Severe reaction to lash glue!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquarius97

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to lash extensions and had no problems up until a few weeks ago when I went to get my own lashes done and after 24 hours my eyes swelled up slightly was red and itchy so I soaked them off myself then they went down. About a week later I done a set of lashes then later in the night my chest completely closed up I couldn't breathe and was wheezing bad like never before and thought I was having an asthma attack even though I don't have asthma. My lungs and chest was burning so I had to use my boyfriends inhaler which didn't work until I used it so much I went dizzy and stuck my head out the window took antihistamine it seemed to calm down but then my throat was on fire and my head was banging. Anyway next day was completely fine so I bought some dust masks (FFP2 which I know should be FFP3) so I came to do another set yesterday wearing the mask and same again throats burning head banging chest feels slightly tight nothing like the other night. I took a funny turn half way through felt so shaky sick and dizzy and had to get some fresh air. Again felt fine once I went to bed and slept it off. Same again today except I used the sensitive odour free glue and took another funny turn although not as bad. What do I do? Should I try the FFP3 mask will it make much difference? My eyes are burning and my chest and throat is sore. I have severe hayfever but other than that I'm usually okay allergy wise. I'd had my lashes done for a year prior to the first reaction so it's like my body had built a resistance then couldn't fight it no longer. I'm worried if it happening again as bad as the first night when I'd inhaled the glue as I abseloutely sh*t myself and was going to ring an ambulance as I couldn't even talk or take a breath. Can someone give me some advice or a glue to use as I can't do this as a job with this happening!! Had it happened to anyone else??? Thank you!! Xxx

EDIT !! When I said new to lash extensions I meant new as a TECH not a CLIENT ****

Damn that's a severe allergy. Try the ffp3 masks and you can always try to de-activate the allergy with your doctor. But it's a lengthy process and I'd only go for it if it was too important for you.

I have an allergy to the adhesive. I get flu-like systems. I sneeze a lot in the evenings and get bunged up nose and chest pains.
FFP3 can help but not if you have sever allergy. You need a mask that will block out VOC's (volatile organic compounds. I will upload a pic of me with mine on!

Attachments

• lash mask.jpg
    lash mask.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 254
I have an allergy to the adhesive. I get flu-like systems. I sneeze a lot in the evenings and get bunged up nose and chest pains.
FFP3 can help but not if you have sever allergy. You need a mask that will block out VOC's (volatile organic compounds. I will upload a pic of me with mine on!
You really lash like that? What do your clients say?

You really lash like that? What do your clients say?
Yes. I get the client all ready and they close their eyes and then I put my mask on just before putting my adhesive out. I remove my mask before they open their eyes so they don't see it :)

I was wondering about using one so that's great to hear. My nail clients seem surprised when I use my mask for filing.

Oh god girls im excited about this mask!

Can you tell me what it is exactly so i can look into getting one? I have a bad allergy to L& P that started a year ago (flu like symptons, bunged up, ear ache, wheezy chest & finally closed airways & unable to breathe!) i stopped doing acrylics but I can feel it going that way with lash glue & spray tan solution now...

Would the mask work for spray tanning too do you know? Xx

Fyi, when you have an allergic reaction where you can't breathe, you should use an epi pen. Go to your gp and ask for one. Also may be worth asking for a skin prick/allergy test. If it happens again, phone 999 and state 'anaphylaxis'. They'll come straight out x

That sort of reaction can kill you. I have anaphylaxis to sesame and nuts so I know how it feels x

Flu like symptoms is one thing, being unable to breathe with your lungs feeling like they're on fire is very serious.
I can't believe you haven't seen a GP yet?
I had similar symptoms when doing gel nails. I was referred to a consultant who advised me to stop doing Nails (Gel/Acrylics) immediately or risk a fatal attack. I sold all my kit shortly afterwards.

I listened to a really interesting discussion on BBC London yesterday all about allergies.
It is an increasing problem, and really needs to be taken seriously.

A reaction can be fatal - you could be left unable to care for yourself, communicate, blind, paralised......this was what happened to one young woman after eating something containing nuts whilst she was on her holiday.:(

Once your body's immune becomes overwhelmed, there's no going back.

I had a client in recently wanting her hair coloured.
In consultation, she casually mentioned that she reacts 'weirdly' to some colour....
"The last time I had a colour, my throat closed up".........
WHAT!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

She just didn't get the severity of what had happened to her.
I explained that I could not even skin test her - that alone could push her immune over the edge.
Still, she did not take on board my explanation.....I even contacted L'Oreal whilst she was in the salon for back up.
She did come back for a cut, but told me, she will continue to colour her hair herself. :rolleyes:

I had a client in recently wanting her hair coloured.
In consultation, she casually mentioned that she reacts 'weirdly' to some colour....
"The last time I had a colour, my throat closed up".........
WHAT!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:
She did come back for a cut, but told me, she will continue to colour her hair herself. :rolleyes:

Good grief!
And after having a serious reaction with long term consequences, she'll no doubt blame everyone else and try to sue the makers of the box dye... :confused::mad:

I'm allergic to lash glue. My allergy built up over a period of five months having lash extensions. It didn't affect my breathing but made my face and eyes swell. I was devastated at the time but would never risk having them again, even with so called 'sensitive' glue.

I have also considered training in lash extensions but feel that exposing myself to those chemicals regularly will give way to further reactions. Some things are just not worth it and your health should always come before cash as it's not something you can replace.

Latest posts

Back