Shellac and bad practice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazjp69

Reaction score
I've been to see a new client today and had to shake my head in disbelief at what she has been telling me about her last nail tech.

When she first made the booking and asked for a file and polish I asked if she wanted normal polish or shellac and she answered very quickly no shellac and her own polish.

After talking to her she has told me she had been having shellac and it made a mess of her nails and they were splitting and breaking. I asked if she had been putting solar oil on regularly she looked at me as if was talking in a different language and asked what oil? Then told me when the last nail tech had removed the shellac she had taken the wraps off and scraped the shellac off with a metal tool. I shook my head and said no wonder her nails were a mess if she hadnt been given oil and a metal tool is used to remove the shellac.

Why why why are nail techs using this practice and losing custom and giving shellac a bad name?

Unfortunately some people think they know it all and basically don't care and aren't interested in learning about or understanding a system such as Shellac...who's to say it was the real thing!!

She's just lucky she's found you and you are able to educate her and look after her nails and help get them back to the condition they were in before the other tech hacked at them. I'm sure you've found yourself a loyal customer :hug: xx

it does give the brand and the rest of us techs a bad name....i dont know why these people dont find themselves another job! you have to love what you do in nails and beauty or there is no point.

ive been competing with a nail salon in my village (some of the nails i have seen have actually shocked me!!), luckily the salon has now closed and alot of the clients are coming to me and i am educating them (or at least trying to)

do what you do hun and dont worry about the rest!! good wins over evil every time lol

I was just going to put on a post today in regard to shellac. I had a walk in today who i squeezed in for a re shellac, although her shellac looked just like moonlight and roses french when i came to remove it, it did not budge! Now as i had squeezed her in, i went against what we should do and i gently buffed the shine off before using the wraps with de-solve and i always pop the hands into terry towling mitts then into heated mitts to help with the removal. After 10 minutes i removed the first hand and the product was not as shellac usually is where it just fall off, the stuff was stuck fast. The removal took so long, another 10 minutes back in heated mitts did not make any difference so i felt given my timing pressure i had no choice but to use my pusher to gently push off as much of it as i could before re-shellac ing.

I asked the client if the products looked like all the ones i was using and she said it looked the same.

I was mystified.

I also use gelish and it was much harder than gelish to remove

Any ideas?

xxx

I had a lady in who was surprised when I used foil/cotton and an orange stick as her 'normal lady' peels them off for her!!!!!

I had a lady in who was surprised when I used foil/cotton and an orange stick as her 'normal lady' peels them off for her!!!!!
wow thats utterly shocking!

Ohhhh my word!!!! X

it all beggers belief dont they realise if they do a good job they will keep a client. I seem to have got a new client who is happy for me to go and do her nails and pedicures due to last tech just not giving her that extra time and info to help look after the nails.

oh my goodness! what on earth would posses the tech to do that?

Unfortunately for as many as there are bad therapists there are as many clients who don't care either which is why so many 'drill and fill' nail salons thrive as they are quick and the nails last such a long time. Some people don't care about the health of their nail or that they aren't getting a decent treatment.

Yep! One of my clients went to a very expensive salon in our very affluent town to have the Gelish I put on removed and a new set put on while I was on holiday a few months ago. The tech (if you could call her that) peeled my Gelish off.

My clients nails then started tearing close to the free edge and were very weak. All my hard work gone down the drain because of one crappy nail tech who charged twice as much as me for the privilege. :Scared:

I was just going to put on a post today in regard to shellac. I had a walk in today who i squeezed in for a re shellac, although her shellac looked just like moonlight and roses french when i came to remove it, it did not budge! Now as i had squeezed her in, i went against what we should do and i gently buffed the shine off before using the wraps with de-solve and i always pop the hands into terry towling mitts then into heated mitts to help with the removal. After 10 minutes i removed the first hand and the product was not as shellac usually is where it just fall off, the stuff was stuck fast. The removal took so long, another 10 minutes back in heated mitts did not make any difference so i felt given my timing pressure i had no choice but to use my pusher to gently push off as much of it as i could before re-shellac ing.

I asked the client if the products looked like all the ones i was using and she said it looked the same.

I was mystified.

I also use gelish and it was much harder than gelish to remove

Any ideas?

xxx

I had the same experience. the receptionist asked me how long for a removal shellac I said give me 20 minutes ( 10 to soak and 10 to remove). so I was given the time. the clients shellac did not soak off!!! it was like the acetone did not even penetrate through the shellac! then i asked her if it was the cnd bottle and she said it was the opi gel. I told her if its cnd or opi or even gelish it would have come off already! i ended up filling the top coat so the acetone could penetrate faster but still NO LUCK! (i dont do this, it was only on her maibe it would come off) the acetone did not do ANYTHING to the color the color was still on like if i had wrapped her fingers with dried wraps. after 30 minutes i told her to go back and have the previous salon remove it and to make sure what they were using is the real opi gel color. she told me she was 100 percent sure it was opi gel and she had had it removed before. ;)I was shocked! am i doing something wrong I thought lol. then she left. my regular client came to have her shellac removed and it came out in 15 mins! nope it wasnt me! people need to be carefull!!:eek:

I am aware that opi has its own removal liquid but acetone works as well. so I dont really know what caused the problem here.:rolleyes:

I had the same experience. the receptionist asked me how long for a removal shellac I said give me 20 minutes ( 10 to soak and 10 to remove). so I was given the time. the clients shellac did not soak off!!! it was like the acetone did not even penetrate through the shellac! then i asked her if it was the cnd bottle and she said it was the opi gel. I told her if its cnd or opi or even gelish it would have come off already! i ended up filling the top coat so the acetone could penetrate faster but still NO LUCK! (i dont do this, it was only on her maibe it would come off) the acetone did not do ANYTHING to the color the color was still on like if i had wrapped her fingers with dried wraps. after 30 minutes i told her to go back and have the previous salon remove it and to make sure what they were using is the real opi gel color. she told me she was 100 percent sure it was opi gel and she had had it removed before. ;)I was shocked! am i doing something wrong I thought lol. then she left. my regular client came to have her shellac removed and it came out in 15 mins! nope it wasnt me! people need to be carefull!!:eek:

I am aware that opi has its own removal liquid but acetone works as well. so I dont really know what caused the problem here.:rolleyes:
There are so. Many fakes out of China around and they are nearly impossible to soak off ... My question is really more important , I think ... Why are so many salons and supposed professionals trying to hoodwink the public by way of using fakes ?? Are they so greedy? I can't think of ANY other motivation for doing what they are doing other than greed .. And for what? They are obviously not keeping their clients.

I also wonder if some of these women aren't doing their own nails with a home kit of some sort and just saying a salon did them. Who knows?

I also don't know why technicians think they may have done something wrong if a product doesnt remove? How can you do a removal wrongly if you normally always do it correctly? I wouldn't even think to question if I had done something wrong, when I know I do things right! Why do people do that? :eek:

Slightly off here, but talking about fakes, something that shocked me recently, a friend who is also a beauty therapist and works in a well established salon said to me "I was going to buy my own shellac kit at the beauty show but guess what, A client came in and has bought her very own kit off eBay with everything in it for less than £100! Isn't that great" I didn't know what to say. I did fill her in. Scariest thing, she's currently training to teach and she doesn't know this!!

Knock-offs are everywhere.
When it's not a knock-off, it's a different product entirely but the tech is referring to it as Shellac :rolleyes:

As for using a metal pusher - IF the product IS shellac and is READY for removal; a gently-rounded edge pusher isn't going to cause issue.
I prefer them because it takes less passes than the orange-wood stick (because it's wider) AND I'm not contributing to pollution and waste. (I am NOT talking about the ones with a straight edge that's sharp and almost like a blade).
There is no pressure required, so no damage to the nail plate.
IF it's not coming off easily (ie: glitter and/or multiple layers), then add a couple more minutes soak in the wraps and it flakes off just as easy.

This is like the one that I use, one end like a spoon for getting in and around the eponchium and sidewalls, and the flat spoon for GENTLY removing the Shellac from the nail (zero force!!! I just gently slide along). It's not sharp, the edges are rounded. In this case, I firmly believe it's not the tool, but how it's used.
99415d900b2c409a2591b37f9858e92e.image.209x188.JPG

Knock-offs are everywhere.
When it's not a knock-off, it's a different product entirely but the tech is referring to it as Shellac :rolleyes:

As for using a metal pusher - IF the product IS shellac and is READY for removal; a gently-rounded edge pusher isn't going to cause issue.
I prefer them because it takes less passes than the orange-wood stick (because it's wider) AND I'm not contributing to pollution and waste. (I am NOT talking about the ones with a straight edge that's sharp and almost like a blade).
There is no pressure required, so no damage to the nail plate.
IF it's not coming off easily (ie: glitter and/or multiple layers), then add a couple more minutes soak in the wraps and it flakes off just as easy.

This is like the one that I use, one end like a spoon for getting in and around the eponchium and sidewalls, and the flat spoon for GENTLY removing the Shellac from the nail (zero force!!! I just gently slide along). It's not sharp, the edges are rounded. In this case, I firmly believe it's not the tool, but how it's used.
99415d900b2c409a2591b37f9858e92e.image.209x188.JPG

I agree with you V. I,ve used a metal tool for about a year now for removal and I find it alot better for removal has I'm using less pressure. I use a metal chisel it's not sharp and it sanitises between with no waste. No need to force to product off has its ready to come off anyway. My clients are repeat clients and there is no damage to thier nails. Some I,ve had since gel polish came out. I agree its how the tools are used not the tool itself. I know the difference between scraping off product and nail plate :-D x

Karen Minx & V, even a spoon in the wrong hands is a dangerous weapon lol!!
It's having the knowledge to know when your removing Shellac or scraping the clients nail plate to death! ;)

An orangewood stick in the wrong hands is equally as dangerous a weapon.
It's the fool, not the tool; that causes damage.

It's like saying efiles cause nail plate damage.
No, they don't. Untrained techs using them incorrectly cause nail plate damage.

I've used an orange stick and a metal cuticle pusher and I never have to use force, I find that after about 10 mins of soaking I pinch the wrapped nail, twist and nearly always the shellac come's off, unless it's an imposter, then there's trouble!! lol :)

Latest posts

Back