Setting up time/clearing away time, paid or unpaid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to work at newlook and they told us that you have to be ready to work on the shop floor at the start of your shift! And they quite happily told us that we had to get there at least 15mins before to put our bags away etc!! Yehh it was quite annoying!!

But as said above if theres no one book in and all the jobs are done let them go early!! Its all about give and take! They get to work a few mins early and then every now and then they can go early!!

You want to treat your staff fairly so they say around but you dont want them to take the pee!!

Maybe give them an option... You pay them an extra 20mins a day (10 in the morning and 10 at the end of the day) but if they finish early you knock it off there wages!
Or
They can come to work a bit earlier and they maybe leave early if there no one in!

I no what id pick!! And im the sort of person that would rather be 1 hour early them 1 min late! I hate it if there has been bad traffic and i walk through the door 5mins before my first appoinment and my client is sat there!!! Most people arrive to work early anyway!!

Sent from my HTC Vision using SalonGeek

I used to work at newlook and they told us that you have to be ready to work on the shop floor at the start of your shift! And they quite happily told us that we had to get there at least 15mins before to put our bags away etc!! Yehh it was quite annoying!!

But as said above if theres no one book in and all the jobs are done let them go early!! Its all about give and take! They get to work a few mins early and then every now and then they can go early!!

You want to treat your staff fairly so they say around but you dont want them to take the pee!!

Maybe give them an option... You pay them an extra 20mins a day (10 in the morning and 10 at the end of the day) but if they finish early you knock it off there wages!
Or
They can come to work a bit earlier and they maybe leave early if there no one in!

I no what id pick!! And im the sort of person that would rather be 1 hour early them 1 min late! I hate it if there has been bad traffic and i walk through the door 5mins before my first appoinment and my client is sat there!!! Most people arrive to work early anyway!!

Sent from my HTC Vision using SalonGeek

Yes i agree but i worked in boots yes you got there early to put coats away eyc but to set your work up i have always been paid xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I don't have my own salon (yet lol) but if I did I would want the staff in about 15 mins before the salon opens as like Amelia R I really dislike customers being in before the staff.

From an employees point of view when I worked in a shop my employer wanted us to come in a bit earlier and stay a bit after the shop had shut to cash up,etc and it really annoyed me as he was only paying me from the shop opened until it closed. I wouldn't have minded occasionally doing this but I worked their for over 7 years and this was every shift so it soon mounted up.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Whatever job you are doing you need to be in and ready to start working at the prescribed time.

And that time should not be paid for.

As someone said earlier when working in New Look she had to be in 15 minutes prior to the start time. This allows the staff member to put her coat away sort herself out and be composed before she starts dealing with customers.

How would it look if a staff member whirled through the door every day with one minute to opening taking her coat off as she came through the door?

We should all be professional enough about our jobs to want to get settled in and ready so we can start our work at the paid for time.

You can't do your job whether it is in beauty or in a bakers if you don't clean up after yourselves at the end of the night and get things ready for yourselves before you start.

Should the boss come in early and get all your things ready?

Should she stay at the end of the night and clean up after you?

I would be quite cautious if a prospective employee asked me at the interview if she would be getting paid to clean up after herself at the end of her day and if it was ok if she arrived for her paid for start time one minute before-hand.

But a prospective employee probably wouldn't ask those two questions at an interview because they know how they would be perceived if they did.

If workers are clean and methodical as they go through their day there is not much cleaning and setting up to do anyway.

This is my opinion and no one else has to agree with it :cool:

Personally I think that just because its generally accepted across the industry that set up time is unpaid, this doesnt make it right and as an employer I would want to look at the bigger picture i.e making sure I keep staff happy so they want to stay employed by me.

I always like to draw comparisons with other industries because I think it nicely highlights some very unfair areas in the beauty industry. A chef for example is paid to go in and prepare food during the day before he/she starts service during the evening. The chef cannot possibly work an evening service without having prepared during the day, so why should this prep work be any less valuable, and why would anyone expect this to be unpaid?

But the chef is expected to be in his whites, ready to start work at 9am, not walking through the door at 9am. This really isn't just the beauty industry, its pretty much all employment.

I've worked in pubs and restaurants and in every one, we had to be on the floor at least 10 minutes prior to our shift unpaid. If we were on the floor dead on the hour when we were due to start then we were classed as late xxxx

I would like to say my opinion on this, as for me it is a very sensitive topic. In my opinion you should get to work at least 15 minutes prior your start time.
You can't just walk in at let's say 9 and get on with the client straight away - you still have to put your coat, bag away and get changed. That would take at least 5 minutes so you would basically start work late. So I wouldn't expect to be paid for that.

However, I really don't agree with not being paid for cleaning up at the end of the day. In my old job, we were expected to do a really good clean at the end of the day -would take us 30minutes and all that for free!! In a full-time job that would be 2 and a half hours of work unpaid!
Cleaning is part of the job so we should be paid. If we are only paid till let's say 7pm we should be able to leave then.

Last edited:
Whatever job you are doing you need to be in and ready to start working at the prescribed time.

And that time should not be paid for.

As someone said earlier when working in New Look she had to be in 15 minutes prior to the start time. This allows the staff member to put her coat away sort herself out and be composed before she starts dealing with customers.

How would it look if a staff member whirled through the door every day with one minute to opening taking her coat off as she came through the door?

We should all be professional enough about our jobs to want to get settled in and ready so we can start our work at the paid for time.

You can't do your job whether it is in beauty or in a bakers if you don't clean up after yourselves at the end of the night and get things ready for yourselves before you start.

Should the boss come in early and get all your things ready?

Should she stay at the end of the night and clean up after you?

I would be quite cautious if a prospective employee asked me at the interview if she would be getting paid to clean up after herself at the end of her day and if it was ok if she arrived for her paid for start time one minute before-hand.

But a prospective employee probably wouldn't ask those two questions at an interview because they know how they would be perceived if they did.

If workers are clean and methodical as they go through their day there is not much cleaning and setting up to do anyway.

This is my opinion and no one else has to agree with it :cool:

My thoughts exactly.

If you want her in at least 15mins before then I think you should pay her otherwise I think it would be reasonable to expect her to be in at least 5 minutes before she is due to start clients. As would be the case in other jobs.

Realistically it doesn't take longer than 5 minutes to get your coat off, switch the light on in the treatment room and be ready at reception waiting for your client. Unless the therapist needs to rearrange the salon to set up for a treatment then I don't see why they should be in 15minutes early.

If however you want them in to switch wax pots on, check answer machine, call clients then yes I would expect them in early and to be paid for it.

When I worked in a spa we had a rota system so that there was always someone in at 8.30 to open up and get everything ready then all the other girls would be in from 9am onwards depending on their shift. At the end of the day it was expected after the final client the therapist would ensure the room was ready for the next day (shouldn't take more than a few minutes) then usually two girls would be finishing 30mins later so that any hoovering, cashing up could be done.

So If I was in first thing I would work 8.30 - 4.30pm with a 30 min lunch break and someone cleaning up at the end of the day would work 10.30 - 6.30

If its the wax heater thats the problem you could always get a timer so that it switches on in the morning.

Put it like this, if you jump in a taxi does he charge you for the 15 mins before you got in the taxi? No! So my staff would not get paid for being in work 15 mins early!

Most salons I've worked at said they were happy for us to be in early, ( 1 hour) we wouldn't get paid but we were allowed to use salons products etc to do our hair everyday!! And enjoy a coffee and biscuit...out the luxury coffee machine ;) that's perks!

Defo can't argue with that! X

Put it like this, if you jump in a taxi does he charge you for the 15 mins before you got in the taxi? No! So my staff would not get paid for being in work 15 mins early!

Most salons I've worked at said they were happy for us to be in early, ( 1 hour) we wouldn't get paid but we were allowed to use salons products etc to do our hair everyday!! And enjoy a coffee and biscuit...out the luxury coffee machine ;) that's perks!

Defo can't argue with that! X

Completely agree! If you start work at 9 you should be ready on the floor to 'work' at 9! Not have your cuppa chat about your night out! This should be on your own time! I hate when clients are waiting for staff! Plain rude! All jobs are the same! If staff want paying for this then I'd want to dock them any time they're sitting down Chatting or drinking tea!!

I think this has gone off track the op was talking about set up time not the time it takes you to put your coat away. I think if you are doing anything related to doing your job you should be paid. E.g setting up for a treatment like wax pots on. Why should a staff member come in inpaid to wait for wax to heat up.

At my last salon that was quite large each therapist took turns to come in early and turn on everyones wax pots turn on, lights, pc radio set up for each persons first treatments. So only one girl a day got paid the extra half hour. And the last treatment would stop 15 mins before the end of the day to cash up change beds and so on.

you were expected to have had breakfast and taken your coat off and done your make up before your start time. So was in work but not working if you see what i mean.
Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

Completely agree! If you start work at 9 you should be ready on the floor to 'work' at 9! Not have your cuppa chat about your night out! This should be on your own time! I hate when clients are waiting for staff! Plain rude! All jobs are the same! If staff want paying for this then I'd want to dock them any time they're sitting down Chatting or drinking tea!!

Fag breaks they have when meant to be mixing a toner!! Or filling shampoo's up! Tidy staff room lol the list goes on!! X

Fag breaks they have when meant to be mixing a toner!! Or filling shampoo's up! Tidy staff room lol the list goes on!! X

I know we have gotten slightly off topic, but I was just responding to the flow of conversation in the thread!
IMO staff generally only complain about what they don't get! They forget all the perks they do get and the things you do for them that you aren't required to do!
It's all about team work and fostering the best possible rep for your salon to benefit one and all! ;)

I know we have gotten slightly off topic, but I was just responding to the flow of conversation in the thread!
IMO staff generally only complain about what they don't get! They forget all the perks they do get and the things you do for them that you aren't required to do!
It's all about team work and fostering the best possible rep for your salon to benefit one and all! ;)

Ahmed to that!! I need to find myself a rep that I can flirt with!! Then I'll get some freebies ;) actually I need a damn good looking rep again...lost a right fitty ;) x

Ahmed to that!! I need to find myself a rep that I can flirt with!! Then I'll get some freebies ;) actually I need a damn good looking rep again...lost a right fitty ;) x

Ahahahaha BLue! I meant reputation! You dirty minded boy ;)

Although dishy reps are a nice perk! Clever companies would have more better looking male reps! I'd certainly buy more!
;)

Not everyone smokes, in beauty this is more rare. But yes if the staff sit about drinking tea between clients they cant moan about coming in early.

Not everyone smokes, in beauty this is more rare. But yes if the staff sit about drinking tea between clients they cant moan about coming in early.

I agree! It's about being grown up, professional and give and take! At the end of the day you're part of a team and it's only as a team that you achieve the best! ;)

Also i think their is more tidying to do at the end of the day in beauty as their are not usually juniors to tidy up after everyone. X sort towles and was cups and stuff. X

Latest posts

Back