Shadow on L&P pink & whites

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahxxx

Reaction score
Morning geeks
I'm currently at college doing level 3 in nail services to refresh my memory as I hadn't done a stroke of beauty since had my son 2 n a half years ago, however since iv gone back I keep getting a shadow across the smile line, I don't really understand why? At first my tutor thought it was because i was dragging the pink over the white but after watching me she said its not that ? So she told me to make sure I clean my brush with fresh monomer and change it after doing the White before doing the pink, which i have been doing, can any of you guys think of another reason why it might be happening? The other thing iv just thought of is I am using my old brush that i used to use before I took time off could this be the reason? It's about 6 years old now and towards the end of my pregnancy I became ill and lost interest in everything and maybe wasn't treating my poor brush as well as I should have been

Can be mix ratio, when balls are too wet they get shadows from monomer.

I've has this too, I can't see it when I'm doing it but when I've finished you can see it if you turn the hand round so you can see the nail from another angle if that makes sense, doesn't always happen though :/

I remember having this problem when I started nails the first time round. I found it was due to the fact that I was getting monomer on the nail plate just below the smile line by either: tidying the smile line with a brush that still had monomer on it, or using a too wet ratio when doing my zone 2, and also pressing too hard, hence pressing the liquid from brush as I was butting up to the smile. This also affected the strength of the nail.

Could it also be that a tip is not blended quite enough?
I'm sure the more experienced geeks will be able to clarify this for you, but once I got my ratio sorted, the problem stopped.

I actually stopped doing nails because I just couldn't master this. Don't do as I did, (struggle on and try to fix it, you can't on your own), keep working with your tutor till you get to the bottom of it.

I've a lot of work to do to develop skills, I have my new kit coming, and really looking forward to doing some more training.

There you go! Knew you would get the correct information.

Thanks guys that makes sense I know it's not my blending as I feel really confident with that I dont however feel confident with my mix ratio I sometimes seem to get it too wet which thinking back now is when I get the shadow maybe I need to sit and just practice ratios to try n crack it! Iv been doing calgel n I dont get it with that I feel 100% confident with that, I love l&p but this shadow thing has been driving me mad! Lol,
Thanx geeks

Sarah what nail product range are you using? The reason I'm asking, there are some fantastic clips on you tube about mix ratio, one is from fingernailfixer using CND, and the other is Gemma using a different range. They could both help though.

I know all systems have there own mix ratio and it can be frustrating until you get it right, but it's so worth it when you do.

It is not your mix ratio that is off ... Everyone's mix ratio is different in every bead.

Your problem is caused by not layering your beads (like roof tiles) over each other; instead you are butting one bead up against the other so the difference in mix ratio shows up clearly, particularly when you are using opaque powders.

Learn to layer your beads. Your educator really should know this technique and should have picked upon the reason you are experiencing 'tide marks' in your work.

Place your zone 2 bead and feather it out towards the eponychium ( do not create a ledge at Z2.

Place your Z3 bead on top of the thinnest part of Z2 and then work it back to the eponychium and then feather the bead out towards the free edge ... You will not see tide marks ever again. This is CND education ... Hope it helps you.

PS ... Fill in your profile information ... That helps us to help you.

Thank you I'm not getting shadows between z2 and z3 it's right on the smile line ? My tutor said it could be because I'm dragging the pink across the White? and that the pink should butt up to the White? I'll have a look if iv got a photo that shows this up well and post it

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338882299.088592.jpg

I don't know the answer to this but could it be the way the white is being applied? I say this as I did my own the other day and on the first finger I used white powder and then for the others I just put clear over my white tips ( I was being lazy!) anyhoo, I noticed that my white powder one has the shadow but my others don't. I would be interested to know why too! X

The picture helps

Your zone 1 (white) does not have a consistent sharp line. When you look at the white sideways straight after applying it, it should look like a sharp wedge with a straight up and down back.
The nails in the photo had high and low dips around the smile. Where there were low points the pink then fills them in making the smile line wavy

The shadow behind the smile is because the pink is not opaque enough and you are seeing the dark coming through it from below the smile line

Here are some tutorials to help with your application
Million dollar smiles
L&P smile lines

Hths - your educator should have been able to see and explain this ...

Thankyou this was the very first set I'd done in 2 & half years

Sorry press send by accident
The fingernail fixers video was really helpful gonna try n have a play today see if I can crack it thanx everyone for your advice x

Hi :)

Just another pointer for you, I was always taught to use 3 colours for a pink and white application. Z1 was obviously white Z2 was a clear bead and Z3 was a pink bead. Try this technique you may find it helps with the shadowing. X

O right yea I'll give that one a go thanks Hun

Latest posts

Back