Shellac and gel polish manicures, help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janatibu

Reaction score
Hi All,
I remember that usual gel polish or shellac manicure should take about 30 min to 1h. In the salon i work they tell me that i need to do it in 20-30 min max! i get some clients with very bad cuticles and who wants to cut nails etc. and i find it almost impossible to finish one customer in 20-30 min(this has to include everything, cos the next customer is waiting in 30 min already). Am i too slow? or what is the normal time to get them done? (im using UV lamp) Thank you xx

I'm sorry but this is just unrealistic timing for the very reasons you're having problems with. And what if someone is coming in for a soak off and re-application? Gel polish and shellac manicures should be booked 45-50 minutes (sometimes an hour ) because of nail and cuticle maintenance and/or removal time. Are the other techs finishing in this time?

Thanks Chickafish!
Im the only nail tech there. But they said that the first nail tech finished in 20 min ( i just can't believe it). I find it that i need 35 min minimum to get everything done. in 20 min i can do only first coat of colour and that's it :(.

It's still not realistic unless steps were cut out. Makes me wonder why the first nail tech isn't there anymore?

I'm sorry but this is just unrealistic timing for the very reasons you're having problems with. And what if someone is coming in for a soak off and re-application? Gel polish and shellac manicures should be booked 45-50 minutes (sometimes an hour ) because of nail and cuticle maintenance and/or removal time. Are the other techs finishing in this time?

We have the same problem surely if it takes us an hour an them 20mins the end product is very different also if I'm paying around £20 ish for them I would rather go to a salon who I know do a good job. I would expect time to be taken on them maybe if you look at their nails and think oh my they are in a bad state, say I won't be able to do the shellac without a manicure aswell this will be such and such, if u can't get them in there n then then rebook but as soon as possible we ask on the phone if their nails need a bit of attention then if yes then we would state a mini manicure will be needed aswell as the shellac is that ok blah hth :)

It's still not realistic unless steps were cut out. Makes me wonder why the first nail tech isn't there anymore?

well if i'd ask they wouldn't prob tell me the truth anyway about the other tech.
im wondering if that's even possible...to do all the cuticle job and cut/file nails...and then shellac/gel polish in 20min :S ?!

Hi All,
I remember that usual gel polish or shellac manicure should take about 30 min to 1h. In the salon i work they tell me that i need to do it in 20-30 min max! i get some clients with very bad cuticles and who wants to cut nails etc. and i find it almost impossible to finish one customer in 20-30 min(this has to include everything, cos the next customer is waiting in 30 min already). Am i too slow? or what is the normal time to get them done? (im using UV lamp) Thank you xx

Not that an LED lamps knocks that much time off a session, but this is a totally unrealistic schedule with a UV lamp. A client who comes in with Shellac already on (and won't that be the majority of your clients?), requires a minimum of 8-10 minutes just to soak off and that's half your time gone already. You then need 6:10 for each hand to cure. So 8-10 for soak off plus 12:40 for curing and you've already used up the entire 20 minutes, with no wrapping, PEP, or application, let alone any massage or treatments. Have them do the math, the numbers don't lie - The math just doesn't work! Maybe for a client with bare nails and an LED lamp (although Shellac does not cure in LED), you could get it down to 20 minutes, but it would still be a rushed and slapdash service.

Our salons allow 50 minutes for removal and re-Shellac, 35 minutes for new Shellac and even that is pretty bare bones in terms of any pampering.

That is really unfair of your boss/es to be putting that pressure on you.
Maybe you can break down the timing for them as said above ie 10mins to remove previous time under lamp etc, so they can see for themselves & maybe suggest 2 pricing options,
1 - Shellac Colour alone only file & Shellac application - 30mins
2 - Shellac Manicure also includes file & cuticle tidy - 50/60mins
Then the client can choose what they prefer & the boss gets 2 options of pricing & you get more time!
This week alone I have had 3 clients come in all wanted a complete different shape nails & lots of cuticle work, taking me 30-40 just to this this alone & I have been doing Beauty 14 years & Shellac since it launched!! So can imagine how much pressure you are under in that short time frame! It takes some clients 15 mins just to decide what colour that want! Lol
I always book out 60mins to do a Shellac or Re-Shellac Manicure & for Gelish Manicure 45mins, Re-Gelish 60mins.
Good luck, keep us posted x

Thanks so much for the support....! I thought maybe im just too slow or maybe there's something I don't know about shellac and gel polish manicures. I've done the maths as well...but I guess...since lots of ppl come in cos of the cheap offers online...my boss wants every client to have max 30 min. so I always end up doing about 10+ clients (every client 30 min)per day with a rush and bad job and complains will all come to me. i'll do my maths for him.
thanks again for the replies!! xx

Latest posts

Back