Shellac and gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gelish also do a a Structure gel so if you do need that bit of extra strength you have it.

You can also extend with Structure which I think ( please correct me if I am wrong) you can't extend the nail with Shellac.

Yes you can not extend anything with Shellac. It's a hybrid nail colour.

Nail designer with a twist;)

I use both. I also use them together, I find the Gelish top coat more hard wearing than the shellac so tend to use that even if the client has shellac colour. The glittery Gelish colours look really nice over the shellac colours too. Does anyone else do this and if so which base coat do you prefer?

By using Gelish top coat over Shellac you cant really call it shellac anymore, can you? Removal won't be as easy cause you have to buff the nails before wrapping them up. Shellac removal clearly states to be the quickest and the easiest of all competitors.

I prefer to stick to the system so I offer my clients exactly what's advertised.

To me it looks very unprofessional using mixed brands on a client.

Nail designer with a twist;)

I use both but if a client chooses a Gelish colour then I use Gelish base, colour and top. Same with Shellac, only Shellac is used with a Shellac colour.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

really your NOT extending the nail with GELISH your extending the nail with their GEL, then applying gelish over the extension!

just like you could extended the nail with BRISA GEL then apply Shellac over that!

BUT... Shellac and gelish are not really designed to use over enhancement! they are for natural nail client to extended the life of the manicure! nail polish with a good top and base coat (i find lumos is th best!) will last 2/3 weeks on enhancements so Shellac/gelish is not needed! if clients have short nails then enhancement is the answer not Shellac/gelish and if they just want a long lasting polish then Shellac/gelish is your answer :) Simple

also i dont like the gelish top coat!! have you used it over french i find it goes yellow! and makes the white tip look like you smoke 40 a day!

and you have to BUFF it also add time to your removal! i love how quick Shellac comes off!! xx

Last edited:
also i dont like the gelish top coat!! have you used it over french i find it goes yellow! and makes the white tip look like you smoke 40 a day!

and you have to BUFF it also add time to your removal! i love how quick Shellac comes off!! xx

I haven't found that the white goes yellow with Gelish.

Its funny how different we all are and that obviously different systems do give us all a choice to find a product that suits us....I personally prefer the consistency of Gelish and find it soaks off quicker than Shellac even if I don't buff it!

I no longer offer Shellac, only Gelish

I offer gelish and clients love it! I took over some ones cliental recently and had to switch every lady from shellac to gelish not one has complained that they don't like it or that it takes longer to remove? I am happy over all with gelish and the selection they have out to begin with. I know the clients are also so happy to have more color selection so they get excited when choosing a new color.
Now to address the yellowing, yes I have had that happen on my sister. She likes the French look and she does not take pro-cautions like wearing gloves when needed for cleaning with chemicals and such. the top coat is porous, just because it is a soak off product seem to always be more porous.

Latest posts

Back