Setting up time/clearing away time, paid or unpaid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I'm gonna butt out of this thread now. Arguing online about whether I should pay for my staff to put their coat away is really getting beyond laughable.
Has salon geek been infiltrated by left wing trade union agitators?

Go into your salons and ask your bosses to pay for you to get in at 5 to nine rather than 9 as someone online said you should! Hopefully the people on here shouting "it's the law" will put their money where their mouth is and give you a job!

I know I am a good employer, and I'm really not prepared to be slagged off on a forum for wannabes

Nobody is saying you pay them to put there coats away.. So if thats the case they could turn up at 8.55 it only takes 5 mins to take a coat off and hang up all they are stating is if you expect your employee to turn up at 8.45 am to set up etc that is work and by law should be payed nmw and im not being greedy or being silly or expecting pay for nothing im just stating a fact on employment law :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

If its such a massive deal,then keep the salon clean and tidy throughout the day,then spend a couple minutes setting up after your last client for the next day!
If people keep on top of things throughout the day you'll prob be spending am extra 15minutes in the salon in total....surely you can't moan and expect to be paid for that?
If so maybe your not quite as passionate about your job as you should be?
Don't mean to sound harsh but It's not like its am extra hour and beginning and end of a day,its minutes and I'm sure these are made up for in free treatments and early finishes.
It's give and take!

Kayleigh x

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

No i wouldnt moan nobody is saying they would moan. All they are saying and i am saying is its law as it is work thats a fact now as an employee its up to you if you choose to listen to employment law or ignore it now thats a diffrent matter,

Meowwwwww!

I've worked in 2 salons in my hair career.... And I always got to work 10 mins before my shift, I just thought it was common courtesy and good work ethic!

Nice quick cuppa and catch up with the girls before my first client.
Never would have complained about not being paid for it.

Imagine what your first client would say if you were all flustered not set up ready to go?

x x

I would happily pay £1.55 for my staff to be in, coats off, tea drunk, and ready to commence setting up at 8.45 for their first client at 9.
However they would fly in the door at 8.45, stick the kettle on, have a fag, one of them would stick the waxpots on while a junior was sent out to get breakfasts. I aint paying for that. Reality is always somewhat different to the theory.
Our rule is if you start clients at 9, you are in and ready to start by 9. If you wanna drink tea etc, get in earlier. We don't keep clients waiting.
Quite honestly, I wouldnt employ anyone who begrudged 15 minutes of time. My staff get free hair and beauty, they leave early when there are no clients, they get products at cost, free legal helplines, free training, paid far more than min wage, a cracking comission system,taken out twice a year, marketing backup, and an extremely well equipped salon. They aint treated bad.
If one of them said they wanted 5 mions extra pay to be in at 5 to 9 rather than 9, I would not employ such a person.

Totally agree with this, you give a little and your staff give a little so it all pans out. This is how it should be, I've never ever been paid for coming in early or finishing late and I wouldn't expect to be because of the fact that there was/ is give and take.

Sadly though not all salon owners are like this. Some charge the same prices for treatments(no freebies or reduced rate treatments), never let you go home a little bit early even though you could've worked well over your paid time for weeks on end, and even add percentages on top of products bought,which leaves a bad taste in staffs mouths, especially when they've busted a gut for their employer. End result is unhappy staff who mank and moan about being paid 15 mins extra or whatever it is.

I've never worked in a salon where there has been a junior to do all the cleaning and have worked many,many times on my own so sometimes I've even not got out for approx 45 mins after my finish time, there's no way the salon could be cleaned in 5 mins even with the 2 of us working flat out.

But I accept all of this because I get perks. Ok they may not equate to all the extra time I've worked but for me I would rather accept this than cause bad feeling in asking for extra. I want a good working environment.

I don't need to be in 15 mins early, I choose to go in 15 mins early, it probably takes me 5 mins to open up the salon,set up for a facial or whatever and I do tend to set up the evening before so I can have my nice relaxed cuppa in the morning when I get into work.

My opinion is that it really boils down to your work ethic. Sometimes it is nice to see an individual, (in whatever profession they choose), to show some initiative and common sense. Arriving early and going a little late on some days can lead to rewards in the long term.

I once worked for a huge rail company, it moved from London to Kent. I joined them in Kent, the chaos was immense. Every department was bogged down with work and they hadn't planned the move well.

I was given a job on the trade side, tickets were going missing left, right and centre. I used to be on the doorstep at 7.30 am. I didn't need to be there until 9 am. At the end of each week I also stayed until well past my shift time to get tickets out so that people could travel far and wide. I was never asked to do this but felt responsible for the job I was given. Some employees said I was mad, I probably was but at the end of it all I got promoted to Manager. The management money more than made up for extra hours I worked.

Sorry for the babble but what I'm trying to say is it can swing in your favour.

We recently employed 2 new members, one came through the door at dead on 10, sometimes a couple of minutes late, impressed, no. Other member was always 20 minutes early, sometimes before we even opened the door. Guess who would have been given more responsibility and a pay rise?

It's swings and roundabouts, take a little and give a little back

Well as I started this thread and it seems to have gotten quite heated !
I have just had a conversation about this with my new therapist (1st one I have employed) and I have said to her that I would expect in at least 10 mins before her 1st appointment just so she knows she is prepared and ready before her client, but I will pay her from 9am if she gets in 8.45/8.50. But she will be paid until she leaves, if we are quiet she can go at 1/4 too whatever and still be paid, if she hoovers through and cleans thoroughly etc this time will be paid if she hasn't had to time to do things through the day.
I have just sent her home with a whole load of Decleor testers to try out and even a few professional products to practice on her mum.
I want to look after my staff and keep them hopefully.
As someone else said I think it's all give and take. :p

Meowwwwww!

I've worked in 2 salons in my hair career.... And I always got to work 10 mins before my shift, I just thought it was common courtesy and good work ethic!

Nice quick cuppa and catch up with the girls before my first client.
Never would have complained about not being paid for it.

Imagine what your first client would say if you were all flustered not set up ready to go?

x x

Know i agree with that its common sense to turn up in plenty of time to relax and feel sorted but what i think is wrong is saying is right your contracted hours are 9 - 6 e.g and then they say you need to be here half an hour before to work,
But if i was happy in a salon i wouldnt moan although the law is still saying you need to be paid if that is the case.
Xx

Well as I started this thread and it seems to have gotten quite heated !
I have just had a conversation about this with my new therapist (1st one I have employed) and I have said to her that I would expect in at least 10 mins before her 1st appointment just so she knows she is prepared and ready before her client, but I will pay her from 9am if she gets in 8.45/8.50. But she will be paid until she leaves, if we are quiet she can go at 1/4 too whatever and still be paid, if she hoovers through and cleans thoroughly etc this time will be paid if she hasn't had to time to do things through the day.
I have just sent her home with a whole load of Decleor testers to try out and even a few professional products to practice on her mum.
I want to look after my staff and keep them hopefully.
As someone else said I think it's all give and take. :p

I agree also very fair xx

Latest posts

Back