Shellac – increasing insufficient coverage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbara1505

Reaction score
At the moment am a little bit disappointed from Shellac. I am a Shellac girl throgh and through and very proud to have every single colour and that as a holistic therapists who is doing in the nail sector only natural nail treatments with Shellac , but that very successfull since four years. But in my opinium the colours get growing with a insufficient coverage or in other words they have lost the high coverage quaility. I am looking back wishfull to he times of the early collections where only two coats were enough to get full coverage. Since perhaps two years there are not less colours who needs three coats. Ok, I settled with this but by the way – to get full coverage with „Salmon Rush“ I need 4 coats:irked: and that that is very nerving, costs time and money.

I don`t know what is with the collection "Garden Muse". It´s not available in Germany yet.

What is yours opinion and what do you do? Change to other brands? At the moment I try only for myself Cuccio veneer who advertise with the triple pigmentation and therefore only two coats. I have two colours yet, they have a good coverage but surely I can`t form an opinion with only two colours:) – and at the end would like to stay with Shellac – nice application, nice, quick and easy removal.

I am a CND Shellac girl through and through, and hand on heart I am having no issues with coverage of any opaque colour. I'd suggest trying out stirring and thorough shaking :)

Sent from my SM-G850F using SalonGeek mobile app

I am a CND Shellac girl through and through, and hand on heart I am having no issues with coverage of any opaque colour. I'd suggest trying out stirring and thorough shaking :)

Sent from my SM-G850F using SalonGeek mobile app

I have a Robart Paint Shaker, more shaking is hardly possible:)

I don't have any issues with coverage either. The only colour I ever needed to do 3 coats of is Sun bleached, and I have lots of colours and Shellac is my primarily service.
I have 3 colours out of Garden Muse (the green would not be popular with my clients) and none of them have any problems with coverage. Butterfly Queen I have to go a bit thicker on coats, just because of how textured it is, but it doesn't wrinkle in the lamp, so I have no problems going a little thicker to get full coverage.
Do you give your colours a good stir/shake? That is very important! I was tired of constant shaking and got a shaker machine, and it's been a godsend! It does all the shaking for me, while I'm doing something else (usually a removal) and my colours are actually going on even more nicely now!

I don't have any issues with coverage either. The only colour I ever needed to do 3 coats of is Sun bleached, and I have lots of colours and Shellac is my primarily service.

I have 3 colours out of Garden Muse (the green would not be popular with my clients) and none of them have any problems with coverage. Butterfly Queen I have to go a bit thicker on coats, just because of how textured it is, but it doesn't wrinkle in the lamp, so I have no problems going a little thicker to get full coverage.

Do you give your colours a good stir/shake? That is very important! I was tired of constant shaking and got a shaker machine, and it's been a godsend! It does all the shaking for me, while I'm doing something else (usually a removal) and my colours are actually going on even more nicely now!

Could I jump in and ask which shaker u use? Thanks :)

As I said above, I have a Robart Paint Shaker:green: and it shakes for me like crazy.

Thanks - I did read urs was a robart paint shaker but was wondering if Russian doll used the same one or a different one :)

I am thinking of getting a shaker because it takes me ages to shake my bottles until they r the right consistency :)

Thanks - I did read urs was a robart paint shaker but was wondering if Russian doll used the same one or a different one :)

Oh yes, I think so :confused:, the info was in first line for Russian Doll because she asked me if I would shake enough ;).

Oh, I do it, do it, do it and I love my Robart Paint Shaker and can recommend it to you!

Thanks at all ladys for your replies!

Could I jump in and ask which shaker u use? Thanks :)

I use the ProShaker by iZen. It's very small, doesn't take any space at all and works like a charm :) well, at least for now I haven had any problems with it. And I think we posted at the same time with Barbara, so I didn't see she had a shaker too before commenting :)

Last edited:
The other thing I wanted to mention-have you tried going a little thicker with your coats in general? I know they say thin to win, but I noticed that some colours (Romantique is the first one that comes to mind) when applied too thinly go stricky and/or don't give me the coverage I want. So I apply them a bit thicker from the first coat with a light touch, and it works well.

Hi, ive not got any issues with coverage with any, i have 25 colours for mobile work, and 40+ in the salon i work, i sit with my colour and top coat under each leg tonwarm up, than shake for 10 secs, perfect everytime,if their cold their thick and glupy x x

Sent from my HTC Desire 300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sometimes I notice in class, people that struggle to get good coverage can improve it by adjusting the angle with which they polish.

Try polishing with a light touch, keeping the brush more parallel to the nail so it smooths the colour on- so the brush bristles hardly bend.
Those using more pressure, bending the bristles and polishing at a higher angle to the nail create 'peaks and troughs', leading to a streakier more uneven look or pulling the colour right back off.
A light touch is all you need :)

I hope this makes sense- i've had a long day! :lol:

That weird that you just started not getting enough coverage, but did before. Sometimes i dont get enough coverage with vinylux. and wind up doing three coats. But i havent had any issues with vinylux.

But i wont use any other brand of no-chip. Especially since i learned that the brands that are harder to get off are more damaging to the nails because we use an orange wood stick to scrap

The other thing I wanted to mention-have you tried going a little thicker with your coats in general? I know they say thin to win, but I noticed that some colours (Romantique is the first one that comes to mind) when applied too thinly go stricky and/or don't give me the coverage I want. So I apply them a bit thicker from the first coat with a light touch, and it works well.

Since the desaster with Fedora years ago :)I make very thin coats, sure....
I think it is really a balancing act between thicker coats and perhaps then good coverage and the wrinkling problem.

Perhaps we should start a new thread: "Shellac colours who need thicker coats and even though do not wrinkling" or something in this way (sorry for my english:o).

Thank you, Russian doll for this suggestion! I try to trust to do this.

Since the desaster with Fedora years ago :)I make very thin coats, sure....
I think it is really a balancing act between thicker coats and perhaps then good coverage and the wrinkling problem.

Perhaps we should start a new thread: "Shellac colours who need thicker coats and even though do not wrinkling" or something in this way (sorry for my english:o).

Thank you, Russian doll for this suggestion! I try to trust to do this.

Haha, trust me, I totally know what you mean about Fedora! Had that wrinkling disaster myself. Same thing happened with Sun bleached-that's why I do 3 really thin coats of it. So you are right that you need to get to know the colour first, as some colours tolerate thicker coats while others absolutely don't! But generally after the first time you apply a new colour you'd know the way it acts in the machine. And I also should second the suggestion about a lighter touch-this also definitely works for me (same way it does with regular nail polish).

Latest posts

Back