Shampoo for dry scalp?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly-Tara

Reaction score
Hi there i have bleached hair, and find that my scalp is very dry and flakey, just wondering what shampoo and conditioner would be best for this? Thanks

Hi there i have bleached hair, and find that my scalp is very dry and flakey, just wondering what shampoo and conditioner would be best for this? Thanks

Hi , it may be that it is more of a medical problem that your doctor or pharmacist need to sort out,
Nizorelle is available on prescription or from your pharmacist on his/ her advice,

from hairdressers point of view,
when washing your hair make sure you only address the scalp as this is the only area that we need to cleanse,
the rest of the hair gets cleansed enough automatically in the rinsing stages as the shampoo runs through it
so we dont need to rub any shampoo in the ends of the hair at all,

so after you wet your hair massage the shampoo with your fingertips into the scalp only,
rinse well cocentrating only on the scalp with fingertips massaging/ rubbing movements as you go,
repeat,
then after you have rinsed the scalp for the second time
then give it another extra long rinse rubbing the scalp as you go

if you have greasy hair then only apply the conditioner to the mid lengths ends of the hair if , if its dry massage it into the scalp then again rinse really well rubbing the scalp with the fingertips as you go

everyone only ever needs to concentrate on cleansing the scalp when shampooing (as its only the scalp which attacts dirt as it is gets greasy)

The shampoo will automatically cleanse the rest of the hair as the shampoo is rinsed out

if you apply shampoo to all of the hair (which you dont need )
it will make the ends of the hair dry and it will need more conditioning treatment afterwards,

so try the above with the extra rinsing first
and if it doesnt help then perhaps you need a prescription ,
hope this helps :)

I use Loreal series expert shampoos with my clients and I find that the Norma is good one for a dry scalp, also a scalp tonic treatment with Cynol Scalp tonic might be ideal if you suffer with a itchy scalp also and it soothes the scalp, it also helps to prevent reformation of a dry scalp.

Dont go for anything to strong to begin with, the worst thing to do if its only a dry scalp is treat it like dandruff as the pruducts for dandruff are so much stronger.

I wont recommend my favourite for this problem as its not a salon professional line, but its the one iv found to work the best by my clients. hth's :)

Thnks for your advice everyone :)

i also have bleached hair and i got ezema on my scalp and i find using lavendar oil clears best part of the dryness up...try holland and barrats then once you've washed your hair put a few drops in fresh water and just wash hair as if your rinsing hope this helps

Hey thanks i have eczema aswell so prob have exactly same as u! i wil try that then thanku x

deffo worth a try hun :) if not then maybe try some different kind of oil on your scalp ask what they would reccommend need any more pointers jus pm me :)

x

i also have a dry scalp and have highlights. I'm looking for a product that will help but won't do anything to the colour. Can anyone recommend anything?

Pureology hydrate would be the one I would send my client home with. Intense hydration, without residue, no silicone or sulphates and won't fade colour. Plus UV protection.

Hi,

I bleach my hair A LOT! :o and I use a leave in conditioner, any that is on offer in the shop usually, but the trick I have found is when I bleach my hair and then rinse it and wash it, I slap on as much good conditioner as I can and leave it on for as long as I can.

Normally, colouring my hair takes a good few hours, I bleach it, wash it and then leave the conditioner on for aaaaaaaaaaaages

I've been bleaching my hair now for 4 years and my hairdresser says my hair is in good condition because of this 'trick'

I've also used coconut oil, hot oil treatments and umpteen leave in conditioners and hair masks, I think the trick is to do them as often as you can, I do one of them everytime I wash my hair, but I do have short hair

Good luck :)

Latest posts

Back