Severe Onycholysis in feet?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sax'd_out

Reaction score
Hi all,

Was chatting to my father in law last night and one thing led to another and he showed me his feet! (as you do lol)

Anyway.... he had what appeared to me to be v severe Onycholysis in almost all of his toes, there was no yellow/green staining etc just v thick, flaky nails (little toes and nails next door were almost completely lifted from the nail bed, big toe on r foot was lifting from the sides).

He was asking my advice so what should I tell him to do?
I gave him some solar oil and told him to apply 2x a day, he asked whether he should cut the lifted areas off (as they keep catching on socks/trousers etc) I have done some googling and some sites do recommend removing the unattached area but thought before I say anything to him would see what you very knowledgeable geeks would do!?!?

I have also read that there could be a fungal infection but as there is no colour to the nail area didn't think there was?

Am fairly sure he won't go to the doc for something such as a toenail oh and should probably add that he is a builder, says his feet have been like this for years, and probably caused by dropping things such as RSJ's on his feet (he broke toes etc years ago!)

Thanks in advance! :D

Hi there, i had a similar situation with my mum, and after much research, bought her a fungal treatment (brush on liquid), which she's to use twice daily, i did suggest she go to doctor or a chiropidist, as i'm not trained to diagnose specifics, but she wasn't comfortable with that, so at the moment she's using the liquid.
Hope this helps!

Angel.

thanks that's great! - can I ask how long has she been using it and has it worked at all?

She's not long started using it, i think it takes a few weeks to show signs of recovery though, fingers crossed!:D

I doubt a brush on fungal treatment would work to be honest.

His Onycholysis may be caused because of psoriasis of the nail, or may be from medication he may be on. (just giving a few examples, but there could be a number of reasons)

I really would advise him to go see a doctor as he won't be able to treat it himself, as he may not even have a fungal infection in the first place.

The only one that can tell him that is a doctor or derm by taking a sample of the nail.

Latest posts

Back