Shellac and acrylic courses...Help!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren:).

Reaction score
Hi :D
I am currently at college part time doing my nvq level 2, i was going to do level 3 but iv been told that it would be quicker to do workshops/courses myself. I'v been looking at some courses and its all a bit confusing, if anyone could help me find the best courses in shellac and acrylic it would be great! Also will these courses be enough for me to start working for myself and get insurance?? Thank you :lick: Lauren xx

I am currently doing the ITEC NVQ (level 2) in manicure & pedicure, this runs for 7-8 weeks. I will then go on to do ITEC level 3 NVQ Diploma in Nail Technology which runs for around 20 weeks. I wanted to ensure my qualification was widely recognised and would allow me to get the necessary insurance.

I attend a private college called The Cenral College of Beauty. I work full time Mon-Fri 9-5 so the flexibilty of the courses the college offers are fantastic. Im sure they have colleges up and down the country.

Other professional awarding bodies are VCTC, CIDESCO.

Hope this helps!

Have a look at the sweet squared website x
www.sweetsquared.co.uk

Thanks! :) I've filled out the contact form so will just be a case of waiting to hear back for now. I want to do as much as i can afford and as quick as I can but not so quick that i pick a dodgy course that will get me no where. xx

Thanks! :) I've filled out the contact form so will just be a case of waiting to hear back for now. I want to do as much as i can afford and as quick as I can but not so quick that i pick a dodgy course that will get me no where. xx

You wont go wrong picking the courses from Sweet Squared. I've been there over the years and they keep bringing more and more out and I've tried other brands and not had the same results as what I get with Creative. All the tutors there are fab and are there to help after your courses

You wont go wrong picking the courses from Sweet Squared. I've been there over the years and they keep bringing more and more out and I've tried other brands and not had the same results as what I get with Creative. All the tutors there are fab and are there to help after your courses

I'll def give these a go then! Would you say it's better to do it this way rather than doing my nvq level 3 that lasts a year then? In this i would learn acrylics, silk and fibreglass, but from what i can gather theres not much call for silk and fibreglass anymore? x

I'll def give these a go then! Would you say it's better to do it this way rather than doing my nvq level 3 that lasts a year then? In this i would learn acrylics, silk and fibreglass, but from what i can gather theres not much call for silk and fibreglass anymore? x
I'm halfway through this course and yes you are shown all 3 systems but you only choose one as your qualified learning one, I enjoyed the fibreglass and will do a further course on it as its amazing for natural nail repairs but I chose acrylic as my enhancement of choice. Initially I too believed we'd do all 3.

As for insurances, I'm looking into ABT as its one of the ones students can practise their things learnt in college without a mentor watching over them, means you can practise at home. It does state that you can only charge say for products and you MUST let clients know you are training, it's a fab price for students do go search it out :) HTh

I'm halfway through this course and yes you are shown all 3 systems but you only choose one as your qualified learning one, I enjoyed the fibreglass and will do a further course on it as its amazing for natural nail repairs but I chose acrylic as my enhancement of choice. Initially I too believed we'd do all 3.

As for insurances, I'm looking into ABT as its one of the ones students can practise their things learnt in college without a mentor watching over them, means you can practise at home. It does state that you can only charge say for products and you MUST let clients know you are training, it's a fab price for students do go search it out :) HTh

Just reading this thread, And im in the same boat, but i completed nail technology in 2010, i stopped for a year and now getting back onto it. And im going to be doing a course from S2 and cant bloody wait.
But also thankyou victoriabar because iv had struggle finding a good insurance while im this practising and now going to contact ABT now youve said that :)

So i would be better of doing a course in acrylics rather than the nvq as thats what im more interested in? Theres so many options its confusing! I had a look at ABT and i will be getting the student insurance on pay day so thank you for mentioning it, iv been looking at which to get! x:)

So i would be better of doing a course in acrylics rather than the nvq as thats what im more interested in? Theres so many options its confusing! I had a look at ABT and i will be getting the student insurance on pay day so thank you for mentioning it, iv been looking at which to get! x:)
Personally I would say do the NVQ, it's a recognised qualification and you also learn much into the bones, muscles, blood, health n safety and contraindications.. ALL of which you need to know and understand, a year may sound like a long time but it's really flying by.. We are enjoying acrylics right now and am glad I've done it the NVQ route :)

Latest posts

Back