She brought her own "Shellac" to her appointment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Omg you wouldnt go to a hair salon and take your own dye with you????
How rude!! Just goes to show how a lack of training and knowledge these people have in shops to be advising clients.
Xx

You would be surprised how many people ask me if they can bring there own colour to the salon and me put it on for them. Oh and then say well you won't charge me for te colour as I bought my own.

X

Omg you wouldnt go to a hair salon and take your own dye with you????
How rude!! Just goes to show how a lack of training and knowledge these people have in shops to be advising clients.
Xx

I'm in a salon, and yes we do have clients bring in their own colours!! Professional products, and 1 even brings in their own 6%! lol but not many, and they are die hard loyal regulars.
But I do think it's cheekyx

Lmao, so funny
omg, people who do this make me cringe, i mean its so ignorant, don't they know that

oh to have been a fly on the wall.... hilarious!

Haha, some people!!! How rude...

Slightly off topic though gr8nailz, I thought Shellac was being taken off the menu, did the owner manage to be swayed to keep it on? :)

OPI's new gel polish hasn't hit the market yet. As soon as it does, the plan is still to discontinue Shellac. :cry:

I'm the OP on this thread and read some insightful replies here on possibly my having been a bit more delicate with the client since she had been duped by an unscrupulous nail supply shop. Here's my take for your consideration:

Her statement that the shop owner would basically call me a liar didn't sit well with me, but I let it roll off my back instantly. This was the sales pitch of a dodgy salesman. HOWEVER, "You're just a nail tech" combined with "How stupid are YOU people?" combined with everything else? Well, let's say it set my blood boiling. And since I am native american and latina, I have a lower boiling point than most.

Set aside the fact that I have a master's degree from my previous career...I'm tired of the assumption that those of us in the beauty profession are nothing short of knuckle dragging neantherthals who ended up in this line of work because we lacked the intelligence to do anything else.

Call ME stupid and I'll make sure to show you that you didn't bring enough ammunition to the fight.

Last edited:
I'm the OP on this thread and read some insightful replies here on possibly my having been a bit more delicate with the client since she had been duped by an unscrupulous nail supply shop. Here's my take for your consideration:

Her statement that the shop owner would basically call me a liar didn't sit well with me, but I let it roll off my back instantly. This was the sales pitch of a dodgy salesman. HOWEVER, "You're just a nail tech" combined with "How stupid are YOU people?" combined with everything else? Well, let's say it set my blood boiling. And since I am native american and latina, I have a lower boiling point than most.

Set aside the fact that I have a master's degree from my previous career...I'm tired of the assumption that those of us in the beauty profession are nothing short of knuckle dragging neantherthals who ended up in this line of work because we lacked the intelligence to do anything else.

Call ME stupid and I'll make sure to show you that you don't have enough ammunition to fight with me.

Id have told her to....off! Cheeky woman!

If Im considered or called stupid one more time ill scream. I too have a degree. I think they don't see past the tan and hair!

You were in the right. No way are you there to be spoken to like that.

She probably will feel stupid when she realises its her that's stupid and has been ripped off x

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

Any idea when we will see these opi products? Off topic but u seem to know your stuff :)

Any idea when we will see these opi products? Off topic but u seem to know your stuff :)

In the US they're set for late October/November launch. The reviews haven't been good but I like to try products myself before I make a determination.

But she did have the real Shellack, the one with the K!

My mum emailed me last week with the very latest skincare treatment that she thought I might not have heard of. The Olay one! :eek:

omg, this is hilarious. And.... she had the cheek to argue with you as though you knew nothing. Sometimes the public make you want to scream :) x x

But she did have the real Shellack, the one with the K!

My mum emailed me last week with the very latest skincare treatment that she thought I might not have heard of. The Olay one! :eek:

Aahhhhh, bless her eh.

Jacqui xx

It's very tough and one of my pet hates, people thinking we're stupid because we work in beauty. I have to say, I don't get it from clients at all, more people you meet at social functions and so forth. Oh and school mums who don't work and have no money.

gr8nailz you're so frigging COOL!!! :green::green::green:

I love this thread. I can't believe how dumb she is.

Well handled. Ha ha ha x

OPI's new gel polish hasn't hit the market yet. As soon as it does, the plan is still to discontinue Shellac. :cry:
Oh boohoo :( Thought you'd got away with keeping the Shellac.. hopefully the OPI won't take off for you and the management will realise their mistake x

HOW RUDE !!! You showed that bitch good and proper ! About calling u stupid - bloody cheek !

just googled "shellack" but nothings coming up for it. i actually really wanted to see what it looked like lol

All sounds quite harsh in my opinion. This woman was lied too and had been ripped off. I'm sure we can all act on impulse and say the wrong thing...

Just a heads up, please be aware that the general public and that means possibly our clients, have access to this site. So please be careful what you call your clients, because your comments could may come to haunt you......google spider indexes a lot of things and you may even find your comment coming up, including your geek name, this has happened before. So just a quick heads up on that one xxx

I know its a bit odd taking your own product to a salon, but hey we all have the choice to say politely no, because we don't know what they are actually bringing to our table and would our insurance cover us? Great get out clause to mention to clients.

I would have politely declined and said something like, of that's a fab colour but its not our product line, so sorry we can't use this here, you understand insurance regulations and so on.... smile and see where she take it from there. xxxx

Last edited:
Well I never heard the like! I'm not quite sure if I'd have been stunned into silence or gone off on one! lol I think the fact she was so rude and not even willing to consider the fact that she had been lied to by the store no way would I have tried to win her round!
I don't mind if a client brings their own polish as long as its workable, but with shellac I have layered to make the same colour or as near to the clients polish.
As for the stupid, alot of folks (not particularly clients they seem to appreciate what I do) seem to think I'm a thick, but to be honest I don't care as I'm always 2 steps ahead............:lol: if its to do with my career choice I love to baffle with jargon!
@shedunlop pmsl! bless thou she was just thinking she was being helpful lol xx

Latest posts

Back