She didn't hang up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ste

Reaction score
Hi all
Sorry just want to vent, called one of the girls the other day to discuss a re launch party we are planning and she didnt hang up, so i heard her talking about me and how it gets on her nerves that i call her she is self employed but i respect her opinion and im not just doing this for me she wants new clients too, also went on to say she wants to ask for more money but i already pay her 60% and provide products, i feel so betrayed but also like i have done something wrong by hearing the conversation with her and her friend :(

End the tenancy! She's asking for it bitching about the person who's doing the leg work to bring in clients. X

Thats how i feel although knowing her she said nothing i dont think she wouldnt say to my face, its the fact she wants more money as her treatments dont cost as much to do as the others, i dont want to seem like im coming on here and doing the same just dont know who to turn to had it have been any one else i would have gone to her to talk about it oh and shes covered on my insurance too !!

I would say nothing ... you don't know who she was talking to or what kind of a day/evening she had been having up to that point.

She may have been in a frustrated mood and being mean just to let off some steam.

It's a snapshot moment and you don't have the bigger picture.

We all say things that we may not necessarily mean and certainly in the privacy of our own homes.

So long as she is pulling her weight in the salon and behaving correctly towards you I would continue as before.

I understand that to but dont feel like i can trust her, i work so hard and it guts me to think time away from my kids building up my salon and thats how im thought off, thats why i came on here as i feel really mixed up about it all but i think shes on a more than fair deal :(

I understand that to but dont feel like i can trust her, i work so hard and it guts me to think time away from my kids building up my salon and thats how im thought off, thats why i came on here as i feel really mixed up about it all but i think shes on a more than fair deal :(

It's your salon so you have to be the one who puts in the hours and to be away from your family ... it's not the responsibility of any one else in the salon.

Although it's jolly nice when they all pull together .. but it's your venture, not theirs.

Either you have other reasons not to trust her or you are acting rashly by deciding you can't trust her based on this incident.

And as the salon owner you need to develop a tough skin, people don't have to think nice things about you to work for you.

They have to do their work and act in a polite and professional manner.

Up to the moment you eavesdropped on her conversation you said you respected her opinion ... that does not change because she was mean about you .. or because she wants more money.

Consider having a chat with her next week to see how she feels about the current set-up and seek feedback from her and see what transpires.

xx

Ye i understand and thats why im finding it so hard i see your point and probably agree with you, had i have just hung up i would know nothing but for some reason i didnt and i heard, my be i am at the over thinking point, and i know the things she said she would say to my face so im not saying that shes two faced but i dont know any one that pays more than 60% and provides all products may be i was meant to get a heads up on her asking for more so i can say err NO !

Ye i understand and thats why im finding it so hard i see your point and probably agree with you, had i have just hung up i would know nothing but for some reason i didnt and i heard, my be i am at the over thinking point, and i know the things she said she would say to my face so im not saying that shes two faced but i dont know any one that pays more than 60% and provides all products may be i was meant to get a heads up on her asking for more so i can say err NO !

Her 'package' seems more than fair!! And if she were to ask for a better deal it should be a straight no.

I can't help but feel perhaps she should also have her own insurance if she is self employed.

It will be a little difficult for you to 'forget' what you heard but if you don't it is going to affect your whole working relationship with her.

Don't let something personal cloud an otherwise good business relationship.

Chin up my lovely .. the moment will present its self and you will be able to broach the subject of pay etc ... and kill it dead.

xx

Yes thank you, i have joked for the last few months i need to grow a pair so may be they will drop in any day just in time, she hasn't got her own insurance as she only works one day a week, and said it wasnt worth her paying out for it, so mine covers 3 so i said not to bother, she obviously forgot about that wen shes banging on about the crap deal she has ;)

60 is more than fair, the average is 60/40 to the supplier of colour and product. If she wants more then set her a flat rate, remove her from your insurance and let her get her own stock. She will soon realise what an idiot she was x

I think i will leave it, not say any thing but will be ready for her asking then i will have gone over it so many times to my self i will be strong and straight with her, if she wants to pay rent for the room may she would like that better whats the going rate on rent ? Then she can do the advertisements,and get her own insurance, card machine ect ect ;)

I think i will leave it, not say any thing but will be ready for her asking then i will have gone over it so many times to my self i will be strong and straight with her, if she wants to pay rent for the room may she would like that better whats the going rate on rent ? Then she can do the advertisements,and get her own insurance, card machine ect ect ;)

Rents vary on area, so its a toughie. Look online or call local salons x

Thanks guys x

I bet if you said something to her she would feel really stupid. We all say what we don't mean behind closed doors. We all feel really entitled for the work we put in and I bet she was just speaking those thoughts out loud. 60 percent is generous. Keep your boundaries. Don't let what she said run you or change how you think about her pay.

This is good .. perhpaps you should really ponder on sorting out the terms and conditions for her self employment.

Do as Tomme has suggested and research how these things operate in your area and come up with a revised plan.

Then sit down with her and 'negotiate' so that the final decision is fair to both of you.

If you really want to keep her because she is going to bring business in for you be prepared to bend a little bit on things she wants.

But know the things you must have from the agreement.

Don't let her silly and hurtful comments colour your judgement.

Just take time to think about all this stuff ok, don't rush in.

Business head before emotional head ok :)

xx

Ye your right, but cant help but think i could get someone in thats happy to be in the salon for walk ins, to build the clients up and then they would make more money, after all one day every 2 weeks is not enough ( it was meant to say 2 weeks further up) and how do you mean bend a little? do you not think she is getting enough do you know of other places that pay more i may think about suggesting i get someone else also on the days shes not in, the point of the phone call in the first place was to plan a re launch party for that side of the business but im not doing that now after all this i know it may seem like im cutting my noes off but im spending enough at the mo with re furbishing the salon and yes i am annoyed about it i may well get over it soon just how i feel now :) thanks for all your views its really helped i think lol x

You will be better off with a set rent per week (not per day) if you decide to keep this girl as she can't be earning a lot for you 1 day every 2 weeks - think of that 1 days earnings (40% minus product costs) as 2 weeks rent - I bet she is paying pennies. If she agrees to a set rent then I'd expect her to be there a lot more often working in order to pay her bills & buy her products.

Personally I would sit her down and tell her that if she only wants 1 day every 2 weeks you have decided to get someone else in. This isn't earning you a lot as your only taking 40% and your spending some of that on products & salon running costs too - including her insurance (usual split is 60/40 with the 60% going to the person buying product).

I am sure you will get lots of people interested in renting a room from you if you advertise what you are willing to give them as you are giving a lot. A self employed therapist should be doing their own advertising, definatley should have their own insurance & should be running their own busines inside yours. This therapist doesn't sound like she is wanting a very sucessfull business if she is only willing to work 1 day every 2 weeks but is moaning about how much she is earning.

A re-launch is the perfect time to re negotiate with her, if you are planning an event to increase business it is the right time to get therapists on board keen to grow their own businesses. I agree with the other Geeks, if she is only prepared to work once a fortnight you would do better getting someone else in to cover the time she is not there.

She should have her own insurance and should also take her own money, not use your card machine. That can become messy with accountants and taxes ( I imagine)

I learned a long time ago that it is not a good thing to be friends with your staff, you can be friendly, kind, polite,fair and absolutely great to them but friendship is a different thing. Always keep a little distance from staff, it is much easier when disciplinary issues arise and you dont feel as guilty when you need to sort any problems out.I am speaking from experience and learned this lesson the hard way.

Latest posts

Back