Severe allergy to bleach

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurenwarhurst

Reaction score
hi everyone, first time posting in this forum as I need some help! I’ve bleached my hair on and off for a good 5 years now as I believe I look best blonde. However this changed as I went to a new hairdressers a few months ago to get my roots done. About 20 minutes in I became sweltering hot, and the pain from the bleach was so high that I had to have it washed off instantly. After that I got intense abdominal pains and passed out for a few seconds, before projectile vomiting and being sent home. At the time I believed it must have been a bug so I didn’t really think anything of it as I soon felt better after. However fast forward another couple months and I treat myself to the schwarzkoph blonde me bleach, as I wanted to try out something better than the standard box bleached you get in a drugshop. Within 15 minutes of having the bleach on my roots I go through the same effects, if not worse. My whole body goes bright red, I can’t breathe, I’m untrollably shaking, can’t stop throwing up and have terrifying heart palpitations (literally thought I was in for a heart attack as even sitting completely still my heart would be racing more and more by the second)

After this I end up going straight to A&E who informed me the bleach gave me an anaphylactic shock. The nurse told me if it wasn’t for my mum giving me an antihistamine when the reaction started I would have been in intensive care.

Now I know I can’t keep the white blonde hair I currently have but I’d still like my hair to be slightly lighter than my natural colour (mousse brown) but I’m terrified to use any sort of bleach on my roots now because I’m convinced I’ll get that same reaction again. So I was wondering if there’s any bleach free alternatives to getting hair slightly lighter, maybe a coppery colour?
Any help would be appreciated Thankyou!

Last edited:
hi everyone, first time posting in this forum as I need some help! I’ve bleached my hair on and off for a good 5 years now as I believe I look best blonde. However this changed as I went to a new hairdressers a few months ago to get my roots done. About 20 minutes in I became sweltering hot, and the pain from the bleach was so high that I had to have it washed off instantly. After that I got intense abdominal pains and passed out for a few seconds, before projectile vomiting and being sent home. At the time I believed it must have been a bug so I didn’t really think anything of it as I soon felt better after. However fast forward another couple months and I treat myself to the schwarzkoph blonde me bleach, as I wanted to try out something better than the standard box bleached you get in a drugshop. Within 15 minutes of having the bleach on my roots I go through the same effects, if not worse. My whole body goes bright red, I can’t breathe, I’m untrollably shaking, can’t stop throwing up and have terrifying heart palpitations (literally thought I was in for a heart attack as even sitting completely still my heart would be racing more and more by the second)

After this I end up going straight to A&E who informed me the bleach gave me an anaphylactic shock. The nurse told me if it wasn’t for my mum giving me an antihistamine when the reaction started I would have been in intensive care.

Now I know I can’t keep the white blonde hair I currently have but I’d still like my hair to be slightly lighter than my natural colour (mousse brown) but I’m terrified to use any sort of bleach on my roots now because I’m convinced I’ll get that same reaction again. So I was wondering if there’s any bleach free alternatives to getting hair slightly lighter, maybe a coppery colour?
Any help would be appreciated Thankyou!

Are you a hair professional please?

The bleach product is mixed with developer before being applied to your scalp so it could be any single one of the ingredients in the two separate products that caused your severe reaction. The only way to be certain of the cause is to be medically tested.

Also, reactions tend to worsen on subsequent exposures to the allergen so next time, despite taking an antihistamine tablet, it could be fatal. Please don’t take casual risks with your health.
Just accept your hair as it is and maybe use coloured extensions if you want to add highlights.

Latest posts

Back