Severely bitten nails - what should I have done?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caitey

Reaction score
Hi,

I had a bit of an experience yesterday and just wondered if anyone has any advice for me!
I am a mobile tech, I use ProNails gel and their peel off system and IBX. I have a reputation for caring for the health of the nails and working to grow and repair natural nails.
A lady got in touch with me asking for gel with extensions on her fingers and gel on her toes. We arranged an appointment, via Facebook. I have my number clearly available on my facebook page. I checked FB that morning and no messages, so off I go, 30k (I live in the Algarve so I cover a large area of Expats) and when I get to her road I check FB for her house number and I discover that she has messaged me on FB to cancel.
So we arrange another appointment and when I get there I took a before pic, which I have attached. She has bitten and picked all of her nails to halfway down the nailbed. More in some cases. I tell her it's the worst I have ever seen (I can't believe she's not bleeding everywhere) and explain that I can't use tips as there is not enough nail for them to adhere to. I will have to sculpt them all. I explain that it won't last long as 2/3 to 3/4 of the enhancement is not attached to anything. She says she knows it won't last long but she usually goes to a cheap NSS in England and they put tips on no problem and they stay on for ten days or so.
I spend three hours in there building these nails, putting colour on etc. The shortest one came off as I tried to shape it. She was getting quite vocal about how she really had wanted tips so I put a tip on that one, careful to only get glue on the nail. I just made them all to the end of the finger. Because of the lack of nail, they were angled away from the fingers a little.
I didn't get to take an after picture as by the time I was finished she had told me that she didn't like them at all. They just didn't look good. Which, in all honesty, they didn't look great, but I am sure that they looked as good as possible under the circumstances. She was quite unhappy and said again that she wished I had just put tips on. She said that they last long enough and they look good. She admitted that they wreck her nails when she takes them off. I explained that it is a circle: she will never get any kind of nail because the time they are 'protected' is offset by the damage she does each time they come off. She really didn't care and refused my offer to take them off there and then, saying she would take them off and go to the cheap NSS when she is back in England. I offered her a discount as she was unhappy and neither of us mentioned her toenails. I just wanted out of there by then!
So - could I have done anything different? Should I have just given her tips? Should I have taken one look and refused to do anything other than IBX? I just felt horrible when I left. She has promised not to trash me on FB, which is where a lot of my custom comes from, I really hope that she doesn't!
TIA xx

Attachments

• bitten nails.jpg
    bitten nails.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 453
Last edited by a moderator:
This is the worst case of bitten nails I have seen! When a client books an appointment I always ask about the condition of the nails and if they say they are bitten , I ask for a picture ( if on FB) so I can give her the options beforehand . Plus it gives you a chance to decide if it is even worth attempting it. You did what you thought was best for her nails so don't give yourself a hard time x

I honestly don't understand how someone can do that extreme damage to themselves and then expect you to provide them with beautiful nails! I have extended the nails of many nail biters but I think I would have refused that one. Although it was an unpleasant encounter for you I think we have to stand up for our own knowledge and experience sometimes and just say no. Hopefully you won't hear from this particular client again.

I find a lot of biters are quite embarrassed by their habit but will at the time of booking the appointment always ask how short they've been bitten and I warn them that I will do my very best but sometimes it simply isn't possible.

Also I never, ever offer any sort of guarantee to a biter, in fact I advise them that often they may not last as the underlying support structure for the enhancement isn't there. We need to keep their expectations realistic.

Whoaa those nails are terrible. Can i ask why you chose to put gel on her? Gel is useless for extreme nail biters. Acrylic would have been a better choice but I wouldnt have put any sort of enhancement on her and told her im not touching them until theyre healthy.

Thanks guys, I feel a bit better now! I haven't trained in acrylic, only gel. Honestly, if she has walked into a salon that's what I would have said - just IBX. I have learned a valuable lesson, I think, to get pics before I go!

Honestly, I love IBX but in her case I doubt it would help much. First of, she wouldn't "sign" up for regular maintenance with IBX as one treatment isn't enough. Secondly, she wants instant gratification and lastly, gel is hard to use on nails that severely bitten.
Reverse acrylic application in a cover pink to extend the nail so it can look cosmetically pleasing. Shape into a smile line and use sculpting forms to build the free edge. Acrylic sticks to just about anything.
Weekly follow ups to ensure they aren't picking or trying to nibble. Any sign of foul play I refuse to work with them.
I have had many many nail bitters turn their habit around they have to want it bad enough and with acrylic powder it is easily achievable.

Latest posts

Back