Shelf life of your tanning solution - let's compare!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l.a.m.x

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I am hoping we can compare the shelf life of our tanning solutions? How long before you get the dreaded green tinge! :confused: I know they all have manufacturing guidelines, however, looking for feedback based on your experiences, not a label on a bottle!

I am looking for a new solution, as I don't tan a huge amount I need one which will last for some time! I've just thrown out half a bottle of Nouvatan- never again am I wasting a product!

I find LA lasts for literally months which is great, but would like to try something new..

So, what solutions do you recommend and how well do the last?

Xx

Ps I always store correctly in case you think i am not! :wink2:

I've just gone to apply tan on myself at home and have 3 bottles of green fake bake :/ the original cream! I find it always turns quickly!!

I have thankfully never had this green tinge with my fake bake solution, but then again i guess it i never have it longer than 6 weeks. Xx

I find this with Fake Bake too AmeliaR!

I know the product is of a perishable nature, however, I need something that's going to last for a few months, or more! Xx

Still using a bottle of sienna x from early feb 2012!

Where I work we use st.tropez and it turns green within a matter of weeks :/ however where I used to work we used the cheap skin truth solution from salon services and it lasted ages. We always get complains about the st.tropez, I tried it myself and once the residue is washed off its still tanned, but doesn't look very good applying it to clients and could cause a rash

Where I work we use st.tropez and it turns green within a matter of weeks :/ however where I used to work we used the cheap skin truth solution from salon services and it lasted ages. We always get complains about the st.tropez, I tried it myself and once the residue is washed off its still tanned, but doesn't look very good applying it to clients and could cause a rash

That's shocking!!

And how do you find the Skin Truth solution? Do you like it in comparison to others? Xx

Yeah it is really embarrassing, but our st.tropez rep says it is fine, if it was my salon I would not be using it and probably switch tan. We used to get a lot of compliments about our skin truth tan, iv actually had one myself tonight and it has gone a lovely colour, the only issue is people may opt out as it's not a very well known product, but I'm sure if you did a promotion to get people in
and try it for a discount price as an introductory offer, people could see for themselves and word get around that it is actually good and cheap!

I might add that St.tropez add a hint of green to their tan to stop it going orange, this may be a reason it turns green quite quick too

If the tan turns green in the bottle can you still use it and will it still work? I'm curious as I always end up binning mine.:eek:

I use Nouvatan and have never had it turn green, even my least used %'s which I sometimes have for months and months!

I was looking at a brand earlier this week, urban tan I think, anyway their solution was available in wine box containers, vacuum sealed. I thought it was actually a pretty neat idea.

We still use it and it does work BUT I'm not happy about using it, as I say, it's embarrassing trying to explain to clients. I wouldn't be happy as a client having a green tan sprayed on to me. Just need to use it quicker, we don't get a lot if tans in because we are a spa x

where are you all keeping your bottles? i keep mine in a box in a cool room and never had a problem. I dont get many tans and keep bottles for a year at a time. I am just about to use some this morn that i have had since may last year and yes ive checked it!! I use LA Tan xx

where are you all keeping your bottles? i keep mine in a box in a cool room and never had a problem. I dont get many tans and keep bottles for a year at a time. I am just about to use some this morn that i have had since may last year and yes ive checked it!! I use LA Tan xx

I store mine the same as you Souz. However, I use LA too and have bottles from last summer which are still going strong! By the sounds of it LA must be one of the better ones? Xx

I store mine the same as you Souz. However, I use LA too and have bottles from last summer which are still going strong! By the sounds of it LA must be one of the better ones? Xx

i agree i think it is one of the better ones just not as well known which is a shame. I love the gold colours, love how it just fades and the fact it doesnt come off on clothes or bedding and if a tiny bit does it just washes off. Ive usedso many over the years but this is my favourite.....client loved the tan i did this morning and was impressed with how natural it looked!x

I bought some LA tan in November 2011 & then stopped using it. Moved onto another tan, then went back to the la tan (a year later) & it was fine x

i keep mine in the fridge so they dont oxidise to quick. the greens only conteracting the brown base- so they dont look like shrek! xoxo

Another vote for LA Tan. I too have bottles still going strong from over a year ago and not a bit of green in site yet, they are perfect. I store them in my salon in my storage area bit where it is very cold as there is no heating in there. Very impressed with LA Tan full stop and can't see why I would ever switch :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I use LA and Nouvatan and have had some of the less used %'s for over a year and they haven't gone green. I also have some small samples of Laurens way and Suntana in my fridge and they are fine too (been there for months).

Latest posts

Back