Shape of brush & monomer liquid

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slhallford

Reaction score
I was rummaging through my brush drawer the other day. I pulled out my old kit Prostyler to practice with for a while. I normally use my EZ flow 508 and I noticed that the prostyler seemed to hold a lot more monomer than my 508.

Does the shape of the brush affect the amount of liquid it can hold? For instance, the round #8 of the prostyler vs the flatter oval shape of the 508, would that mean that the 508 literally would hold less liquid if the amount in the dappen dish was the same when you load your brush? Or are they considered as two different sized brushes? I was thinking that the 508 number meant that 508 was a #8 size brush but I could definitely be wrong about that.

Thanks!

S

How much liquid the brush holds depends on the size of the BELLY of your brush, and the quality of the hair in it. ;)

I would say your round brush has a bigger belly that the other, and that's probably why. I don't know the actual size of your EZ Flow brush though, so my work is not law on that lol... ;)

I use a 508, what a fab brush that is .. . . I'm with Heather in that I would think a round belly MUST hold more liquid than a flatter one

Well Heather is absolutely right, of course!! :)

I use all size brushes ... but the quality of the CND brushes is unsurpassed from the length of the hair to the hand tied craftmenship and I wouldn't swap any of them for anything else. Never felt the need.

Thanks, everyone. I go back and forth between those two brushes. I can't quite nail (ha, ha) my mix ratio with the prostyler, whereas w the other one it's much easier for me. It's all up to more practice, surely.

S

Well Heather is absolutely right, of course!! :)

Well, Heather, when are you moving to California to be my mentor?! :green:

S

Yup, my ezflow size 8 round brush (ezflow 308 brush) holds more monomer than my ezflow size 8 oval (ezflow 508 brush). Both of them are excellent brushes - I absolutely love them!

Hee heee.

I may be starting up a thread in chit chat shortly lol "TO APPLY FOR THE CND INSTITUTE OR NOT."

Mentor schmentor ;) We have THE GEEKS. :)

Yup, my ezflow size 8 round brush (ezflow 308 brush) holds more monomer than my ezflow size 8 oval (ezflow 508 brush). Both of them are excellent brushes - I absolutely love them!

I have worked with a 508 for quite some time and have been worried that I may go back to using a No.6 brush at some point in the future for work purposes....you just get used to a certain brush and change can be hard.
I've never used a 308 so would be interested to hear what the difference is from the 508? How do you use it, in comparison to the 508?
If that's not a complicated question? :hug:

I have worked with a 508 for quite some time and have been worried that I may go back to using a No.6 brush at some point in the future for work purposes....you just get used to a certain brush and change can be hard.
I've never used a 308 so would be interested to hear what the difference is from the 508? How do you use it, in comparison to the 508?
If that's not a complicated question? :hug:

I mostly use 508, don't use the 308 (also size 8) very often. I'm still in the process of getting used to 308. But here's what I find different about the 308 compared to 508:

Both brushes are size 8. The 308 is round, whereas 508 is oval. So you''ll notice that the 308 definitely picks up more monomer, as compared to the 508. And the bristles feel "narrower" and "longer" than the 508 (err, what I mean is that the 508 brush feels firmer when pushing product around :rolleyes:). I find my deep smiles actually look sharper when I use the 308 too.

But I still can't do without the 508, mainly because I've gotten so used to working with a 508, just like you!

If you mean size 6 brush, then its the 306 Artist Point brush. It's very good for art design, like flowers. Because the brush is smaller, we can work with smaller dryer beads, very very good for art. But my favourite choice for art will still be a size 4 or 5 brush. It really makes a huge difference, creating designs with a smaller brush makes the details stand out 10000xs sharper, and 100000xs easier!

Hope this helps! :hug:

Latest posts

Back