quieter times. I'm talking realistic early here, not a couple of hrs. It all adds up and makes everyone feel appreciated and non resentful.

What gets up my nose is when you get the greedy owner who expects you to come in half and hour early, finish half an hour late,due to cleaning the salon, and never lets you go early, even standing there making you wait for that minute hand on the clock to hit the time you are supposed to finish.that's when people start getting a little peeved.

All that's needed is good old give and take, then everyone should be happy and nobody need be out of pocket. Sorted:)

Last edited:
I dont set any rules but i think i might get something written down, im looking for a level 3 therapist so may need it set a bit clearer.

I only have 1 memebr of staff at the minute, she arrives early and if her first client is waiting she starts early, she works late, she helps me out all the time. She gets any treatments she wants for free and I let her wax her mum using my products, she buys products at cost price. Today shes working from 9.30 until 8pm (has 1.5 hours off at 12) and i obviously will pay her, and as a thankyou were having chinese, on me. We will eat it picnic style in our waiting area.

There is never any mention of payment for working late or starting early - it al goes hand in hand ith erks. i dont schedule any appointmnets for the first and last 15 minutes of the day, but im going to change that as we dont open until 9.30 and we get asked for earlier appointments. But to couteract this i will schedule an extra 15 mins either side of the day for cleaning, setting up/clearing up.

From what i can read online though it states you should be national miniumum wage if you are doing anything work related e.g set up tidy up driving if off to a meeting etc and thats the law x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I do actually think that to and if you have children you would have to pay extra childcare for example to be there early to set up for clients unpaid. But like i said on direct gov it states you should be paid nw by law if you are doing any thing work related

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Lea2721, I agree, anything work related should be paid national minimum wage.

There is a huge difference between having a bit of occasional give and take, perks of the job etc, and expecting a necessary daily task to be unpaid. Of course there are times when we leave work early if we are quiet, but this is balanced out by the fact that there are also times when we work late because we dont go home until the last client has been attended to. Set up time is just as important as the service itself, its a task that is necessary every single day, not just occasionally, and its not an unexpected occurence, we know in advance that its needed.

It hardly surprises me that the job centre expect unpaid time from their employees either. I worked in public sector for many years and to say that they hardly lead by example is an understatement. Like I mentioned before, just because someone else uses certain practices doesnt make them right.

Well if staff are getting paid for an extra 30 mins a day 15 mins at start and end of day to do a bit of necessary preparation then I'm gonna pay myself for every minute I work outside of the salon! Book work, trips to wholesales, meetings, training, conventions! The lot!!

I'd soon rack up over 90 hours a week! And be taking more than I'd be making!!

I have been writing down everything I do for me salon and last week worked 85 hours! At minimum wage that'd be over £500, at the minute i don't take anything, but will be soon (but unfortunately not £500 a week) x

I have been writing down everything I do for me salon and last week worked 85 hours! At minimum wage that'd be over £500, at the minute i don't take anything, but will be soon (but unfortunately not £500 a week) x

Maybe not, but presumably you don't decide to set up your own salon and anticipate a profit equivalent to earning NMW. If so, that probably wouldn't be a great business decision...:D

To those few employers that are still requiring staff to start work earlier and finish later than their 'contracted hours' without payment, quite simply, it is illegal.

Page 48 of this week's Hairdressers Journal International has a helpful article explaining the rules.

No one wants to do anything illegal by asking that employees turn up before their clients and not have their workstation ready, which would then mean wasting 5-10 mins if their clients appointment getting the correct products and equipment or towels or disposables ready.....which then means their clients treatment time is cut short, which could lead to unhappy clients, which also means your therapist is late for their next client and then the next client and 9 times out of 10 the main reason we are staying late in my salon is because my therapists are slow at setting or clearing up their own work stations at the end of the day........and then are expected to get paid for that??!!!! I don't think so!!!
Employees don't mind how much time it takes getting their own freebies done either!!! Funny that isn't it?!

Sorry pressed send before I finished.......what I wanted to add to my post was that, if I have a client that has an hour treatment, they have an hour treatment and I still have time in between to get them a drink, ask how their week has been etc etc and they leave happy, which means they return and my girls have continuous work and repeat clients, so I can give them extra hours when they want them, because we have the work available!!
But if I have to cut people's hours supposedly because or various reasons, employees would ask why? And they wouldn't like it.......so really.......is it so much to ask that a professional approach to coming to work early and waiting until the last client has left the salon before we start finishing up at the end of the day, is that so bad??

I'm mobile and work in a nursing home once a week doing nails. My hours are 10am until 12 noon. I get there 10 mins early to set up and finish with my last lady at 12. I don't expect to be paid for my setting up and packing away time, just the time I spend with clients. I'm contract so the home pays me out of their entertainment fund.

Latest posts

Back