Sharing a business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_beauty

Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could give me there views or advice. A family friend builds log cabins/ granny pods on a bit of land. He has all the permission and the go ahead from the council. He has offered me a unit to do my business from instead of doing it from home, theres going to be different units all doing different things. I've recently been contacted by a local hairdresser who is also going to be renting a unit, she want to know if she can go into business as in we share our unit half will be a hair salon and half will be my beauty den. The unit will be a big size, I was wondering if anyone could help Part of me would like to agree but then part of me thinks that if I did, would I have to change my whole business idea, would I have to change my whole idea of the interior I want? also will there be enough room? Also, would we have to call the business a different name? It would be so we both have the same entry and exit points for clients, also will my clients find it relaxing listening to hair dryers while having treatments. Would we need to agree on an insurance company? or can we have two different insurance companies? I've only just started this business and I dont want to be messed around and I also don't want to make enemies by saying no. Also if things didn't work out I wouldn't know what to do. (I'm not sure if I worded this the best). I literally don't know what to do.

Reading between the lines you haven't mentioned one good thing about the potential merge so I don't think it's the right plan for you right now.

All of your questions are really good and valid and absolutely should be considered and answered before going ahead, you've thought of just about everything. No-one can really answer them for you, it's things you'd need to work out between you regarding, interiors, business names, etc. but it really doesn't sound like it's where you want to be.

If you had a clear view of how you saw your business going forward and are confident in that, don't let something sway you away from your vision

Your friend has planning permission for these pods but does that cover them being for business use? Very different permission to residential or holiday use.

Secondly, have your own pod. It’s noisy working next to a hairdresser and very different atmosphere for the client. Fine if you only do nails but won’t work if you plan to do quiet relaxing treatments.

Go by yourself if you do it at all

I would absolutely hate to go to my hairdressers for a "relaxing " beauty treatment. The clients are numerous at anyone time so chatty etc, radio blasting out and the hair dryers are a real din. It would not be for me. Plus their phone rings much more than mine! Lol. it would drive me mad.

Just say to them something like this "It's a no from me sorry " because;
" I am not really 100% certain that my business will be sucessful and it is to big a gamble at this moment in time to commit and you don't want to mess him/ anyone around" blah , blah, blah.
Do it alone...so much better. Less mither and you'll make more money which is what is the name of the game actually.

Latest posts

Back