Shades eq

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica14933

Reaction score
Going to try out shades eq

any advice for root tap
In My previous post I explained I normally use 6.01 richesse but it throws out to much gold..
I want a nice cool/flat 6.. was thinking may be 6na+7n?

ive done some research into toner for the midlength and ends so a nice creamy blonde
9n+9p+9v?
10n+10vv?
10n+9v+9p?

Any one here use eq regularly have any good advice x

I use Redken in salon. In my experience the NAs are extremely flat and dense colours and only really should be used for corrective work. If you are looking for nice root colours the Ns NB, GB and even WG are nice colours. My standard go to is 7n+6NB

If you are looking for a creamy blonde I would make sure to include either a natural or atleast clear into the formula. Ideally you should leave Shades for 20 mins so for example I might use 1 part 10N 1 part 10VV 1 part clear and process for 20 mins. The naturals are violet based anyway but also stop it going too dull and the clear just sheers out the dye load to allow you to develop for 20 mins.

Don’t rinse too early, if you have formulated correctly with either a natural and or clear don’t worry if it processes dark. I find it best to actually walk away and let it do it’s thing otherwise you’ll have 10 mini breaks downs In the time it’s developing.

Sorry just realised you said you wanted the roots flat! I would still avoid the NA and would opt for something like 6T instead. The background colour is still black to grey like the NA colours however it’s a little more forgiving.

I use Redken in salon. In my experience the NAs are extremely flat and dense colours and only really should be used for corrective work. If you are looking for nice root colours the Ns NB, GB and even WG are nice colours. My standard go to is 7n+6NB

If you are looking for a creamy blonde I would make sure to include either a natural or atleast clear into the formula. Ideally you should leave Shades for 20 mins so for example I might use 1 part 10N 1 part 10VV 1 part clear and process for 20 mins. The naturals are violet based anyway but also stop it going too dull and the clear just sheers out the dye load to allow you to develop for 20 mins.

Don’t rinse too early, if you have formulated correctly with either a natural and or clear don’t worry if it processes dark. I find it best to actually walk away and let it do it’s thing otherwise you’ll have 10 mini breaks downs In the time it’s developing.
Thank you this is v helpful..
it’s for my self..
I normally foil alt blondand 6ish then wanted to root shadow and tone with the eq.
I want the root to be cool (no warm
Glow which the richesse is given me)
do they come out dark? Is 6 true 6

If you look at one of the shade charts above it it says what the background colours are. Anything with a grey to black background if used on its own will come out 1-2 shades darker.

I would never add warmth into my colours when using L’Oréal for a natural or cool result but with Redken Shades you need to in most cases. A 6N should come out very true to tone and neither warm nor hugely cool. A 6N has a blue/violet background colour in it so it does have cool pigment by itself to counter warmth.

Make sure you saturate the hair well. You’ll notice it almost lathers up a little bit which can deceive you into thinking you have applied enough but when it comes to rinsing you’ll get translucence and splotches.

It’s a great colour line and will allow you to create pretty much any tone and shade without having to worry about how it turns out as long as you formulate correctly. Background colours are key to pay attention too. I had a love hate relationship with shades when I first started using it but once you get the hang of formulating with it it puts other colour lines to shame.

Thank you so much this has really helped. I may just go for the 6n on my roots then.. and I’ll add the clear to the toner on midlengths so it dilutes a bit

Latest posts

Back